Roles of the 108 Stars

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Re: Roles of the 108 Stars

Post by Sasarai10 »

It's an old thread but,since it's not necessary opening a new one...so let's have one look to it again,and discuss about similarities within the stars of destiny!

Since i've played all the 5 games of the main series,i came to a conclution about the relationship between the characters who share the same SoD.

Tenkai Star: Actually it's not the main hero of the game (see Thomas),but it's the character who gathers all 108 stars together. In S3 Thomas,is the one who recruits the characters. When Hugo,Chris and Geddoe comes to his castle,before chapter 4,he tells them to find new recruits for him.

Tengou Star & Tenyu Star: Strong Leader of an Army Unit,who joins automaticly during the game. Tal from S4 is the exception.

Tenki Star: The main strategist of the game.

Tenkan Star: The Tablet Guardian,and the 2nd best mage of the game (In S3 & S4,there are no Tablet Guardians)

Tenyuu: Veteran Warriors who are over 40 years old. Yuber is the exception.

Tenmou Star: I don't think Tenmou Stars were Strong Village Leaders like it was stated in the website. Actually the only one who could be considered as a Strong Village Leader is Boz from S5. I'd say that Tenmou Star has to do with characters who were former enemies of the game (in S1,S2 and S4 particularly,although you didn't fought against Axel in S4,but when you stepped your foot on Na-Nal to form an alliance,Axel sent Kooluk troops to beat you up)

Tenei Star: Sworn Protector. Gremio protects Tir,Sierra protects Nash (though i'm not sure about this,but i think in Suikogaiden Sierra was Nash's "missus"),Yuiri protects her village (Alma Kinan),Aldo protects Ted,and Lyon protects Frey

Tenkii Star: Actually they aren't only Town Mayors,but they are related with that "mayor" thing. For example Teresa and Talgeyl are acting mayors of Greenhill and Lordlake respectively,Teresa and Reinbach are children of mayors,etc.

Tenman Star & Tentai Star: Except S2 and S5,these 2 stars has to do with friends of the Tenkai Star,who were close to him from the begining of the game,before the Tenkai star becomes a leader (OK,Thomas wasn't the leader of S3,but still Juan and Cecile were Thomas' friends before the FCS's Army,relocated in Budehuc)

We'll study later the other SoD...if you have any other suggestions about their relationship,please write them :)
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Sasarai10 wrote:Tenkai Star: Actually it's not the main hero of the game (see Thomas),but it's the character who gathers all 108 stars together.
Really? Well I'll be damned, I always thought Tir, Riou, Lazlo and Frey was the big cheese, but hey. I guess they were only the middlemen.
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

Hirathien wrote:
Sasarai10 wrote:Tenkai Star: Actually it's not the main hero of the game (see Thomas),but it's the character who gathers all 108 stars together.
Really? Well I'll be damned, I always thought Tir, Riou, Lazlo and Frey was the big cheese, but hey. I guess they were only the middlemen.
Yes, Tir, Riou, Lazlo, and Frey were all the big cheese. It's just that the role of the Tenkai star isn't necessarily to be the "big cheese", it's to gather the stars together, which they all did.
PSN: FreshMetal80
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Yes, but he said they weren't the main hero of the game. Then I really would like to know, who were the main hero in every game except the Tenkai?

Gremio because the way he always protected Tir?
Jowy the way he betrayed Riou to show him exactly how motivated he needs to be to win?
Ted for.... Who knows what reason!
Lyon because if you don't want to win, she'll just die! Just random like that.
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

My interpretation is that he wasn't saying Tir, Riou, Lazlo and Frey weren't the main heroes, but the role of the Tenkai is not that of the main hero. The Tenkai is meant to gather the 108 stars. It just so happens that 4 out of the 5 times the role of star gatherer and main hero were one and the same. In the case of S3, Thomas was the gatherer of the stars (Tenkai) by the hero role was split between Geddoe, Chris, and Hugo.
PSN: FreshMetal80
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Hirathien wrote:Yes, but he said they weren't the main hero of the game. Then I really would like to know, who were the main hero in every game except the Tenkai?

Jowy the way he betrayed Riou to show him exactly how motivated he needs to be to win?
Perhaps it's that you're just being somewhat pedantic? ^_^
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

freshmetal wrote:My interpretation is that he wasn't saying Tir, Riou, Lazlo and Frey weren't the main heroes, but the role of the Tenkai is not that of the main hero. The Tenkai is meant to gather the 108 stars. It just so happens that 4 out of the 5 times the role of star gatherer and main hero were one and the same. In the case of S3, Thomas was the gatherer of the stars (Tenkai) by the hero role was split between Geddoe, Chris, and Hugo.

That's what i was saying exactly.

