Suikoden with the best and worst named characters?

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Jeremiah Ecks

Re: Suikoden with the best and worst named characters?

Post by Jeremiah Ecks »

Cool names:
* Scholteheim... (Suikoden's oldest injoke)
* Barbarossa Rugner (he sounds like an Emperor)
* Egbert Aethelbald (I kind of like the fact that he pretends to be aristocratic and the name suits him)
* Seed (I always liked his name for some reason...)
* Lorelai (I love everything about this woman...)
* Galleon (You get the impression that this dude is ROCK HARD with a name like that)
* Sierra Mikain (only other name with this cool factor is Juno Eclipse...)
* Chisato (Dunno, I just like it?)
* Kasim Hazil (He sounds regal and badass... and it rhymes!)
* Fu Su Lu (It amuses me. Cheesey as you like, but still amusing)
* Hellion (Makes her sound very witch-like and magey... suits her)

Rubbish names:
* Thomas, Hugo, Sarah, Gordon or any other overrused name. No need!
* Fubar (LOL, ROTFL!)
* Windy (She needs to stop eating too many curries, then...)
* Beechum (sounds too much like medicine to me...)
* Dilber Novum (Sounds erotic to me...)
* Freyjadour (I know it's not 'official' but either way, it's rubbish)
* Nash Clovis Latkje (he just gets a mention because he has too many names and I can't pronounce his surname at all)
* Belcoot (sounds like a dog?)

-Jeremiah Ecks,
who is Fubar and has a bad case of Windy thanks to his Belcoot, so he needs some Beechum mixed with Nash Clovis and everything will be Dilber Novum in the morning.
"Everything is something, but nothing is everything."
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

* Egbert Aethelbald (I kind of like the fact that he pretends to be aristocratic and the name suits him)
He IS aristocratic, the Aethelbalds were the governing family in Stormfist before the Godwins.
who is Fubar and has a bad case of Windy thanks to his Belcoot, so he needs some Beechum mixed with Nash Clovis and everything will be Dilber Novum in the morning.
LOL
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Names can become lame-ized often because of bad translation. For example, Belcoot should actually be Berkut (Russian for "bear") and Sierra's last name should have been "Mycenae" instead of "Mikain."
Belcoot4

Post by Belcoot4 »

ah you ruined that for me, i like Belcoot the way it is. Its just different, but I am glad to know that some of these names are suppose to be something else because some of them are really terrible. Like Kidd I wonder what the real translation of that was suppose to be. maybe Cid and not Kidd lol
"Even the dead reveal their secrets to me." Yuber

"I have not lived long enough to become a myth." Chris Lightfellow

"They betrayed us and fled. Cowards." Zegai
Jeremiah Ecks

Post by Jeremiah Ecks »

'Bear' suits Zegai more... And on the other hand, isn't 'bear' the name given to Viktor by someone at some point?

Mikain is actually a really nice sounding name, IMO... And in regards to the Aethelbalds, I know they were aristocratic, but isn't it obvious they have fallen from grace? He's living in a sewer, 'cause he's weird, but it's still a sewer for crying out loud. And the Godwin's stripped the Aethelbalds of everything, hence no longer aristocratic.

Sorry, just changing topic again. Naughty me.

-Jeremiah Ecks,
who is a THIEVING-CRAZY-LITTLE-TOPIC-CHANGING-DEVIL. Grump.
"Everything is something, but nothing is everything."
Freak

Post by Freak »

The best Suikoden name ever has got to be Geil. (As in the "Geil Rugner" mentioned in Suikoden I). It means "horny" in German.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Vextor wrote:Names can become lame-ized often because of bad translation. For example, Belcoot should actually be Berkut (Russian for "bear") and Sierra's last name should have been "Mycenae" instead of "Mikain."
Just pointing out that "Berkut" means Golden Eagle, not Bear.

@Freak: Hehe, yes, but I don't pronounce that Name in a Germany way, that really sounds stupid :D
Gen. Dirge

Post by Gen. Dirge »

Freak wrote:The best Suikoden name ever has got to be Geil. (As in the "Geil Rugner" mentioned in Suikoden I). It means "horny" in German.
I kinda learned some German and you're right. It DOES mean that one but I also think there's other meanings to Geil, such as "wicked" and "awesome" aside from the lecherous or lustful or horny and whatnot connotations. But still, you're awesome for bringing that one up.
* Kasim Hazil (He sounds regal and badass... and it rhymes!)
WTFFF I can SO imagine Kasim Hazil as a rapper for a parody fanart. But then I COULD just be the same person making that fanart...thanks for the idea, mate!
"I wish that days like this could just go on forever....." -Snowe Vingerhut

http://www.kian-sama.deviantart.com | http://saintdouchebag.tumblr.com/
Hey babycakes ;D
SuiDOKEN

Post by SuiDOKEN »

I thought the name Luca was a huge drag, especially for a personality like his. I'm dead set of thinking that 'Luca' is a woman's name, because I played Chrono Trigger and the female hero of the group her name was Lucca.
FUUSUULUU

Post by FUUSUULUU »

SuiDOKEN wrote:I thought the name Luca was a huge drag, especially for a personality like his. I'm dead set of thinking that 'Luca' is a woman's name, because I played Chrono Trigger and the female hero of the group her name was Lucca.

I think he was named after Luca Brasi from the Godfather. He was a cold hearted killer just like Luca Blight.
So Sayeth the FUU.
GrayMercury

Post by GrayMercury »

Latkje - - i would think is pronounced LAHT-kyuh

it sounds very swedish.....i don't know, but when i hear it i think northeastern european country.

Hope that helps.

I thoroughly loved the prince's name in Suikoden V.
I mean, his mother's name is Arshtat, his father is Ferid Egan, his aunt is Sialeeds (though, i prefered Syaries) and his sister's name is Lymsleia.....

How does Freyjadour not fit in with that? I think it sounds pretty awesome, well as long as you're pronouncing it as Fray-zha-door.
"Master, Violence is Wrong." - - Dongo (SV)
Gen. Dirge

Post by Gen. Dirge »

I swear to god, I can't spell NOR pronounce Nash's last name for life. ;A;
"I wish that days like this could just go on forever....." -Snowe Vingerhut

http://www.kian-sama.deviantart.com | http://saintdouchebag.tumblr.com/
Hey babycakes ;D
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Gen. Dirge wrote:I swear to god, I can't spell NOR pronounce Nash's last name for life. ;A;
You're not alone!

But isn't it "Clovis" in III? Is that just a localization to make it easier for us, or does he go by a different name for plot reasons?
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

Blutiger Engel wrote:
Gen. Dirge wrote:I swear to god, I can't spell NOR pronounce Nash's last name for life. ;A;
You're not alone!

But isn't it "Clovis" in III? Is that just a localization to make it easier for us, or does he go by a different name for plot reasons?
yeah he uses that surname in order to hide his actual name.

And I can't pronounce it either. . .and I feel stupid when trying. Ha

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
TrueWater00

Post by TrueWater00 »

I bet nash changes his last name in III for plot reasons, i mean, i think of his almost as a secret agent, and an agent isnt going to reveal his real name! and i love saying his real last name, its fun haha
Heh,I'll make sure you can never make that grin again.I'll chop you up!Ground you up!Dry you in the sun!Break you to pieces!Bury you in the ground!Piss on you!Then i'll dig you up!Pull you!Stretch you!Drag you around!I'll Never Forgive You-Viktor