Who is the character you are most interested in?

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Captain Tenneal

Re: Who is the character you are most interested in?

Post by Captain Tenneal »

I've only played through I, II, and III. It's been a long time since I've played Suikoden I so I can't say from there. II is kinda foggy but I do remember Wakaba to be an intriguing character. Probably because of her obsession with martial arts and doing the ridiculous amount of physical exercises (I think she did 500 squats a day or something and 100's of reps of a few other exercises).

For III, I'd say Barts. I liked his laid back yet hard working demeanor and his gentle recommendations for the main character to get up in the morning.
Belcoot4

Post by Belcoot4 »

I find it very interesting that you chose Barts. When I first played SIII I think I was 17 and still in highschool and when choosing my characters then I went alot on the way they looked. I seen Barts picture and I thought he looked pretty cool and I was thinking I was going to use him when. Once I finally recruited him I was disapointed that I couldn't use him but I too liked his physical work ethic and his positive attitude. The NPC's don't get enough credit in most the games in the series unless they have a skill that effects your party characters, like a blacksmith or runemaster. So as for NPC's that don't really effect your party characters I'm really interested in Louis from SIII. I think he has alot of potential due to his age and the fact he is already enrolled to be a knight. He seemed really soft at first with that he constantly wanted to clean Chris's room, going to fetch her horse, and constantly concerned for her well being. I'm guessing his father was a very decorated and respected knight some time ago because Chris mentions to Louis "Your father will never forgive me if I don't make a knight out of you" I liked that Chris kept his mind focused on what his real job would be someday. So I hope to see Louis in the future (near future if Konami gets on the ball) as a grown man and powerful knight.
"Even the dead reveal their secrets to me." Yuber

"I have not lived long enough to become a myth." Chris Lightfellow

"They betrayed us and fled. Cowards." Zegai
Captain Tenneal

I think you're right, the NPCs generally don't stick out much in this series. It would be interesting to see what becomes of Luis' rank. It would also be interesting to see if he follows knighthood or not. I could see him taking up a more supportive or care-taking career.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Captain Tenneal wrote:I think you're right, the NPCs generally don't stick out much in this series. It would be interesting to see what becomes of Luis' rank. It would also be interesting to see if he follows knighthood or not. I could see him taking up a more supportive or care-taking career.
Wow, surprisingly, I thought about a Suikoden 6 some weeks ago which takes place after Suikoden III and ont he Western contnent. I thought of Louis being a Zexen ambassador and a real knight then (he might just hav been promoted to knighthood recently). I think his character is great, but he needs a wild sidekick since he is just toooo calm and polite.

I think the reason why a lot of NPCs don't get much attention, is because they have most of the time not that interesting back-story...Especially in Tierkreis, those who aren't usable in battles are useless (and even some who are usable aren't very interesting).
Captain Tenneal

The focus seems to be on who you use to fight, maybe it's engineered that way. This brings up another interesting point. What did you all think of the Richmond gimmick? The idea that you get to discover secrets about the characters through a detective character. I think this could have been implemented a lot better than it was. For example, a lot of the stuff you learned was trivial (and sometimes disappointing). I think most of the details you learned from the detective should have been learned in-game. There's a lot of characters that I never really got to know because going through the detective was so tedious and the info wasn't worth the time. The detective should've been reserved for really interesting stuff, maybe one or two midlength extras rather than four little blurbs.

I'm mostly interested to see if VI will be cross platform. I know they've been exclusive to Sony but seeing them branch out to Nintendo makes me hopeful that they'll go to Xbox when it's released.
Belcoot4

Post by Belcoot4 »

Richmond is another interesting character. I do agree that the process he sends you through for learning about the other characters' history is a bit tedius and somewhat annoying. I still think he was a cool NPC based on looks and that 'pink panther' like music that plays when you talk to him.

As for Louis, I hope to see him as either a full fledged Zexen knight or an ambassador from Zexen S6 takes place somewhere far from S3. I'd imagine that he would have some sort of side-kick or trainee because thats how he was brought up. He probaly learned the basics of what it meant to be a knight from his father and he probaly learned all of his skills from Chris.
"Even the dead reveal their secrets to me." Yuber

"I have not lived long enough to become a myth." Chris Lightfellow

"They betrayed us and fled. Cowards." Zegai
Captain Tenneal

I liked Richmond, I'm not sure if Kidd (I think he was the detective in III) really pulled it off, he was ok but it wasn't as good as Richmond's presentation.

