Fu Su Lu

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
WaterMoon

Fu Su Lu

Post by WaterMoon »

Ok, so I'm working on updating the profiles we've got on the site as my current project, and when flipping through the characters in SI, I came across Fu Su Lu's, and it's really really short. In fact, all it says is "He wears a tiger's mask and wields two axes. He is a very powerful fighter, and he eats a lot as well!" My question is this: are we sure he's wearing a mask? I was always under the impression that he's a kobold of some sort, possibly a Nay-Kobold, though this may be wrong, as I just noticed his attack with Kuromimi and Gon is called Kobold +1 Attack, not Kobold Attack. Anyone able to help shed some light on this?
"C'mon, Jeane! The ugly stick had its way with you! Admiiiiiiiiiit it!"
---------------------------------------------------------------
"What do you think,Your Highness? Does kidnapping your little sister sound like fun?"
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

His character artwork seems to suggest he's either wearing a Tiger's pelt+head over him or his top portion, mostly due to him having a human torso and lower body.

If we look at any other possibilities:

Nekobold - Fu Su Lu seems too massive to fit in the frame of the Nekobolds we've seen.
Were-man - Possible, yet his body isn't entirely covered with fur nor does he have any frenzy-style attacks. He's strong, yes, but doesn't go into frenzies when fighting.
Beast Rune (Suikoden V) bearer - Possible... But I haven't seen it in use much so I don't know what characteristics the Beast Rune bearer has.
Formerly known as: Gothann
Falenan_descent

Post by Falenan_descent »

You know, Ernst and FuSuLu are the same star. It never says that Ernst was saved from his rune. Is it possible they're one and th same? Since S5 predates S1. Its totally possible for him to get to the Toran Republic in that time.
WaterMoon

Post by WaterMoon »

I doubt that's the case, as Ernst had to actively use the rune to leave his leopard form, whereas Fu Su Lu obviously has no problems maintaining his form, be it human with a mask, or a hybrid. We really know nothing about him, beyond the fact that he's a great warrior (he does hold the same Star as Li Kui, "The Black Whirlwind", one of the most renowned fighters from the original story Shuihuzhuan/The Water Margin/Outlaws of the Marsh) and that he has a huge appetite (not even Rikimaru's tab was 10,000 potch!) It's a bit of a pity in retrospect, but most of the characters in SI didn't get anywhere near the character development that the ones in the other games did, and without a detective, we really don't know anything about them.
"What do you think,Your Highness? Does kidnapping your little sister sound like fun?"
Wicked_Rune_Bearer

Post by Wicked_Rune_Bearer »

back again, it's been awhile, been busy but that's then. anyways, from the small images of fu su lu it appears that it is or might mostly be a decortaive mask to me. he does wield 2 battle axes (used widely amongest those who hunt wild animals, like leopards) and it just seems to fit him perfectly as if it had been skinned, cleaned, and worn as a good luck battle mask or maybe it's his most famous kill or battle and he wears it as pride. it's no telling really onto konami confirms his identity but the attack with the kobolds are odd. maybe he has been a hunter for so long that he has actually picked up the tactics that different animals use to survive and adapt and that is where that attack may come in but again, all spectulation, spectulation that will probably end up in theories before too long.
A rpg-suikoden site that lets you choose your character and basically play suikoden on your computer as if it was on your ps console
http://z14.invisionfree.com/Suikoden_Legends
WaterMoon

Post by WaterMoon »

Well, the twin battle axes isn't all that unusual, and may not be indicative of anything. He was based off of Li Kui, who also wielded twin axes. A lot of the characters in S1 corelate much closer to their Water Margin counterparts than characters of the same star in the subsequent games.
dboypompey

Re: Fu Su Lu

Post by dboypompey »

Some relation to a kobold? Dunno about that. He seems human (his arms look human) and it looks like he's wearing a mask. Anyway he's gotta be one of the most powerful characters in the series as well as having a serious amount of hp once leveled high.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

My best guess is that he comes from the same area as Hallec... both wear animal-skins and wield axes.

Or he`s a descendant of Gau from Suikoden 4.
dkwrtw

Post by dkwrtw »

Antimatzist wrote:My best guess is that he comes from the same area as Hallec... both wear animal-skins and wield axes.

Or he`s a descendant of Gau from Suikoden 4.
they are both based off of The Black Whirlwind from the Novel Suikoden is based off of, he wields double axes as well, I don't think there is any other connection between them other than they're based off the same character.
King Krimson

Post by King Krimson »

It would seem like most double axe characters seem to wear an animal mask thingy. excluding Gau as he uses his fists.

We have Fu Su Lu who wears a tigers pelt.
and lets not forget Hallec who wears a polar bear? pelt.

and it would most assuredly make sense for Fu Su Lu to be that "+1" in the Kobold attack +1 ^_^
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/1542/banner2bq6.gif

Luc - "then your definition of freedom is the ability to walk around a giant cell with an invisible leash around your neck"
kte03

Post by kte03 »

Yeah uh, Fu Su Lu is indeed just wearing a tiger mask. I'm quite fuzzy on where I read this but I'm positive that he does. And uhh... I'd have to agree with King that he has a link to being of the same "tribe" as Hallec.
Aerex

Post by Aerex »

Yep. You can tell from his artwork that he's not a kobold or anything like that. He just has the hide on as a mask and the rest of it drapes from his back like a cloak. If it was skin-tight to the point where you couldnt tell where normal skin ended and fur began then that might make me think he was something other than Human. But the picture just looks like a crazy big dude who killed a tiger and is wearing it.
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

I wonder, was Fu Su Lu in the Kobold village when it fell under Kwanda's sickness? And if so, was he effected? Was Fu Su Lu one of the random encounters out in the feilds?
Aerex

Post by Aerex »

Never really thought about it. If he was messed up by it I wonder if it had any effect on Rubi. Or maybe both of them entered the village after everyone was cured?
TrueWater00

Post by TrueWater00 »

I def do not think that fu su lu is half man, half tiger. it is a head dress, like hallec and gau, i think it is interesting how they all wear their head dresses different though, hallec sits on the top of his head, gaus head is coming through the mouth of his, and fu su lus is completely covered by it. I think it would be awesome if they all came from the same village though, and what about fu su lu's double axes and hallecs double axes, as well as the name of hallecs axes, brother, my brother, my dear brother....fu su lu perhaps?? hmmmmm.
Heh,I'll make sure you can never make that grin again.I'll chop you up!Ground you up!Dry you in the sun!Break you to pieces!Bury you in the ground!Piss on you!Then i'll dig you up!Pull you!Stretch you!Drag you around!I'll Never Forgive You-Viktor