Suikoden 1 cultural influences/music

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
Zargabaath

Suikoden 1 cultural influences/music

Post by Zargabaath »

I posted this on GameFaqs and thought I post it here too since there may be more dedicated fans here. Also, let me know if this is the appropriate section to post this topic.

One of the things I love about Suikoden, and Suikoden 1 in particular, is its unique cultural world. Its like a mixture of European, Asian, Middle Eastern, and others. Of course there is the obvious Asian themed towns and music like Kaku, but what intrigues me the most are more ambiguous towns like those in Milich's domain, Gregminster, etc.

Take the BGM in Antei, for instance. I'm listening to it right now. I have the soundtrack and highly recommend you get it. If you don't have it, here's a youtube video of the Antei theme, Peaceful People:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCy-w-an ... L&index=18

It's very exotic. Anyone know what world music genre this is similar too? It sounds kind of Middle Eastern but that doesn't seem quite right.

Another one of my favorites is the Leknaat's Island:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpvA8xhA ... re=related

It has a very other worldly sound. Again, what real life music is this comparable too?

There are many other great tunes so I won't post them all. Feel free to post yours. But if someone knows real life sources for the game's music/culture I would love to hear them.
Iesous

Re: Suikoden 1 cultural influences/music

Post by Iesous »

Black Forest reminds me a bit of Russian music. When I hear it, I think of an old recording of Peter and the Wolf.
Zargabaath

Post by Zargabaath »

Cool thanks for the response.

It does definitely sound fairy taleish, thats for sure. I checked out Peter and the Wolf and see the similarities.

The composers from Suikoden must've drawn from all kinds of different influences. Miki Higashino is one of the composers (she did almost all of Suikoden 2). She must be a brilliant lady.
FliktorForce5

Post by FliktorForce5 »

I think the town's theme in Antei is a celtic composition with indian themes (like tempo and the vocal quality of the "singer" in the background.) it always reminded me of this piece by Jeff Victor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkpmzTsRnKk
But I can't think of any other place to get music that has quite the same mash up of cultures, If I find anything though I'll let you know.
Still waiting for that daring piece of fan art with Zahak and Galleon sharing eyeliner in the bathroom...
Zargabaath

Post by Zargabaath »

Cool, thank you for that.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

You mentioned Milich's domain...I got an English folk vibe from the Teien theme, but that might be far off.
Fei Wong

Post by Fei Wong »

I always liked the fact that the game is hugely based on chinese culture (more than others on the series), like the cities, music, some characters outfits (Mcdohl being the most representative) and other things, and being based on the Water Margin its one of the most influential themes.
Let our mercy as deep as the Feitas and our authority as powerful as the Sun be revealed to the entire World!!
yuberluc

Post by yuberluc »

i loved the music in suiko3 when we were searching the flame champion in FC hideout, it's so mysterious and cold... hmm i dunno.. something about it..
Chaos will suit me just fine
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

The soundtracks of Suikoden is 'world' music really. I guess they try to mix in in the musical styles of all cultures to add to the cultural variety in the games with alot of the usual ''new age'' musical themes that RPG's are are so well known for. What I loved about Miki Higashinos music was that it was heavily Celtic influenced, which REALLY suited the feel and setting of the first two games. I am from Scotland and love the celtic/folk theme here, the same as I love Suikoden ;)