Tenkai's role is to gather all 108 stars together,and not being the main hero.This doesn't mean of course that Tir,Riou,Lazlo and Frey weren't the main heroes of the game.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Lemmy Claypool wrote:
Hirathien wrote:Yes, but he said they weren't the main hero of the game. Then I really would like to know, who were the main hero in every game except the Tenkai?

Perhaps it's that you're just being somewhat pedantic? ^_^
Well, yeah, there's that. I usually prefer to keep things to what they are instead of advancing further into unkown and majorly farfetched ground.

I wasn't trying to sound like an ass or something, even though I'm sure I sound like one more often than not.

And, well, he did say they weren't the main heroes of the game, but I guess that's moot now that he explained what he meant.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Update:

Tenritsu Star: Probably this star has to do with "right-hand men".Everyone except Bazba,was the right-hand man to some person.

Tenan Star: Pretty lad,swordsman who is not part of the pretty boy duo,but sometimes he can participate in "Pretty Boy Attack",particularly Flik in both first 2 suikodens.

Tenjyu Star: This star has to do with characters who are related with Tenkai's father,or adoptive father,exept Geddoe. (Although according to some sources Lazlo's father was Lino,but Glen was taking care of him during his days in Razril,and Glen was Katarina's dad)

Tenkou Star: Tengou's closest sod,except Toma.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

I found the answer about Tenfu Stars...

Tenfu Star = The "behind the scenes" Star. These characters will do a minor thing during the game,but they will change the tide of the war,because of that little move.

Kun To: He helped the Liberation Army,by lending his boats in order to deliver the fire spears. The only way to deliver them,was only by boat,and these fire spears were responsible to defeat General Teo's army,and after that he was died in a battle by his son. Kun To's help was very important in order to defeat General Teo.

Nina: Nina managed to convince the citizens of Greenhill to let Teresa escape from there,and Teresa joined the Dunan Unification Army....after the war Teresa became the leader of Dunan. Who knows what would happen to Teresa if Nina didn't manage to convince the citizens of Greenhill and let Teresa stay in there?

Jimba: In chapter 4,we saw Jimba entering the Sindar Ruins,in order to search for the True Water Rune,and there it was the place were the Flame Champion Succesor revealed who are the true enemies of this war.

Chiepoo: He,Lazlo and 2 of the Gaien Knights,were isolated in a desert island. Chiepoo along with the other 3 tried to make a boat in order to escape from this island. But since the fact who were the 2 knights following Lazlo after he was banished from Gaien,hasn't been clarified yet,Chiepoo was the only "certain" character,so Chiepoo was a great help to Lazlo to build the boat in order to escape from Deserted Island and later become a leader.

Euram: After defeating Jidan,with Dilber's help,Euram came to Barows' mansion and he witnessed about the rune by mistake. This mistake by that Tenfu Star changed again the tide of war,by revealing Lord Barows' true colors,and discovering the Dawn Rune. After that the Dawn Rune chose its new bearer.

PS: I chose Euram instead of Eresh,since the 2nd doesn't participate in the main plot.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

* I didn't know about this topic until Sasarai pointed it out to me, so the admins can delete my attempt at starting the same subject.

Tengou
Star of Conflagration
Lepant | Boris/Ridley | Sasarai | Lino | Raja |

This character tends to be a respected leader, with access to major resources and military forces. They often have a strong sense of justice and care deeply for the people who follow them.

Lepant was a highly respected merchant of Kouan. Ridley was a hero to the Kobolds. Sasarai was a Harmonian Bishop. Lino and Raja were both leaders who provided us with big boats!

Lepant and Boris could be quite stubborn, and needed a bit of persuasion when it came to receiving their support. But once we had them on our side, they became valuable friends.

I think it's quite interesting that both Lepant and Lino become major leaders after the hero wins the war. Lepant became president of the Toran Republic, and Lino became chairman of the Island Nations Federation. Both men rose to power with thanks to the victories of the young heroes they were supporting. The responsibilites of taking up office and leading the countries into the future falls to the more seasoned men, whereas the two young heroes had other things to do, like exploring the world, and contemplating over their true runes and stuff.

Some of these guys also have strong family members among the stars of destiny. Lepant's wife and son fought with us against Scarlet Moon. Ridley is succeeded by his son Boris if you lose him during the war. Lino's daughter fights with us, and of course his son was very important during the Island liberation war.

Tenkou
Clever Star
Eileen | Chaco | Dios | Flare | Toma |

There's a bit of a mix going on here.

At first, it seemed to me like Eileen and Flare would have a lot in common, since they're both these elegant lady-like figures. Along with Dios, they have important relationships to the Tengou star (Lepant, Sasarai and Lino) Eileen becomes first lady of the Toran Republic, while Flare is princess of Obel (and essentially the Island Nations, since her dad becomes chairman of the Federation)

It's also easy to put Chaco and Toma together, because they're both these cocky little kids who get to stand up for their homeland.

