Who trained the Prince with the tri-nunchaku?

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
sunstar25

Who trained the Prince with the tri-nunchaku?

Post by sunstar25 »

Freyjadour uses a quite a unique and complicated weapon in battle. Most of the time he just uses it as a staff or as a tri-nunchaku. Of course, he normally uses it as nunchaku during duels.

It can also seperate in two seperate nunchaku or two short staff. It would have to be twisted in or out either on the center or where the chains are hidden. It would have to take a lot of skill and training for mastery of a weapon like the tri-nunchaku which can be used for multiple purposes. Frey could put the two parts together and make it into a long staff in a split second. Not to mention turning the staff into a nunchaku at the blink of an eye.

I have reason to believe that it wasn't Ferid who trained his son into handling a complicated weapon. Perhaps we'll find out who it was in a future game. Afterall, it was Kai who trained Tir in stickfighting.
Mazinkaiser26

Re: Who trained the Prince with the tri-nunchaku?

Post by Mazinkaiser26 »

Maybe it was Genkaku.

after all he did train Nanami with a similar weapon.
and since he trained riou with tonfa
and Jowi with the staff
and we also see hinm fight with a sword in flashbacks

so he is the only one skilled enough to train multiweapons like the tri Nunchacku
Let's Rock'n Roll! (Black Arachnia)
I don't Rock'n Roll, I Buuurn! (Inferno)

Mazinkaiser
Silver Dragon Flik

Post by Silver Dragon Flik »

Would be pretty cool if there was proof of this.
anakputa

Post by anakputa »

i think it is ferid, knowing how good he is in combat, and in the opening when they watched practiced prince with lyon.

i think ferid trained the prince on how to be as good as a queen's knight.
Yeah, Sierra, all this sun makes us cranky...
VinceValentine

Post by VinceValentine »

Probably Ferid, yeah, Genkaku isnt even in Falena, same with Kai.

Besides it would make the most sense on paper.
Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing the self is enlightenment.
Conquering others is power;
conquering the self is strength.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

The weapon the prince uses (three-piece-rod), is a Falenan heirloom, and for that reason Arshetat trained in its use as well (based on a comment by Tanaka "King", the chief designer for Suikoden V).
Likely she trained the prince on the use of the weapon, but there's no official info.
VinceValentine

Post by VinceValentine »

Thats interesting. I didnt think the queen had that kind of a background but since its not confirmed officially that she did then its moot. Still, that would make complete sense, the country is run by mostly female so the queen probably was a knight at one point herself.
Redheim

Post by Redheim »

His mom? I really don't think that his mom would teach him. She doesn't do anything, besides be insane.
Keep your Coins, I want Change.
VinceValentine

Post by VinceValentine »

While that is true, each character has their specific background that are 9 times out of 10 not told in the game itself. Think about it, its mostly a female runned country and there are female knights that have trained. Ferid was also the Knight's commander so maybe he and Arshetat trained together while they were still young. Besides she wasn't insane from the get-go, the Sun Rune made her insane after she decided to use it on Lordlake and then she slowly started getting more and more insane as time went by.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Yes, and she only had the Sun Rune for two years, and the Sun Rune didn't make her insane all the time either. She was pretty sane most of the time.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

the intro actually shows her watching Prince and Lyon spar, so it is very possible she did train him. it's not like they would do it to "entertain" her, she's not that type of person... that's what separated her from the older generations.
sunstar25

Post by sunstar25 »

I guess I'll have to conclude that it was Ferid that trained Frey.

Arshtat doesn't seem to be too much of a fighter since her only real weapon is the Sun Rune. Afterall, she just sat on her throne while her knights were hacking away at the intruders. I do give her credit for being calm. Sialeeds isn't much of a fighter either, she only throws two chakram and has a Wind rune. It's unknown if Lym was ever taught to defend herself.
Tsharr

Post by Tsharr »

"Only" throws two chakrams? That's a cut above most people, I would wager.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

sunstar25 wrote:I guess I'll have to conclude that it was Ferid that trained Frey.

Arshtat doesn't seem to be too much of a fighter since her only real weapon is the Sun Rune. Afterall, she just sat on her throne while her knights were hacking away at the intruders. I do give her credit for being calm. Sialeeds isn't much of a fighter either, she only throws two chakram and has a Wind rune. It's unknown if Lym was ever taught to defend herself.
That's a really unreasonable assumption, because royalty is not expected to jump up and start fighting with weapons. Plus, when we enter Suikoden V, Arshtat has already been strongly affected by the Sun Rune.. if anything, she and Ferid are already extremely cautious about their actions. She knew she had to stay calm during the invasion because getting emotional destroyed a town already.

Vextor pointed out that "King" says Arshtat herself was trained with the weapon.. so how does this information help you conclude that Ferid trained the Prince? He may be an experienced fighter, but how would he know how to use the unique weapon if he didn't grow up with it like Arshtat did? How would he be expected to train the Prince since childhood even if he got a few years to play with it? Arshtat or someone in the royal family would have had to train Ferid, and Ferid would train the Prince?
Overdose52

Post by Overdose52 »

KFCrispy wrote:
sunstar25 wrote:
Vextor pointed out that "King" says Arshtat herself was trained with the weapon.. so how does this information help you conclude that Ferid trained the Prince? He may be an experienced fighter, but how would he know how to use the unique weapon if he didn't grow up with it like Arshtat did? How would he be expected to train the Prince since childhood even if he got a few years to play with it? Arshtat or someone in the royal family would have had to train Ferid, and Ferid would train the Prince?

I have to agree it would be rather far out unless Ferid was infact a fan of such a weapon aside from a sword. It is likely a master of some description trained Frey, its not strange to have a sucessful master from outside the family to train the prince.

Since we are all speculating about this with no proof or fact there are a number of scenarios and explanations as to how the primce learnt such a weapon.

- Genkaku or a Disciple of Genkaku - The possibility that Genkaku trained people on his travels after him being outcast by Jowston. There is also a possibility the prince was trained by a discple or student of Genkaku?

- A Queens Knight - A knight could have trained him, perhaps one of the ones who needed to retire from service after the battle with Armes.

- The Prince Trained Himself - The prince is very capable, certainly taking after his father. Within his life he may have taught himself, developed his own techniques. With a father like Ferid he would have a good figure to critique him also.

- Ferid Trained him- Despite his obvious preference to swords, he could have maybe used the weapon in the past as a youth, maybe the princes weapon was his?

These are just a few speculations though and that is all they are really.