Childerich an homage to Luca Blight?

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Crowetron

Re: Childerich an homage to Luca Blight?

Post by Crowetron »

Seriously, Childerich's "Die PIGS!" scene to me, was completely hilarious, mostly because he was nowhere near Luca's level of horrifying. And unless "Die PIGS!" is a common villianous phrase in Japan, it had to be intentional, and likely meant as little more of an in-joke. If Konami wanted to make another Luca, they would have.

Incidentally, ever since seeing this scene, I now always refer to Childerich as "Diet Luca"
"Death is for NPCs." ~ Red Mage

"Sometimes, justice is just a pretty word. Other times, justice is three feet of steel hittin' you in the face!" ~ Boz Wilde, philosopher

Georg = Batman?
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

I hate Childerich . . .

They were trying to make him like Luca Blight but he . . .was lame.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Baron

Post by Baron »

bah,Childerich was a coward who woudnt last 5 seconds against Luca Blight
Die Pig!
Crowetron

Post by Crowetron »

I wouldn't say Childerich was a coward, mostly because he seemed too stupid to feel fear. Yeah, Luca would butcher his sorry ass, but then, Belcoot would have, too, if not for the whole poison thing.

Ever notice the only time Childerich managed to effectively best his foes outside of the arena was when they were unarmed and begging for thier lives? Sure, Luca did that, too, but he just did it because it was so damn funny (for him). Diet Luca, on the other hand, probably just figured, "Hey, these guys I can beat! Wheee!" :roll:

"Sometimes, justice is just a pretty word. Other times, justice is three feet of steel hittin' you in the face!" ~ Boz Wilde, philosopher

Georg = Batman?
Lord Marquez

Re:

Post by Lord Marquez »

Was I the only one that hatted Childerich? I mean he had no depth, he just tried to much to be like Luca Blight. At least Luca knew what he was doing and had a very good reason for hes killing...

I wonder where Gizel found him anyway.

Edit: Bah there was a 2nd page? Sorry, I guess I wasn't the only one that disliked him
RangerDeon

Re: Re:

Post by RangerDeon »

Lord Marquez wrote:Was I the only one that hatted Childerich? I mean he had no depth, he just tried to much to be like Luca Blight. At least Luca knew what he was doing and had a very good reason for hes killing...

I wonder where Gizel found him anyway.

Edit: Bah there was a 2nd page? Sorry, I guess I wasn't the only one that disliked him
nope. He was lame in my opinion

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Pixelate

Post by Pixelate »

I personally liked Childerich. Sure, he didn't have much depth, but that does leave you a little room to imagine why he is as he is. A botched experiment during the development of Raging Nostrum, perhaps?

It's also better not to think of him as a mini-Luca Blight, as Luca was a brilliant character who tends to overshadow most video game villans.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

Pixelate wrote:I personally liked Childerich. Sure, he didn't have much depth, but that does leave you a little room to imagine why he is as he is. A botched experiment during the development of Raging Nostrum, perhaps?

It's also better not to think of him as a mini-Luca Blight, as Luca was a brilliant character who tends to overshadow most video game villans.
I don't compare him to Luca, it just annoys me that they tried to make him out to be like him. They should have replaced him with Yubar. :o

-Lorelai Gilmore
Crowetron

Post by Crowetron »

However you slice it, Childerich was an underwhelming villian. The guy could turn out to have some sort of truly epic and heartwrenching backstory, and still be boring and cartoonish.

Now that I think about it, they probably made him so over-the-top to make Dolph (and his monotone robot personality) that much more unnerving.

Georg = Batman?
rhombus

Post by rhombus »

I don't think Konami were patterning Childerich after Luca at all or implying in any way that Childerich is comparable to Luca. Insane and murderous are two qualities that could apply to tons of villains. I think the line was exactly what the thread title implies - an homage to Luca (and SII in general) and nothing more. For those who recognized the line, it's a fun little reference, for those who didn't, it's just a crazy line for a psycho killer.
Erk in danger!
i-heart-percival

Post by i-heart-percival »

even though i have to say that luca would kill childerich in one fell swoop, but chronologically speaking, wouldnt luca have taken that line from childerich? since sV took place before sII? i mean, right though...it's an interesting thought, no? i just wanted to know, kinda weird eh?
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

The line isn't even supposed to be there. It's just something the translators threw in on their own accord.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
i-heart-percival

Post by i-heart-percival »

ah i c