However, it seems that Flare has a bit more in common with Toma. Toma is sort of a prince to the people of Lordlake, (his grandad is their chief) and even though Flare clearly has a lot of love and respect for her dad, she doesn't stay by his side as much as Eileen and Dios did with their Tengou stars. Flare chooses to stay with the people who are unable to flee Obel, while her dad leaves the island to help gather the resistance. And when Lino allows Kyrill to head into Kooluk territory to investigate the reappearance of Rune Cannons, this time Flare leaves Obel so she can help with the investigation and learn more about the nation she was fighting. Toma is also very dedicated to his people, and like Flare, he plans to make the most of his youth. He receives training from Galleon before heading off to the Sun Palace to receive further training. Both Flare and Toma get to see more of the world and build their character and gain independence from not being around their family all the time, which will no doubt help them with their future prospects.

Eileen and Dios weren't quite as adventurous, but they were both fiercely loyal to their Tengou Star, and would follow them even if it meant going against their wishes. Sasarai would have Dios save himself, while Dios would gladly risk his life to save the bishop. Lepant tried to break up with Eileen so she wouldn't become endangered by the war, but she stands by her man, even at the risk of being involved with rebels.

I haven't said much about Chaco. I can't remember if he was actually a blood relative of Susu the Great Winger of the horde (which would give him some political significance along with the other Tenkous), or if he just called her grandmother as a nickname, but he seems to have remained a mischievous little brat after the war, instead of actually working to help make a better future for the wingers (which falls to Ridley/Boris who have to whip the winger soldiers into shape, as they all seem to lack the kobolds' sense of discipline)
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Tenjyu
Star of Longevity

Sonya | Nanami | Geddoe | Katarina | Bernadette |

The Longevity star certainly suits Geddoe, since he's been around for such a long time! Sorry, i don't have much else to say about him, because I haven't played 3 as much as the other games.

As for the ladies, they all seem to have been through their share of hardship.

I think Sonya and Katarina relate most strongly with each other. They've both lost somebody they care deeply about (General Teo, Commander Glen) and they've both fallen from grace, but have come out the other end.

Sonya blames Tir for killing Teo.
Katarina blames Lazlo for the loss of Glen (her reaction isn't quite as venomous as Sonya, and she volunteers to join, unlike Sonya who wants to watch Tir die!)
I think both women were quite prepared to die, before they put their pride aside and joined our battles for the greater good.

After winning the war, they do regain their honour. Sonya resumes her career as admiral, this time for the Toran Republic's navy, and Katarina succeeds Glen as Commander of the Knights of Razril (who no longer serve Gaien)

Bernadette is another lady who has a promising career as a naval leader.
Like Katarina, she served under her own father. However, Glen never actually knew Kat was his daughter, so she was working to gain his approval as a soldier, not a daughter. Glen did make a jest about her nursing him during his illness with the rune of punishment, but thats about the only lighthearted moment we saw between them. Bern and Skald, on the other hand, were very aware of their family relationship, and she constantly suffered his mind games. But Skald was treating Bern like this for her own good so she could grow into her own woman instead of living in his shadow. I think it's a soldierly sort of daddy-daughter relationship. Sadly, Katarina never got to experience that kind of love from Glen.

Then there's Nanami. Very different career from those other women. She grew up in Highland, so as a girl she probably didn't have a chance of serving the army like her surrogate brother and best friend did when they joined the unicorn brigade. She doesn't live by any kind of military code, so she's not bothered about falling from grace or reclaiming her honour like Sonya and Katarina did. She places the lives and friendship of the two people she cares most about above the war they are fighting, so she's certainly not concerned about warfare the way the other Tenjyus are. Assuming you get the happy ending, she does end up living the peaceful carefree life that she hoped for, but she had to step aside and let the boys finish their war without her support or interference.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

I think i found the role of the Teni star. Keep in mind that Lucia was supposed to be in S2 instead of Pesmerga,so there you have it.

Teni Stars,are people who strongly dislike someone from our army,beside the fact they are fighting in the same side.

Nakula disliked Sagiri,Selma disliked Paula,and if Lucia was in S2 she would dislike Teresa i guess. Pesmerga is the exception,but if Yuber,was part of your army,then there you have it.

It's the most possible explanation for this star...i'm not quite sure though
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Selma didn't dislike Paula, it was the elder who slagged off Paula and her mother, Selma always seemed reluctant to bash humans, and was quite happy to meet a fellow elf who had been living peacefully alongside humans.

Pesmerga and Nakula do seem to be driven by their hatred of someone. Lucia holds a lot of hatred for people who f#ck with her tribe and homeland. I guess Selma's personal war is with the racism between elves and humans, not towards any certain individual.