Lifespan of non-human races

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
highwind44029

Re: Lifespan of non-human races

Post by highwind44029 »

Twaikin was 40, and he looked a bit younger than his age if you ask me. The chief from Suikoden I was 102. Oddly, the ones from Suikoden V are not listed in the timeline. =o

The chief of Lukiae Ende Towayo was 90, but I don't recall if he (or was it a she?) looked old.
jbd86es

Post by jbd86es »

The programmers [sadly] probably didn't give this questions any thought.
I do think Sylvina's quote was an exaggeration, reflecting her and the other elves' ignorance on humans. I assume the elves probably live more than two and some centuries. I assume this because I believe at the age of 250 or so, you may start to view a lifespan of 40-80 years (humans) as just 50 years. Let's say you are 25, if you have a bad memory or are slightly ignorant (as the elves are about humans) you must date events in your life as happening 5 years ago when then may have occured 8 years ago; you just rememer it happened your mid or late teen years.
I think a fair way of measuring some of the anthropomorphic animal races is by size. Larger animals tend to live longer than small ones. We see Kobolds are typically smaller than humans and live shorter lives. I would guess Ducks would live similar lifespans to Kobolds. Lizards are fairly large and probably live longer. Take the example of Chief Zepon: he has met Geddoe and is familiar with the story of the Flame Champion. Now, he may just be knowledgeable on old lore and could have met Geddoe only 10 or 20years ago, and he was likely the oldest Lizard in the clan, but I believe he lived longer.
As for non-animal peoples, like Elves and Dwarves, these races have existed in many other fictions. I do not know about Dwarves, but in many stories I've read, Elves live several centuries.
Does anyone find it odd that Ducks and Lizards call themselves Ducks and Lizards, rather thand distinguishing themselves from mere animals; the Kobolds do and they do not value education.
Gen. Dirge

Post by Gen. Dirge »

Wow, I like your analogy between the size and lifespan. Very simple yet clever. I applaud thee.
"I wish that days like this could just go on forever....." -Snowe Vingerhut

http://www.kian-sama.deviantart.com | http://saintdouchebag.tumblr.com/
Hey babycakes ;D
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

jbd86es wrote: I think a fair way of measuring some of the anthropomorphic animal races is by size. Larger animals tend to live longer than small ones. We see Kobolds are typically smaller than humans and live shorter lives. I would guess Ducks would live similar lifespans to Kobolds. Lizards are fairly large and probably live longer. Take the example of Chief Zepon: he has met Geddoe and is familiar with the story of the Flame Champion. Now, he may just be knowledgeable on old lore and could have met Geddoe only 10 or 20years ago, and he was likely the oldest Lizard in the clan, but I believe he lived longer.
Mh I agree. mice live very shortly, since they're so small... and lizards seem to be able to live for a long time (turtles, e.g.) But I guess that Lizards don't live longer than humans, but that might come from their aggressive behaviour. they tend to favor war over peace, and as a matter of fact, a lot of warriors die, thus regulating the demography
As for non-animal peoples, like Elves and Dwarves, these races have existed in many other fictions. I do not know about Dwarves, but in many stories I've read, Elves live several centuries.
Does anyone find it odd that Ducks and Lizards call themselves Ducks and Lizards, rather thand distinguishing themselves from mere animals; the Kobolds do and they do not value education.
Dwarves are in almost every fantasy-universe depicted as able to become very old. I guess it's the same for Suikoden...

And yeah, that's odd. But why do they call their homes after themselves? Kobold Village is sooo off.
MermaidKasumi

Post by MermaidKasumi »

Mermaids, like Elves, are regularly depicted as having life-spans much longer than humans usually 3 centuries or longer.