Geil Rugner taking Gregminster

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
Jack of All Trades

Geil Rugner taking Gregminster

Post by Jack of All Trades »

So I'm trying to cobble the information about how Geil took the throne from Barbarossa and here is what I know:

While Barbarossa and all of his generals were away, Michalen died, and Geil and Assam had an abdication trial which involved carefully bribed judges from the Scarlet Moon House of Nobles who named Geil the Successor thus abdicating Barbarossa as Emperor.

I also know that Barbarossa and Claudia had to escape Gregminster and Claudia died in the process.

But what I don't know is what happened in between. I know that Gregminster was nearly destroyed by Geil in the process but I don't know how.

I'm trying to write the next scene in my game but I'm stuck and I don't want to proceed for fear of massive rewrites.

Does anybody know how Gregminster got leveled? I desperately need an answer to this. Or if anybody knows where this information comes from so I can read it myself. Google has yielded nothing. Please.
JanusThePaladin

Re: Geil Rugner taking Gregminster

Post by JanusThePaladin »

I dont know if it means an actual physical destruction. It could be that his Rule was tyrannical, or laxadazical and resulted in a feeling of destruction amongst the populace. Hence why Barbie was hailed as a "Golden Emperor" and a savior.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

JanusThePaladin wrote:I dont know if it means an actual physical destruction. It could be that his Rule was tyrannical, or laxadazical and resulted in a feeling of destruction amongst the populace. Hence why Barbie was hailed as a "Golden Emperor" and a savior.
No, it was actually destroyed. But I guess that came because Geil was to busy fighting Barbarossa and thus Gregminster became corrupt and a lot of thieves and stuff came... destroying the city.
Jack of All Trades

Post by Jack of All Trades »

Bandits eventually came in shortly after the battle and finished it off. The only bandits in the area I can think of are the Mt. Seifu bandits. Does anybody know if Varkas was the leader at this point or was it still Glen? Also, the original question still stands.
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

I always assumed that Gregminster was sacked by bandits while the battle at the fortress of Kwaba was going on and that Claudia was killed more towards the beggining of the war but maybe im completly out... :?
If it's not found out, a lie becomes the truth.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Gregminster was basically looted by Geil's troops-- mainly because Geil's troops were composed of bandits recruited cheaply. This info can be read from one of the official short stories that detail the whole event.

Also, Barbarossa wasn't in Gregminster while the whole thing was happening. He was in the Kunan Region participating in an official ritual to promote plentiful harvest. Also, Claudia died after the Succession War, and during the invasion by the City States of Jowston (Solar Year 447)
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

:D Vextor your endless pool of knowledge for suikoden never ceases to amaze me. Does it state in the story at what point the bandits raid Gregminster? Like was it before that battle at Kwaba? Thanks for the Claudia information as well, im fascinated by all the wars not featured in game like Fire Bringer war, Succession wars, Higheast rebellion etc. I think they add a whole new layer of depth to the suikoverse.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

In the short story, it shows that the town was sacked and ruined way before the battle at Kwaba (it doesn't say how long exactly, but the abduction and rescue of Tir happened in between).
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

:D Cheers for that mate. I guess ill have to wait until the "Axe of the Oath" story is translated by Dragonmasterx to get more of the picture...Damn my inability to read Japanese, i did try when i was younger but i failed German at school and thats near enough english so i've got no chance.