Weapon name meanings?

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Exclamation

Weapon name meanings?

Post by Exclamation »

I know I'm not the only one who is interested in the meaning behind some of the names of the weapons. Is there a relatively complete list anywhere out there?

PS I'm not sure if this goes on the character board, but I think it's the most suitable place available.
Just give up and learn to cry.
JanusThePaladin

Re: Weapon name meanings?

Post by JanusThePaladin »

Well, unsurprisingly, Yuber and Pesmerga's blades have the same names. I would assume it has to do with their capacity to draw blood, as crimson is the color there of, but you know what happens when you make an assumption.

We also know that Flik's blade is named Odessa after his lover, and Hix' is named Tengaar after his.
Exclamation

Post by Exclamation »

Those are kind of given, but I meant like Stieglitz, Zaunkonig and Bachstelze from Richard, as an example. I could translate them myself, but that'd take a long time. And then with Georg and his Wind, Moon and Cloud, I wonder if there's some legend behind the names or if they were just pulled out of the air and used.
JanusThePaladin

lol, pulled out of the air. Good pun given the names.

I severely doubt theres a background for every weapon in the suikoverse, but there is probably meaning behind some of them. Someone versed in japanese mythos would know more than i do....
Exclamation

Post by Exclamation »

Not only Japanese, but I've seen a lot of German as well.
JanusThePaladin

Very true, and i know for a fact the german mythos revolves around weapons and their names. I wish i had some better references for you, but it would be much easier if you were to list off some of the names you're curious about?
Quing

Post by Quing »

I know that information on at least some of the weapons can be found from http://www.suikox.com; however, I don't have specifics. I can, however, tell you that the Seven Star Sword (Valeria's weapon) takes its name from a legend (I think Chinese) and the Masamune (an upgrade of Humphrey's weapon, I believe) comes from a Japanese legend about a couple of swordsmiths who try to make the best sword. Masamune wins the contest.
Paler than Moon

Post by Paler than Moon »

There's a weapon called "Matahari" in Suikoden III and in Indonesian and Malaysian that means "Sun".
There's also a weapon called "Makanan" owned by Wilder/Rhett (I forgot which one) and in the same language it means "Food".
"If only..."
But thou art wind!
Do not scream:
thy fragrance deafens.
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

obviously some of them have some meaning on them

some none

i.e. Wow Wand
Addepadde

Post by Addepadde »

Dont really know if this is the cause. But genshus sword is named Kumo. Which is Cloud in japanese.
The fighting 108

Post by The fighting 108 »

I can't really say why some names are given to weapons, but I think in the most part it somewhat embodies how the character is portrayed or fights. Richard was cited previously as the names of his weapon are all in German. Those names are all of small birds, and Richard himself fights darts in and out and pecks away with his rapier. In many cases the names might just be that, names to make the weapon more than just a tool. Historically, weapons might bare the names of their creators, or be given a name to give the wielder a psychological edge over their opponent.
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Just discovered, we have our very own article about some weapon meanings and weapon here on our beloved site!

http://www.suikosource.com/history/weapons/
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!