Sanchez?

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
notoalpena

Sanchez?

Post by notoalpena »

Hey,just recently started part 1 and I am at Shasarazade well not exactly (just invaded Moravia) but when you take over the Northern Checkpoint Griffith says the spy must have failed or something along the lines,then he gets recruited, you would think he would tell the Liberation Army who the spy was, or at least Kasim would.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

there's a good chance the identity of the spy isn't known by them. he probably used cryptic msgs/signals so it's hard to figure out someone's even communicating with the Scarlet Moon Empire. in real life only a select few individuals in the FBI or whatever know who's actually on their side.
Scotts

Re: Sanchez?

Post by Scotts »

Observant people can notice something is odd with Sanchez as soon as you get the Tablet of Promise; this is because his name isnt on it. (People who have finished the game already and yell "SANCHEZ IS A SPY!!" dont count, as they didnt notice he wasnt on the Tablet, unless they did ehehehe)
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

he is not a SoD, but there are many NPCs who are non-SoD who are still your allies. this applies to all the games..
matakaw

Post by matakaw »

is Sanchez is the "Assassin" who was fought to Tir in the Toran Castle?
For Today's Achievements:
Bachelor's Degree in Suikoden 1
Master's Degree in Suikoden 1
Bachelor's Degree in Suikoden 2
Master's Degree in Suikoden 2

My adventure:
Doctor's Degree in Suikoden 1
Doctor's Degree in Suikoden 2
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

that doesn't make any sense.. Sanchez was at their dinner celebration. then you walk out of the area with McDohl and get attacked. Being a spy, Sanchez would not make any attack unless he thinks it is critical and can make such an impact it would cause the Liberation Army to fall. that's why he attacks at Shasarazade... he had a chance to get McDohl killed in the fire and took down Mathiu at the same time.
Pesmerga VS. Yuber

Post by Pesmerga VS. Yuber »

I already said that I finished playing the game... When I saw that Sanchez was a spy, I couldn't believe it. I mean he was at the beginning of the game alongside with Victor and Odessa and Flik. It was a real surprise. Suikoden really has twists and turns....
Power?
Am I looking for Power?
Ever since...The first day I saw you...
I somehow knew...That we would be friends.
I was never lonely...Because you were there.
We chose...Life and death together.
I believed in you...Always...
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

I kinda knew he was the spy.
dirty rat!! :<

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
akuma x

Post by akuma x »

hated him from the beginning :twisted:
"To challenge me is to respect chaos, and to respect death!" - Akuma
creid

Post by creid »

Pesmerga VS. Yuber wrote:I already said that I finished playing the game... When I saw that Sanchez was a spy, I couldn't believe it. I mean he was at the beginning of the game alongside with Victor and Odessa and Flik. It was a real surprise. Suikoden really has twists and turns....
I only recently played the game since I wasn't able to get my hands on it when it first came out (borrowed a friend of mine's copy) so I ended up playing it after completing II to IV. The games of the series I did play, however, didn't really have too many twists that I wasn't able to catch on to or even be shocked by. After playing this first game though, I have to admit, I was completely fooled.

Sanchez was pretty unassuming, to me anyway. Probably what made him such a good spy, heh. He was just one of the original members of the Liberation Army, like Humphrey, Flik, etc., who would show up during any of the strategic meetings occasionally and control your party's organization so there was really no reason for me to suspect. When talks of spies came around between Kasumi and Krin I immediately had doubts about Krin, especially under the circumstances of how you meet/recruit him, what his role was as a 'class' in Major Battles and Mathiu mentioning there being a spy amongst the Liberation Army as a sidebar. Even after Kasumi and Krin mention that the person in question was a messenger, I was still skeptical about Krin. After liberating the Northern Checkpoint and Mathiu insisting I take Krin with me, it pretty much solidified my suspicions because why else would I have to bring him along? To reveal that he was the spy, of course! But...nothing came of it. Some time passes, I forget all about it and then all of a sudden the spy reveals himself by the time you successfully invade Shasarazade thus resulting in me feeling like a fool...

To be honest, the only other game I recall ever being misled as badly as that was KotOR. So to quote M. Night Shyamalan, "WHAT A TWIST!"
Darknat

Post by Darknat »

creid wrote:
Pesmerga VS. Yuber wrote:I already said that I finished playing the game... When I saw that Sanchez was a spy, I couldn't believe it. I mean he was at the beginning of the game alongside with Victor and Odessa and Flik. It was a real surprise. Suikoden really has twists and turns....
I only recently played the game since I wasn't able to get my hands on it when it first came out (borrowed a friend of mine's copy) so I ended up playing it after completing II to IV. The games of the series I did play, however, didn't really have too many twists that I wasn't able to catch on to or even be shocked by. After playing this first game though, I have to admit, I was completely fooled.

