True Runes separating

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
Aerolithe Lion

True Runes separating

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

I'm a little cloudy on the whole topic of when true runes break into pieces, so let me spell out what I've witnessed and tell me if this is right:

The True Gate Rune broke into the Front Gate Rune and the Back Gate rune, both work as true runes as far as immortality and power level go.

The True Rune of Beginning broke into the Black Sword Rune and the White Shield Rune, neither alone act as true runes.

Now some other true rune broke into the Sun rune and the Night rune, both of which are 100% true runes, unlike the previous two examples. However, two smaller runes broke off as well when this happened, twilight and dawn, which are nothing like normal true runes, like the sword and shield ones from before. Except these dont make anything when combined, unlike the sword and shield.

Is this about right?
freshmetal

Re: True Runes separating

Post by freshmetal »

The Sun Rune and Night Rune were never a single un-named True Rune. They were always what they are, however, they were linked to each other. In order to severe there bond, the Night Rune transformed itself into the Zodiac Sword (a.k.a. Star Dragon Sword) thus creating the Dawn and Twilight Runes as a side effect, Neither of which are True Runes.
PSN: FreshMetal80
Aerolithe Lion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

So they were sort of a conjoined twins rune?

Do the pieces of the Beginning and True Gate runes work similarly or different? Immortality, power level, etc.

I'm aware of the unique confrontation of the sword and shield runes, but do endow what the front and back gate runes do? If you weren't aware of the history behind it, you wouldn't even be able to tell Leknaat doesn't have a true rune
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

Here's a great analogy Lemmy used in another thread.
Lemmy Claypool wrote:Windy and Leknaat are able to remain ageless as they hold half a True Rune each, as opposed to a 'component' rune each. The best analogy I've ever seen to explain was coined by Vextor I believe;

Think of a True Rune as a cup of coffee. In order to make your coffee (Rune of Beginning) you need hot water (Bright Shield) and coffee beans (Black Sword). When combined, you get your coffee. However, you can't separate a cup of coffee back into it's components (as in, you can't turn coffee back into beans and water), but you can half it, in which case you have two half-cups of coffee (Front and Back Gate Runes as held by Windy and Leknaat).

So if your cup of coffee grants you agelessness, it stands to reason that the holders of the half cups will each benefit from this. But your beans and water don't grant it until combined.

Sorry if this explanation was a bit ham fisted, I'm all jacked up with head cold. Vextor explained it much more eloquently but I can't remember where to find his post.
The Gate Rune is split into two halves that both still have the properties of a true rune (a cup of coffee split into two cups), but the Sword and Shield are simply components that make a true rune. When seperate, they're not true runes(water and coffee beans). Consider "coffee" to be agelessness. Windy and Leknaat don't age because they had halves of a true rune, but Riou and Jowy DO age because their runes aren't actually true runes.
PSN: FreshMetal80
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

Aerolithe Lion wrote:So they were sort of a conjoined twins rune?

Do the pieces of the Beginning and True Gate runes work similarly or different? Immortality, power level, etc.

I'm aware of the unique confrontation of the sword and shield runes, but do endow what the front and back gate runes do? If you weren't aware of the history behind it, you wouldn't even be able to tell Leknaat doesn't have a true rune
They were indeed linked, like Night and Day (coincidentally). Night, however, got tired of day, or in Suikoden lingo, Night got frustrated with the radiance of Sun and said sod it and he transformed himself into the Zodiac Sword. This severing of the link caused Dawn and Twilight to be created. Not sure if the Star Rune is associated as well, considering Zerase's understanding of the Night Rune.

There's plenty of mystery around the True Runes though. Like the Beast Rune moving from Harmonia to L'Renouille, etc.
Aerolithe Lion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

I would think if one rune can transform its shape and communicate as a typical sentient being, then another traveling great distances isn't exactly far-fetched.
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

They're always banging on about Runes choosing their bearers, and destiny -Genkaku had the Bright Shield and so did Riou. Coincidence? I doubt. My guess is that the Beast Rune (which craves blood sacifices) was not content in the middle of Harmonia, and instead relocated to a less stable region which was on the brink of war. Perhaps the Beast Rune set up residence in L'Renouille, sensing Luca's mental weakness and corrupted him into being a blood crazed maniac?

I've always thought the Beast Rune was kind of random, to be honest. There's a lot of hoohah about it but apart from in Muse (POST OCCUPATION), what use did it really have for the Highland army? If it was the catalyst for Luca's bloodlust (and therefore the entire war), its place as the final boss makes a lot more sense.
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
Aerolithe Lion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

It seems like the more volatile the rune, the more random it becomes.

The rune of punishment just picked people out of a hat when it needed a new host, and Ted was able to give Soul Eater to Tir freely, even when he wasn't on his deathbed
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

They're sentient so it makes sense that they each have their own different "personalities".