What a sissy

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
futanchen

Post by futanchen »

yeah, this is the thing that i hate so much in suikoden game. almost all the hero characters are sissy looking teenager.
Tir mcdohl in suiko 1, he's allright but that gay relationship with his servant gremio is really annoying.
riou in suiko 2, well he seem ignore that hot gypsy girl Ellie, that is just not normal.
lazlo, in suiko 4, he's ok, he wear black outfit that looks masculin, except that short pants. that's just wrong for me.
and finally hero in suiko 5. with that corset like outfit! i wouldn't be surprise if he also wear bra inside that outfit.
3 main charcters in suiko 3 that are looks right for me. my fav are Geddoe and Chris lightfellow. Hugo is cool too, there's nothing "gay" in him.
well, all this just my opinion though, peace. :wink:
Falenan_descent

Post by Falenan_descent »

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:03 am Post subject:
yeah, this is the thing that i hate so much in suikoden game. almost all the hero characters are sissy looking teenager.
Tir mcdohl in suiko 1, he's allright but that gay relationship with his servant gremio is really annoying.
riou in suiko 2, well he seem ignore that hot gypsy girl Ellie, that is just not normal.
lazlo, in suiko 4, he's ok, he wear black outfit that looks masculin, except that short pants. that's just wrong for me.
and finally hero in suiko 5. with that corset like outfit! i wouldn't be surprise if he also wear bra inside that outfit.
3 main charcters in suiko 3 that are looks right for me. my fav are Geddoe and Chris lightfellow. Hugo is cool too, there's nothing "gay" in him.
well, all this just my opinion though, peace.
Lol. You've gotta be the most confused person I've ever met. Half of your arguments are wrong! Lol

Tir McDohl is -not- gay with Gremio. Gremio is just an overprotective servant who seems feminine. But, Gremio has actually done quite a bit to prove himself worthy and a not a "Sissy"

As for Riou, he CAN show interest in Eilie, you just gotta make him say things that seem that way. Same with Rina.

Lazlo is Lazlo.

Okay, I give up. Lol! Your whole post is just some anti-gay thing about the main characters. LOL
Ushiku

Post by Ushiku »

futanchen wrote:yeah, this is the thing that i hate so much in suikoden game. almost all the hero characters are sissy looking teenager.
well, all this just my opinion though, peace. :wink:
Obviously you're a stereotypical homophobe who is oblivious to Japan's pretty boy culture which is emphasized in some games.

Gremio is more of a confidant and a second parent figure to Tir, since Teo was a general and usually fighting, and his mother died when he was only young. There is no evidence or even hinting of a homosexual relationship between them. Especially since Suikoden 2 and Suikogaidens both hint towards a romantic relationship between Tir and Kasumi.

Secondly, Riou did not ignore Ellie's advances, instead he was just simply concentrated on the war effort, and it is up to the person playing the game whether to compliment Ellie or make insinuations of a mutual attraction. I always felt that Ellie and Riou both liked each other, but were either too shy or had a lack of interaction with the opposite sex (Nanami and Bolgan aren't exactly the stereotypical good examples of their sex and also wouldn't be viewed in such a way due to their sibling relationships). I hope that in the future there will be ellaboration or hints dropped to Ellie and Riou, like they have with Tir and Kasumi.

Thirdly, whilst Lazlo doesn't really have anybody openly attracted to him, had enough of a burden with a life-consuming True Rune and an army to lead to have time for a girlfriend, of all the heroes, he's the one who had the hugest weight on his shoulders in my opinion.

Hero 5 lived in a Queendom, thus is more likely to be feminine than other male heroes in the game, but that doesn't make him gay. I've heard several accounts of his romantic relationship with Lyon, which I will examine for myself once the PAL version is released.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
Philweasel

Post by Philweasel »

I always felt Riou lacked a great deal of interest in romance at that point in his life. He was quite young after all. If Ellie pressed then it might have happened but she was always way too shy to do anything but drop hints that he wasn't willing to act upon.

Geddoe and Queen for teh win.

I think that Hero5, like Riou wasn’t really ready for any kind of romantic relationship. Despite that it was obvious that his relationship with Leon wasn’t really brother and sister anymore, and that they were beginning to notice.
Which is really cute :)

All the others are screaming homosexuals. Or I can't think of anything to say about them.

Though I suspect Lazlo likes the guys. No evidence, but with all the homoeroticism going around one of them has to be, and I kinda like the idea of Snowe as Lazlo's bitch :D
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Since the character is "you" and you are given your choice of response to every sexual/romantic situation, you can make him either asexual or homosexual when presented with female sexual situations.

For example, the purifying ritual you are given a few lines by Kyle and during the scene about peeking, but you can select no every time. The reaon for your choice could be that you a) want to play him as a gay character b) want to focus on more serious things or c) he's asexual at this point.