Sanchez was pretty unassuming, to me anyway. Probably what made him such a good spy, heh. He was just one of the original members of the Liberation Army, like Humphrey, Flik, etc., who would show up during any of the strategic meetings occasionally and control your party's organization so there was really no reason for me to suspect. When talks of spies came around between Kasumi and Krin I immediately had doubts about Krin, especially under the circumstances of how you meet/recruit him, what his role was as a 'class' in Major Battles and Mathiu mentioning there being a spy amongst the Liberation Army as a sidebar. Even after Kasumi and Krin mention that the person in question was a messenger, I was still skeptical about Krin. After liberating the Northern Checkpoint and Mathiu insisting I take Krin with me, it pretty much solidified my suspicions because why else would I have to bring him along? To reveal that he was the spy, of course! But...nothing came of it. Some time passes, I forget all about it and then all of a sudden the spy reveals himself by the time you successfully invade Shasarazade thus resulting in me feeling like a fool...

To be honest, the only other game I recall ever being misled as badly as that was KotOR. So to quote M. Night Shyamalan, "WHAT A TWIST!"

I agree with that. I never suspected Sanchez.... That was really a great twist. It¡s probably because gameplay wise, Sanchez is one of the closest characters to the hero all the time. So when they said he was a traitor....
Thing is, his treason didn't change much... He was there the next day as if nothing happened... I didn't like that, I would have prefered some change, maybe another character changing the party or something.

Anyway the game that really made me look like a fool for not suspecting treason was Terranigma :), you should try that one sometime
Suikidal

Post by Suikidal »

KFCrispy wrote:that doesn't make any sense.. Sanchez was at their dinner celebration. then you walk out of the area with McDohl and get attacked. Being a spy, Sanchez would not make any attack unless he thinks it is critical and can make such an impact it would cause the Liberation Army to fall. that's why he attacks at Shasarazade... he had a chance to get McDohl killed in the fire and took down Mathiu at the same time.

I don't think Sanchez was at the celebration was he? That happens when you recruit Lepant. He doesn't appear until after you're about to take the Garan Fortress along with Flik and Humphrey.

Still, the idea of an old man like Sanchez dressing up like a ninja then trying to assassinate the Hero is kinda funny.

I agree about the time he strikes Mathiu down though, what annoyed me more was that i wanted to take Humphrey into Shasarazade with me. He and Flik go to pursue the survivors of the battle, and become unusable.
darkphoenix

Post by darkphoenix »

That's true, Sanchez, Flik and Humphrey join after you take the Garan Forteress, before entering Milich's territory. The dinner and the ninja attack happen after you recruit Lepant and co, before waging war to Pannu Yakuta. So technically it could have been Sanchez as a ninja. But honestly, who'd buy that????
Suikidal

Post by Suikidal »

darkphoenix wrote:That's true, Sanchez, Flik and Humphrey join after you take the Garan Forteress, before entering Milich's territory. The dinner and the ninja attack happen after you recruit Lepant and co, before waging war to Pannu Yakuta. So technically it could have been Sanchez as a ninja. But honestly, who'd buy that????

Yeah the banquet happens after you recruit Lepant, Varkas and Sydonia. Then the assassin strikes, and then you meet Kirkis and then do the whole elves and dwarves bit and attack Pannu Yakuta. 3 months after the battle is when Flik, Humphrey and Sanchez appear at the HQ. After the whole Flik thing, you all agree to attack Garan.

Sanchez as the assassin though... Nah i'm not buying it lol
Silverberg

Post by Silverberg »

I wonder if Sanchez was executed after the war.

I believe the only ones who were present when it was revealed that he was a spy were Tir, Mathiu, Flik, Viktor, and Lukian. They decided to keep it a secret and then administer punishment after the war was over.

However, Flik and Viktor disappeared after the fall of Gregminster. Tir, who didn't want anything to do with running the country left with Gremio. Mathiu died. And Lukian just doesn't seem the type to have someone executed.

So in all that confusion, Sanchez could have slipped away unpunished I suppose. I mean, as everyone was at the battle of Gregminster, Sanchez should have seized that opportunity to get the hell out of Dodge anyway.

I suppose you could suggest that Mathiu had guards placed outside Sanchez's room shortly before the invasion of Gregminster Palace, but there's no one outside his room and we're still able to switch party members through him.

You could also argue that because he came to like the Liberation Army folks, he decided to stick around, confess to his crimes, and then offered his head. But I like to think that someone who betrays his friends all the way up to the end even though he "liked" them, is not going to suddenly be so noble as to offer his head if there was a chance to get away.

That dirty, dirty Sanchez
"Black Rune, pink balloon! This guy killed Gremio!!!"