Pirate Talk

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Pirate Talk

Post by dragonmasterx »

Do the pirates of Suikoden IV and Suikoden Tactics talk like pirates should? In Japanese, their dialogue don't really seem pirate-ish to me. But maybe that's because I don't know how pirates are supposed to speak in Japanese.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Now that you mention it, the pirates of Suikoden IV/Rhapsodia did have dialect that differs from that of your stereotypical pirate. Since traditional pirates, Hook excluded, weren't exactly the most eloquent people in the world you could say the pirates of suikoden IV had more grace and civility than your run of the mill swashbuckler.
I hope everything is going delicious.
Belle

Post by Belle »

I always thought Steele talked most like a typical pirate... even if he wasn't dressed like one.
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

At least I now know why Sigurd isn't the typical kind of pirate, thanks to tactics.

And Steele...his hair reminds me of Emo-kids around the world these days. Dario and Hervey had the most common pirate trait.
aydas_arrow

Post by aydas_arrow »

hark! i return!
i go away for what 3 weeks and look at all the new people and posts i have to catch up on.

anyway on topic, Kikas pirates were more classy than your regualr pirates, the only one who a real piraty type would be Dario. then we have the other pirates in the form of jango and tuther one( can remeber its name) they were more like your striotypical pirates.

an intresting note is that the mermaid poachers working for the cray trading company (the battle just before the first mermaid joins) are a heck more piratey that Kikas pirates, even though they are ment to be merchants, though i suppose the merchant navy is just a classy name for pirates especially thoses who work under Ghraham Cray.
break that tree and i'll break your legs!

No one harms the forest and gets away with it!!
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

In Tactics so far as i played,
Brandeau and Dario had the pirate accent.

But pretty much, most of them including enemy pirates talked like stereotypical people with different tones.

Steele is a rip-off of the Penguin from batman.
Strategy is the key to victory!
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

...You're so right. I hadn't even realized it.
Raftrider

Post by Raftrider »

MatildaWhiteKnightLeader wrote:
Steele is a rip-off of the Penguin from batman.

Dude...you're right. The two look strikingly similar! I even share the same hatred for the characters!

Steele is the worst concept for a villian I have ever had the displeasure to experience.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

can someone please explain to me how steele resembles or acts like the penguin? :roll:
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

Resemblance is the most obvious. fat round head, large eyes. It's more obvious if you watched the original cartoon series back in the 90s.

Here's what the Penguin looked back then.
http://www.tvcrazy.net/tvclassics/wallp ... enguin.jpg

it's like the behemoths being a bad carbon copy of the evangelions.

Anyway, stereotypical people (example. Kika talks like a mature woman in the 40s).
Strategy is the key to victory!
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Or that one episode of Justice League where Lex Luthor was in an Evangelion look alike robot. Sometimes people just run out of ideas and begin to steal.. ha, although I doubt they thought of Penguin then created Steele...that would be funny if they did.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

well when I play new game+ ill see if the similarities are there, I did watch that series in the 90's, its actually still airing on the channel called boomerang. When I played against steele, I didn't notice any simalarities between him and penguin,perhaps I will in new game+ but I higly doubt it
Humphrey

Post by Humphrey »

I dont see any simalarites between steele and the penguin...other then there both short and want power so maybe there attatude
Sagiri

Re: Pirate Talk

Post by Sagiri »

They totally stereotyped on the s5 pirates. ohmygod. totally uncreative if you ask me. :x
It's a pinky promise. If I break my promise you break my pinky.