There's a reason that it's a silent protagonist, becuase you give him the personality, otherwise they'd just assign him one.
Koujirou

Post by Koujirou »

Oppenheimer wrote:For example, the purifying ritual you are given a few lines by Kyle and during the scene about peeking, but you can select no every time. The reaon for your choice could be that you a) want to play him as a gay character b) want to focus on more serious things or c) he's asexual at this point.
Or d) the character isn't into incest or pedophilia, considering only ONE character participating in the purification rite isn't related to the hero, and his sister has to be about 10. Yeah, I dunno about anyone else here, but that's definitely not my thing.

I'm not a huge fan of the pretty guy thing myself, but that's mostly just because it's overdone by now. But hey, it's not a huge deal. And at least the Suikoden games have an excuse, since all the main characters are teenagers, and thus haven't gotten to the point in their lives where they develop their more masculine features. Hell, give the prince about 5 years and he'll probably look more like Ferid.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Koujirou wrote:
Oppenheimer wrote:For example, the purifying ritual you are given a few lines by Kyle and during the scene about peeking, but you can select no every time. The reaon for your choice could be that you a) want to play him as a gay character b) want to focus on more serious things or c) he's asexual at this point.
Or d) the character isn't into incest or pedophilia, considering only ONE character participating in the purification rite isn't related to the hero, and his sister has to be about 10. Yeah, I dunno about anyone else here, but that's definitely not my thing.
There are other scenes besides the purification rite nonetheless. For instance, I don't see how Kyle asking you to join him to check out Jeane at the rune shop should fall under incest or pedophilia.
Koujirou

Post by Koujirou »

I was only talking about the purification rite scene, as it was the only one Oppenheimer mentioned as an example. But yeah, there are other scenes when you're given a choice to have the hero take interest in females or not.
xXSqualleoNXx

Post by xXSqualleoNXx »

And the prince's classic line:"I'm not interested in Men", when promted to go meet Belcoot. Either way, I think this Hero is quite likely the most obvious one in terms of a romantic replationship. He even appears, happily holding hands with Lyon, when he becomes the Queen's Knight commander and she becomes an official Queen's Knight. I always got the idea they had finally noticed their love for one another by that point.
Hmm...
malicesoul

Post by malicesoul »

Thirdly, whilst Lazlo doesn't really have anybody openly attracted to him, had enough of a burden with a life-consuming True Rune and an army to lead to have time for a girlfriend, of all the heroes, he's the one who had the hugest weight on his shoulders in my opinion.
Wait, there's that girl in the red. Mirei I think. I think she openly likes Lazlo. Always standing outside his room and is obessed about his safety. I think its fairly obvious
Ushiku

Post by Ushiku »

malicesoul wrote:
Wait, there's that girl in the red. Mirei I think. I think she openly likes Lazlo. Always standing outside his room and is obessed about his safety. I think its fairly obvious
She was more bothered about his protection due to the Rune of Punishment, I think the group of girls outside his room were just friends, there wasn't enough character development on them to prove anything more than a platonic relationship with Lazlo.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

There wasn't enough proof that they have no more than a platonic relationship with him either.
Philweasel

Post by Philweasel »

Millay.

Who comes back in Tactics as a total badass.

I think she's just the protective sort, and the others just sort of ended up there to keep her company.
Pretty Like A Girl

Post by Pretty Like A Girl »

well, all this just my opinion though, peace.

I kind of take issue with this, its typical of a lot of people's view on action-orientated protagonists in film as well as video games. why the hell CAN'T we have a gay protagonist, what is so wrong with that? fair enough if you are uncomfortable or feel slightly less empowered by the fact that you are controlling a young boy in tights, i can understand that but what is wrong with characters having a gay relationship with one another?
whether tir and gremio were in a relationship or had feelings for each other (which i truly doubt) is of no consequence, it does not hinder the story, in fact it could bring some much needed depth to tir's character.

honestly i really wish someone WOULD make a game with a gay main character (and if they have please notify me, i am not an avid games fan, just suikoden).
but i digress, yes fair enough that you might be uncomfortable with or feel disdain for the hero's sense of dress but taking issue with their sexuality if wrong, there is nothing wrong with being gay. james dean was gay, and that guy was cool.
i am like a wall of flesh....
xXSqualleoNXx

Post by xXSqualleoNXx »

If they wanted to make him gay, they would also ditch the Silent Hero gig. Not like the Silent Hero thing is way overdue for being kicked off. Don't you hate it when you have such an adorable relation betwen two characters, yet all conversations between them lose some of their appeal because the main character just makes simple laughing or confused expressions to the other person?

I like having an imagination, but, like movies or books, I like seeing well developed characters, whether I like them or hate them, as long as they are developed I am pleased. What's the point anyway? The game has predetermined directions and reactions regardless of what you thought of the situation or what you would say. So, it only ends up being a failed attempt at making you the hero.

I will stop now, I will most likely bee linked to a dreaded locked thread about this subject if I keep pushing it forward.

Either way. My point is still clear. the Main character is gay only if YOU want him to be gay. He can also be into incest and pedophilia too. Or just totally uncaring and asexual.
Hmm...