Time of the month:a rant about female characters

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i have felt that the balance between males and females have been pretty for fair for most games i have been playing. true, it's typical to see the main character character category is male dominated and the ones who can deal the absolute most physical damage are the males, but you can see in real-world sports that it is segregated to due the differences in average athletes' abilities: weight-lifting, basketball, track & field. i'm not being sexist and saying women suck or anything, because almost all of the female athletes will kick my ass for sure, but the average results favor men.

in suikoden 1 and 3, the top damage dealers i've seen are women--Shabon barely inches past Augustine (although damage is capped at 9999) with some circumstantial setups and support from other party members. in Suikoden 1, the strongest single attacker was Ronnie Bell and/or Valeria (Pahn can have higher attack but his rune cripples him--average of 1x dmg per round), although Viktor with Double-Beat might get criticals and win...

Lechium, Crowley and Mazus are known to be the best mages. however, Windy and Leknaat's powers are absolutely unknown. Windy claimed to know of a way of bearing two true runes, and we don't know if Crowley knows/knew it or not.

and SARSadmin--yeah i'm wondering how you got 20K with Valeria too. or you can just tell me if her Critical Falcon Attack does 3x or 6x (critical the 2x atk?) dmg.. what else. max stats with stone-rune trick, Exertion, power rings and other equipment, violence...
Soul Eater

Post by Soul Eater »

KFCrispy wrote: in Suikoden 1, the strongest single attacker was Ronnie Bell and/or Valeria (Pahn can have higher attack but his rune cripples him--average of 1x dmg per round), although Viktor with Double-Beat might get criticals and win...
Not meaning to nitpick but I think Viktor and Fu Su Lu can deal more damage than Valeria + Ronnie. Either of them with the right equipment and on max levels will have well over 400 for attack. If you are lucky enough to get Viktors PWR to 255 from level ups and you give him 2 x power rings then his ATK can be 480. Also Fu Su Lu's PWR almost always reaches 255, so it is easy to get his ATK to 465. This makes them deal massive damage, and with a double beat rune I have found it to be greater then Valeria/Ronnie's (even without criticals taken into consideration).

The max damage magic-wise seems to be rune combinations of Luc + Crowley. I have had damage around 4500, but I didn't test it against all enemies so it may be able to be made stronger.

The max damage from unites is either Pretty Boy Attack, Kobold + 1 Attack or Fishermens Attack, all of which can average over 1000 dmg per person.

So basically all my max damage stats come from men, though they may be wrong...
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

it's even harder to gauge damage in S3 with attack "strings" and criticals going through defense, but in a single attack (no Juan with multiple target chance and criticals -_-) i believe Shabon can achieve the highest score. it's nicer if they didn't put a cap on damage though.

well to me, at least, the gender thing is pretty balanced although men do set the upper limits in most categories -_-
Lechium

Re: to be honest

Post by Lechium »

suikofanUk wrote:you'd just go for who looked coolest.
...I always go with who looks the coolest, actually....

I used Landis, Lucia and Viki in S3, Camille in S1 and Sierra (as a frontliner tank) in S2. I played arena in FF7 with RedXIII, not Cloud, and everyone called me insane. In FF9 I took Quina Quin to last dungeon/boss, and everyone laughed, and I barely pulled through heh...

IHMO you should always use charcters whos' "flavour" appeals to you the most, and if he/she sucks -- well you got a fun challenge ahead of you.
KQswst104

Post by KQswst104 »

CameoChic, you're nuts. I'm female and I love how Suikoden treats women as individuals. Some of their stats may be lower, but who cares? Instead of seeing only women who are either virginal or sluts, there are female warriors, leaders, ninja, women who stay home as well as women who lead entire armies. Just like in real life, the women are all different from one another, which is part of the reason Suikoden is my favorite RPG series. :D
InuZamza

Post by InuZamza »

What about Nanami...? I always loved havign her in my party..and when you were suppose to rescue her in the beginning and see hwat happens it was qite a display of strength hehe...~_^
InuYasha + Zamza = InuZamza got it?
Blitzkrieg

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Wasn't Lo Wen pretty strong?
"We are forgotten in times of peace. It's only
when war looms that people remember we exist."
-The Great Leon Silverburg
Argento Breesa

Post by Argento Breesa »

InuZamza wrote:What about Nanami...? I always loved havign her in my party..and when you were suppose to rescue her in the beginning and see hwat happens it was qite a display of strength hehe...~_^
Nanami was always in my party whether it was mandatory or not. She's really storng with just the right combination of runes and sharpened weapons. too bad you can't use her in the final battle.
"If you have nothing better to say to me, then leave me alone." -me
Blitzkrieg

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Nanami...strong? I thought she was really weak. Both in attack and magic. She was only fast.
Argento Breesa

Post by Argento Breesa »

I think that Nanami was strong no matter what. She's awesome in combat and I liked her in my party. Just attach Double-Beat, Fury, and Gale and she kicks everone's ass!!! :P
"If you have nothing better to say to me, then leave me alone." -me
InuZamza

Post by InuZamza »

Nanami+ Riou's Family Attack was awesome against bosses or strong enemies but also was great by herself! I agree if you give her the right stuff she can be quite the skilled warrior!
Yeah i used her through out teh whole game except times she except times she was removed for Jowy and riou to be by themselves until that moment.. I was planning on uing her on the final boss too..-.-U Oh well.
InuYasha + Zamza = InuZamza got it?
Futagi

Post by Futagi »

The amount of female characters may also be lower than males simply because the games were based on the Water Margin. Don't quote me on this, but I believe I read once that in the Water margin only one character was female in the 108. If that's the case, the video game series is doing quite well in the female department:)
Hello Suikoden-type people:D
Shirofan

Post by Shirofan »

There are actually four female stars in the original novel.

Two are fairly minor characters who barely have any appearance in the novel at all.

One is still a fairly minor character who shares fully any appearance with her husband who is another star; and oddly is referenced fairly often, but has little serious plot involvement after her introduction.

The fourth female does appear more often, is noted as a superb warrior; and is initially not married to one of the male stars (this changes as the book proceeds.)
Maldonado

Post by Maldonado »

No, I think female characters are as strong as male. Just look at Hanna for example. Or even better, look at Valeria. At level 60, her stats can easilly match those of Georg, Pesmerga and Humphrey- the strongest front row attackers. It's official, there's not a tiny bit of doubt about it. So no worries, female characters can be as strong as male. As for the magic users, it's pretty much the same, altough deffinitly the most powerful magician in Suikoden 2 is Mazus. :P
Sir Maldon, the mighty knight of Greenland, bringer of fear and destruction, destroyer of wine barrels, pride of Imperial Heavily Armored Knights Special Elite Destroyer Unit, evil monsters' WORST nightmare!!!!!!!!
Blitzkrieg

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Anita, Valeria, Oulan, Ronnie Bell, Emily, Lo Wen, Hanna, Queen, Lucia, Chris, Camille, Cleo, Elaine, Lorelai, Milia, Sharon, Sierra, Sonya, Wakaba, Yuiri, Yumi...

They all are pretty powerful...