umm.. richard

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Irongland

Post by Irongland »

I was thinking that Richard may be Mueller's son, but didn't know about it until later in Richard's life. Richard is like a product of a one night stand that Mueller wants to forget and Richard being around reminds him of his mistake. That's why he resents Richard so much and Richard needs a father figure in his life and has grown attached.
fashion diva

Post by fashion diva »

Belle wrote:
... Really? ... I must've missed this scene. Based on that, it does sound like a lot more than fanboyism. But then, we don't have exact quotes, so I can't say for sure. There's a lot of subtext in this game overall, so I try to take it lightly until I've got something a little more solid.
Really. I got this one on my second play, though ^^ If you get the scene be sure to not be idiot like myself, and write the quotes somewhere!
When Richard joined the Sacred Games he was drugged by some chick because she gave him cookies. Richard thought the girl was cute and all so he couldn't refuse, hence he was kicked in the ass in the 1st round.
Well, to be honest, the fact that he likes girls (and I doubt he doesn't) doesn't really exlude the fact that he might have a big crush on Muller. People seems to forgot this XD;
And zOMG Sars, that might be it, sure..! (note: I did understand the joke)
kenshindono

Post by kenshindono »

oh ya i forgot about the infirmiry scene. i didn't think he said love though, i thought he just said 'cared about me'

well i guess all signs point to him being at least a little queer for the guy =P
fashion diva

Post by fashion diva »

kenshindono wrote:oh yes i forgot about the infirmiry scene. i didn't think he said love though, i thought he just said 'cared about me'

well i guess all signs point to him being at least a little queer for the guy =P
No, he said love. I'm *almost* sure, and I said almost because my memory isn't really good. But I remember the fact because of that word, that was the one that caught my attention, so I really think it was "love" and not "care".
Dura Sinai

Post by Dura Sinai »

Desides wrote:
Qbwpij wrote:
In the context of the game, though, I think Richard just fanboys Mueller.
But us fan girls can dream, right? :D
Just as long as you don't write disturbing fanfiction about it...
You know, as much as I get annoyed at the random ridiculous fangirl pairings made between any two guys who happen to know one another, heck sometimes not even that, I can't see anything people come up with for pairings in Suikoden V being any worse than some of the pairings that have been made in the past.
True Lightning

Post by True Lightning »

Well if you want more out of Richard, just talk with him before your troops storm Sol-Falena. He's with Mueller and no Wilhelm (he's at the female bath), and Mueller will said something like "Prince, please make him (Richard) stop yapping, all that he talks about are baths, chicks and stuff and it's annoying".
Dura Sinai wrote: You know, as much as I get annoyed at the random ridiculous fangirl pairings made between any two guys who happen to know one another, heck sometimes not even that, I can't see anything people come up with for pairings in Suikoden V being any worse than some of the pairings that have been made in the past.
Reminds me of Harry Potter,

"ZOMG! Look!! Harry and Ron!! They SHOOK HANDS!!!! ZOMG THEY'RE IN LOVE!!"

Fangirls at best.
"Freedom comes at a price, Blood." - random WW II vet.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

