What a sissy

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Steelriver

What a sissy

Post by Steelriver »

I named my character (the prince) "Man in a dress" i also thought about "Dude looks like a lady" or just plain "Barbra". Why are so many heroes in Rpgs these days little sissy looking guys. I honestly thought he was a girl on the box until they called him prince. Besides him being smaller then most of the girls, did they really need to put a dress on em to and give em a braided ponytail?
Now i'm not saying they need to be huge muscled up super heroes but at least make them normal sized.
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters, and hear the lamentations of thier loved ones. These are the best things in life!
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

It's japanese anime style, guys always look a little bit of what western civilization would consider feminine. But, so did all the Tenkai's really. They're all thin teenagers.

And there's nothing wrong with being a thin teenager, you shouldn't judge people like that and call them a "sissy". Clearly he's a very skilled fighter and a pretty good magic user too. Sounds like you're a bit sexist.
Steelriver

Post by Steelriver »

There is nothing wrong with thin but he's closer to anorexic. He is also wearing a orange dress that hangs off of his shoulders and has a braided ponytail. Dont call me a sexist cause they dressed em up like a little girl.
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters, and hear the lamentations of thier loved ones. These are the best things in life!
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Yuber must be a "little girl" too, using that logic. I think the braided ponytail doesn't seal the deal, but combined with everything else, it only adds to the femininity.

Prince seems to be the first overly female-looking hero, and hopefully the last. I'd much rather have another Geddoe or Chris, but that's unlikely.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

Steelriver wrote:There is nothing wrong with thin but he's closer to anorexic. He is also wearing a orange dress that hangs off of his shoulders and has a braided ponytail. Dont call me a sexist cause they dressed em up like a little girl.
he looks fine to me, his body structure is masculine and he looks like a guy in every way possible, not to mention he is a bad ass fighter{non gameplay}

where do you get anorexic from? When someone is anorexic there cheeks are sunken in and you can see/feel there bones, the prince does NOT look like that.
Steelriver

Post by Steelriver »

K that's your opinion still looks like a girl to me. I don't really see where you get masculine from. And saying he looks like a guy in every way possible is a plain lie.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

There's nothing specifically feminine about what he's wearing, it's just flashy. Ponytails don't make people women. I like the way he looks, Lazlo was wearing all black and short shorts, it was awful. Everyone in Suikoden IV was in drab clothes except the Narcissits. The prince is interesting to look at and I like the change.

And there's nothing wrong with guys who dress flashy, wear revealing clothing or have feminine manerisms. I say it's sexist because you're saying there's a gender stereotype that guys must fit into or else they are to be precieved negatively. I strongly disagree with that. You can be whoever you want to, it's your body. Anyway I digress. . . .
Simeon

Post by Simeon »

Well overall the clothing has a lot to do with it. I mean his orange get up the causual stuff however his fighting clothes i think was simply horrible.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Ugly, I can live with. I just have an issue with people judging others based on sexual stereotypes. I have to admit when Lyon first saw the prince in his "battle gear" and said "Wow! You look great!" I was thinking "Um Lyon, he looked better in his orange sweater" . . .But I'm just glad they're not black short-shorts.
Steelriver

Post by Steelriver »

I'm not saying its cause hes skinny or he has on a dress or cause he has a braided pony tail its a combination of the three together. Also look at his portrait when he talk he looks like a women. He looks like a sissy but so did Vega on SF and he was pretty tough. Seems like every RPG out has the same damn charcter for a hero a skinny little kid. But they kida went overboard with this guy. Make a girl make a big dude make something else.
Simeon

Post by Simeon »

I agree with you Oppen about how the orange sweater thing looked way better than his battle gear. I think the gear contributed to his femanine look.
ShardStar

Post by ShardStar »

I've seen far worse then the Prince, just look at the game Magna Carta, I'm serious that DOES look like a woman. The Prince just looks slightly femine and I think that's because he takes after his mother more, ie silver hair. Which is fine cause I take after my mother as well and have been called girl all my life. Still the Prince looks way more manly then I do. I mean one dead give away is lack of breasts.

He is muscluar you'd have to be blind not see them, not saying he's buff but they are there. I think what Sialeeds was going for was a Pheonix like imagery, rising from the ashes of his defeat and lose of family and Sol-Falena. Course that's my interpretation of his rebel outfit and what it looks like a "dress" though frankly I think that is the wrong term to use. Sorta like calling a kilt a skirt and a kimono a dress.

You should have heard one of my friends rip on Tir, calling HIM a woman. *shakes head* I've even seen some call Riou effemine.

Now effeminacny aside how does he look likea sissy? Just because he's wearing a colorful outfit?
Steelriver

Post by Steelriver »

ShardStar wrote:I've seen far worse then the Prince, just look at the game Magna Carta, I'm serious that DOES look like a woman. The Prince just looks slightly femine and I think that's because he takes after his mother more, ie silver hair. Which is fine cause I take after my mother as well and have been called girl all my life. Still the Prince looks way more manly then I do. I mean one dead give away is lack of breasts.

He is muscluar you'd have to be blind not see them, not saying he's buff but they are there. I think what Sialeeds was going for was a Pheonix like imagery, rising from the ashes of his defeat and lose of family and Sol-Falena. Course that's my interpretation of his rebel outfit and what it looks like a "dress" though frankly I think that is the wrong term to use. Sorta like calling a kilt a skirt and a kimono a dress.

You should have heard one of my friends rip on Tir, calling HIM a woman. *shakes head* I've even seen some call Riou effemine.

Now effeminacny aside how does he look likea sissy? Just because he's wearing a colorful outfit?
Read my last post.
Falenan_descent

Post by Falenan_descent »

It could also be a little plot-based. Think about it.

This dude is brought into the ROYAL FAMILY of Falena. Females have all the power in Falena. The prince isn't next in line for the throne and I'm sure he was brought up to be slightly feminine since he was the first born and probobly an unexpected possibly unwanted male.
Steelriver

Post by Steelriver »

Falenan_descent wrote:It could also be a little plot-based. Think about it.

This dude is brought into the ROYAL FAMILY of Falena. Females have all the power in Falena. The prince isn't next in line for the throne and I'm sure he was brought up to be slightly feminine since he was the first born and probably an unexpected possibly unwanted male.
Ah good point. He could also be rebelling against his dads obvious male bravado.