Historically, a knight could have a page, a youth that would live with them and learn customs, and later combat skills when they were older. This was Louis' case with Chris (and could be Rico's case with Fred) and I'm sure it would be that way in VI, if Louis went that route.
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

I really loved the Richmond/Kidd idea. Even if they were trivial details, it was better than nothing and I was very disappointed to not see a real detective in IV (I think V had Oboro, but I don't remember using him for some reason- did he do the same thing?). I used them more for recruitment than anything; it's nice to be able to recruit everyone first playthrough without a guide. That was the downside of Oboro though- he himself was missable and wasn't available until mid-game when many other characters were already missed if you hadn't found them yet.
Captain Tenneal

It was a nice novelty, and I did have fun seeing what he would come up with. I just wish there was a more immediate/involving way to learn more about the characters. Too bad they skipped it in IV.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I liked the detectives, Richmond and Oboro are some of my favurite characters (Richmond because he's plain cool and Oboro has a cool background story)... Kidd was rather ridicolous :D
Too bad they skipped it in IV.
Yeah, the confession room was a cool idea, bute they just brabbled nonsense. You didn't get a lot of useful informations.

Oh and the worst thing about detectives is that if you ask them about your blacksmith, they just tell you where the hammers are.. bleargh.

@Louis as a full knight: Maybe he starts traveling with Cecile? It could very well be that she is promoted to knight-hood or something.. (an honour Knight, "Defender of Budehuc" :D)
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

I see Cecile with Thomas more than Louis, though they're young knights of the same age so it could be possible.

I saw Deborah as the replacement of the detective in IV, rather than the confessions (that seemed to be a LAME replacement for the plays, which had to be the best mini-game type thing ever- though it probably took a lot of effort to write the scripts for 108 people in various roles so I could see why they didn't do it again). It would be cool if Deborah somehow psychically knew information about the characters so she could still fulfill the same role, or maybe have Oskar do the investigations so that he'd actually be useful.
Captain Tenneal

I loved watching the plays, especially choosing the cast of characters. Watching Cecile act like a wolf was hilarious. Some characters were really awkward in the plays and that was fun, too. This is probably one of my favorite features in a game.

Kidd was ridiculous, I just didn't see how he fit in or what his role in the whole thing was. He just seemed out of place. He seemed like the main character from a children's storybook. Actually... now I know. I know there was a cartoon when I was younger with a character that looks just like him! I can't think of it though...
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Nash made a fantastic wolf, as well. Jacques was my favorite character from III and his roles in the bonus plays were great. For some reason he could be a talking golden hydra, "Ouch, ya got me". I also liked his Juliet, "A woman's role is indeed hard to play" (he said that even though he didn't try and just went ... for every line, lol).

Kidd didn't bother me in the least, maybe because I played III first and couldn't compare him to Richmond or anyone else. I liked the stupid investigation where the dead duck was actually doing yoga (A giant duck doing yoga, now that's ridiculous!) His stupidity was part of his charm, rather than just being an uber-cool mysterious man dressed in black using a trick coin. I had a lot of respect for Richmond though, throwing the coin into the lake for Apple.
Noraibah
Banned User
Location: Kuala Lumpur[ Kota Kinabalu, Sabah ],Wilayah Perseketuan,Malaysia

Post by Noraibah »

I am interested in well lets see...........Actually I find 99.99 of the characters interesting.
I love this forum............to death.I think dying is normal.Just ignore me!
FliktorForce5

Post by FliktorForce5 »

Man, I loved the detective feature in the games. I do wish it worked a bit quicker though, and while it would be nice to discover the details that the detectives offer for each character in-game, there's like 108 of them. They simply can't all have their own sub-quests unfortunately. Though I must admit that some of the details you get are pretty dumb (Edge likes beef-rice?! Who cares?!) and sometimes you just don't get the details you want (Why does Sharon have pointy teeth and red eyes?! Who's her dad? Neclord?!) But it was still a lot of fun to get more details on any of the characters, even if some of said details were useless (Georg loves cheesecake! ...oh and he's been accused of regicide...but...cheesecake!)

On a side note I really have to agree with everybody about seeing Louis again, as an envoy from Zexen, perhaps with an honor guard consisting of Melville, Elliot and Alanis. Personally I think it'd be great if Louis turns out more like Salome, Melville is the skilled one, Elliot is some kind of super-buff poleax wielding tank character, and Alanis is a runic power-house. But especially Elliot, because...who knew?! But any way they decide to do it I'd really love to see any or all of those characters again.
Still waiting for that daring piece of fan art with Zahak and Galleon sharing eyeliner in the bathroom...