fashion diva wrote:
redeyesblind wrote:I doubt he's gay, he DID enter the sacred games after all. .
And he did because Muller told him to. As a joke.
Now, honestly, not for fangirling and all, but I really do think that Richard has a BIG crush on Muller. And there won't be anything SO strange at all, seriously, in Japan this kind of things are more than common, and you can pretty much says that it belongs to their 'culture' (just think about the past...).
So, really, there isn't anything strange.
I personally don't think that it's more than a big crush, and I don't think Muller has the same feelings, but it's certian that he always feels kinda embrassed by Richard's way of acting. That's proven even in the bath scene when Richard starts to blab about how Muller's important for him and all (then Muller comes and take Richard away).
So, anyway, why do I think that this "mania" isn't just fanboyshism? Because of several things. Frist, if it was normal admiration there's no doubt about the fact that Richard would have certianly talked about it to Oboro. And he doesn't. Oboro says that Richard doesn't say ANYTHING at all about how he meet Muller and what his feelings about him are. Not a word. Now, you should agree with me that you would talk about someone you just ADMIRE, right? You won't, tough, if it's something extremly personal, as Oboro says. Then, if what he felt for Muller was common admiration, he would have wished to be just like him. That would have lead him to make his own unit, eventually. But he doesn't, and he choose to remain with Muller instead.
Lastly, there's a scene you can tiggrer between Richard and Muller if you goes to the infirmary just because going to rescure Belcoot for the frist time in Stormfist, on the sacred games.
You'll see the two talking, and Richard saying something like "You were so calm just before, and then your rushed over here once you knew I was injured. Eheheh, I know that deep down you love me."
Now, I know that in english 'love' is a word used for express affection as well. But it would be odd to say this to someone you ADMIRE. After that the discussion continue, and it ends in something like "I will kill you if you just don't shut up" "fine then, dying by the arms of Muller would be a great honor for me".
This as well doesn't really sound like an "admiration" phrase to me... but on this one, it might be all X/1999's fault.

Now, to end this post, everyone has their point of views, and I respect them. So, please, respect mine as well, and consider all the possible theories, instead of just excluding them because they doesn't sound right to you (I'm not accusing anyone, I just don't want this to happen).

I just found out that richards not gay

speka to mueller before the siege on sol falena on the final night and this is what he says EXACTLY{I have the in game dialouge on my tv right now}

"would you mind getting rid of this fool? He wont shut up about ladies, baths, and 'banging' 'bodies'...."

the only person in the room is richard so mueller is obviously refering to him and ive aquired all sod so there's no one else in the room he could be refering to

this preety much 100% confirms that richard is not gay
Simeon

Post by Simeon »

Whoever said richard was remotely gay should be slapped by lyon and sialeeds for even thinking that.
fashion diva

Post by fashion diva »

Honestly, I tought that it was an error and that Muller was actually talk about wil.. wi... the other one.
The reason is that I really don't see Richard being like that. I heard Wi... him saying "banging girls" or something like that severals time, and that totally looks like the word he would use, not Richard.

And really, I never said Richard is gay. As I said, the fact that he might have a big crush on Muller doesn't exlude the fact that he might be turned on by girls. Have you ever heard about something called bisexuality (on this note, a very good theory says all of us are actually bisexual, even if we are more attracted by a gender then another)?
Other than that, I would really like if people would start to talk with FACTS like the one who quoted Muller.
Saying just "you're sick, he's not gay" is... well, not for being offensive, but stupid. I gave you my theory, and I gave you the various reason why I think that. Saying just "it sicks" blablabla can't be even considered an opinion. Therefore, from now on I'll just ignore you if you don't say something smart.

Then, I would like to invite you to think about the fact we're talking about a japanese game, that has japanese culture in it. Not american. That's something I really hate, people talking while thinking in an american PoV. I'd like to mention again the fact that in Japan, a boy having a crush on a man is NOT strange, reason why we see a lot of cute boys being... well, like Richard to Muller. We can see this thing with girls as well (oh, but strangly, I don't see anyone EVER complain with a girl/girl thing going on...). Maybe on the next post I could link one interesting article about this fact... but it's kinda long. Of course, as long as someone CARES to hear one other opinion. Because, really, for now I saw just... what, 2/3 post with people saying something else than "fangirls are sick" and thinks like that? I guess people who FAIL to give explanation to their thinking are sicker :) And on a side note, I don't write sick fanfiction, nor I like to make couples from nothing. If actually someone cared to read my post, you would have noticed that I also think Muller doesn't feel the same way Richard might feel.
True Lightning

Post by True Lightning »

Now where should I start?
fashion diva wrote: Honestly, I tought that it was an error and that Muller was actually talk about wil.. wi... the other one.
The reason is that I really don't see Richard being like that. I heard Wi... him saying "banging girls" or something like that severals time, and that totally looks like the word he would use, not Richard.
Honestly, what error? The reason you don't see Richard like that and "wished" that it's actually a missed translation just because you don't want Richard to be like that and ignoring the plain facts in the game. Face it, it's there. and it's not Wilhelm's.
fashion diva wrote: Then, I would like to invite you to think about the fact we're talking about a japanese game, that has japanese culture in it. Not american. That's something I really hate, people talking while thinking in an american PoV. I'd like to mention again the fact that in Japan, a boy having a crush on a man is NOT strange, reason why we see a lot of cute boys being...
My, my where did you get those facts? anime? From yaoi animes or mangas like Gravitation, Tactics, Yami no Matsuei,or X and many others c like that? :roll:

Let me tell you girl. Animes are the worst place if you want to take a representation of japanese culture. It only make up what? 3-5 % of the whole culture? And guess what? a guy having crush to another guy is considered to be Taboo in Japan, just like in the United States. Hell, Japan is far more extreme because they would simply outcast or isolate them in some cases.

I happened know a person who lives in Japan in Okinawa military base and near down town Roppongi Tokyo, and these are what TRULY INFLUENCE the Japanese boys culture :

- Sex ( Seeing how in the 2003-2004 survey dictates Japan that the numbers of highs school virgin girls remained in Tokyo are only just 15-17% )
- PE Exercise (baseball, soccer and basketball), yep the kids likes to spend their times more in school.
- the most important one, MTV, yep no question about it. All of them boys are trying so hard to be Eminem that it's just sad.

Oh wait, maybe you see them from the way "pretty" j-stars like Gackt or other acted?? That's just to appease the fangirls you know, they admitted it in an interview :roll:

before you claim you know anything about Japanese culture I suggest you do a little bit research, not just based on animes. Or heck just go to Japan for the sake of it and see how the boys just love to talk about screwing up girls and skipped up clasess.

*off topic*

aside from all that above, the gaming industries are actually quite well respected in Japan, if not the whole world. However it also do not represent the true power of the Japanese audience. The Highest percentage of the Japanese audiences belonged to martial arts shows like K-1 and Pride Fighting Championship. The second comes Baseball handsdown. Seeing how glorify it so much when they beaten Cuba and winning the WBC. Kudos to Japan.
"Freedom comes at a price, Blood." - random WW II vet.
Kroi

Post by Kroi »

While I don't really believe Richard is gay, I do believe he's gone a little overboard with his... admeration. And I do believe that Muller's line was a miss-print. While I'd like to say that it wasn't updated from previous visits... I never actually went to talk to them before the eve of the battle... but did you actually talk to Richard? He wasn't saying anything about Banging bodies, he was say, "Muller, Muller, He's the best." And, as it never updated, I would assume he was chanting it.

Now, if you go to the bath, you'll meet Wil... Wilhelm? Well, any how. He'll say he's dissapointed that the baths are closed and how great it'd be to catch a glimps before the major battle... something about a little more motivation. Then when spoken to again he'll mention Banging Bodies... or was it banging babes? Either way, Muller's comment definatly seemed far from being focused towards Richard.
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

Does it really matter? :?

After all, regardless of what his orintation may be, it doesn't change that he is an awesome character. Richard is Richard.

Even if we're not entirely sure what that means! :D
We are free to severe the chains of Fate that bind us...Yet this, too, may be our Destiny.

Post by 3.14 »

Sars wrote:It's because Mueller saved Richard's life by killing Richard's abusive father.
Oooh. Cool. Is this scene in-game? I want to see it for myself. =)
Twighlight

Post by Twighlight »

richard is a powerful character in the game...
and even though his obssesion with mueller is very creepy...
its what makes him more interesting... dont you think?
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

I totally agree Twighlight.

I think the interesting story behind him makes up for a rather bland appearence. When I saw him I thought of Lyseria from VP. :shock:
We are free to severe the chains of Fate that bind us...Yet this, too, may be our Destiny.