Gay Characters

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Calloe

Re: Gay Characters

Post by Calloe »

It's probably for the best characters' sexuality is not addressed most times. It gives fanboys and fangirls the opportunity to choose their own desires. That's why there's yaoi/yuri and fan fiction.
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

ShardStar wrote:I guess it's kind of interesting to know or wonder about it's just some people get very defensive about it. Like with Viktor, I saw a few posts get quite annoyed with the idea that if he was he'd be some sort of weakling because of it.
Exactly. He'd be the same awesome badass, either way.
Calloe wrote:It's probably for the best characters' sexuality is not addressed most times. It gives fanboys and fangirls the opportunity to choose their own desires. That's why there's yaoi/yuri and fan fiction.
Indeed :mrgreen:
Jeremiah Ecks

Post by Jeremiah Ecks »

I don't mind it being explicit what the characters' sexuality is. I don't particularly only want to 'think' about it only. I like it when they hint (Aldo) or openly state it (Lelei), but just saying 'oh well, here's Pahn, and he must be gay' or something. No, not interesting. Lelei is interesting because they give enough hints so it's clear she is a lesbian, but they don't say she is, hence the people who think she is just fixated on Lucrecia.

So who's not to say she is fixated and lesbian, anyway?

Even though there could have been hints, I don't find Aldo homosexual. I do think Lelei is very obviously lesbian. Anybody else is up for grabs. Tir does have a very strong relationship with Ted and Gremio that is a normal set of friendships, but could have scope for something more - especially if Ted and Aldo did. This perhaps is why Tir remains adrogynous with Kasumi.

I can't think of anybody else, at all. No, not even Milich or Kasios.

-Jeremiah Ecks,
who likes Lelei, one of his few SV favourites.
"Everything is something, but nothing is everything."
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Jeremiah Ecks wrote:I do think Lelei is very obviously lesbian.
I completely forgot about her (I'm not as familiar with V as I should be) but yeah, I'll agree on that. It pretty much hinted it in every scene she was in.

By the way, your funny sign off quotes make me happy. They're a lot better on the other threads but while I'm at it, I figure I'll mention it here.
Belcoot4

Post by Belcoot4 »

Especialy when Lucretia was trying to go to bed Lelei is like "do you mind staying up a little bit longer" or toward the end when Frey and Lucretia go to meet with the people from Armes, Lelei was spewing with jealously.
"Even the dead reveal their secrets to me." Yuber

"I have not lived long enough to become a myth." Chris Lightfellow

"They betrayed us and fled. Cowards." Zegai
Jeremiah Ecks

Post by Jeremiah Ecks »

Thanks, Bluti, you made my day. :D Something I picked up on other random MSG boards, particularly over at comicboards where I lurk as Jeremiah also. Nobody else likes that crummy movie (heh heh), so if you see a user as Jeremiah Ecks, it seems to be usually me, alas.

In regards to Lelei and the 'staying up scene', I agree Bel, it's obvious... but as I said, it's also underplayed wonderfully. It's all but overtly said, which in terms of sexuality is as it should be, don't you think? It gets very tiresome when you have a homosexual character who has to make a big point of saying 'I'm gay'. Being homosexual isn't what defines you. Your personality does that. So if Lelei was all, like, 'I'm a lesbian', that wouldn't be fair characterisation - instead, we get a very well written character; one who obviously idolises Lucrecia in a very pure yet incredily intense way. She has her own tactical expertise but is trying to learn from her mistress and bears a great failure with this. She has a strong friendship with other males (Cius), but she's not butch at all. Her personality isn't her lesbianism; her personality are all the other traits she has. She just happens to be lesbian and whilst she is burdened by it, the writers don't jam it down our throat.

Hence, underplayed, wonderfully so, and one of the few characters in SV I'd like to see more of.

-Jeremiah Ecks,
who wishes she just had a better design, is all. *Grumble*
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Yeah, that's great about Suikoden, they don't say things, but only hint at it.

The only really obvious thing might be Guillaume, who is imo a child molester, but maybe he just is crazy and misunderstood, much like Jacko (I don't think he was a child molester, but there was definitely somethng wrong in his psyche.. but that's OT)
Jeremiah Ecks

Post by Jeremiah Ecks »

Even a hint, though... I don't like it where it's just thrown around - maybe someone saying that Eikei is gay or something - or that Jeane is a Chocobo in disguise (at this point, however, who says she isn't... :?: ), but when it's intended but understated it's nice, like Lelei or Aldo. Putting in stuff we can't find out about in game - see 'Rowd's sister discussion' elsewhere - but was intended to be in, is a bit cheap though, and that puts me off.

Saying all of this, I'm the one who thought Odessa and Tir had a little bit more than platonic friendship, so I guess I even break my own rules. :roll:

-Jeremiah Ecks,
who thinks if you load up a save point from FFT into Suikoden Tactics, that is actually how you reveal the Chocobo Jeane secret. Once that's unlocked, if you load the save point into a PS3 and then play Final Fantasy VII on that and use the save, it will actually release You Know Who back from the dead and they will have Level 999 with a Secret Summon called Dragon Quest Queball Cannon. And the world will end. 'Nuff said.
Rikimaru

Post by Rikimaru »

this isnt really "gay" but one thing that weirded me out on s2 is when pilika wakes up jowy by going under the covers with him and theres just a "?" above his head i mean what the heck what she doing? thats wrong... also another thing i noticed on s2 is when ur going through north sparrow pass with the gypsies and rina does "something" offscreen with the guard there happens to be a conveniently placed typo saying north "swallow" lol i dunno thought i'd mention it
"How dare the Flame Champion appear after we've returned to Tinto, I will speak with him, or else!!" - Lilly Pendragon S3
"That place could turn an angel into a devil." - Elza S2
ShardStar

Post by ShardStar »

Pilika was scared and just getting into bed with the one person she trusted and cared for. Jowy didn't know what she was doing or what was wrong since Pilika was quiet. So get your mind out of the gutter it was an innocent scene of a scared little girl wanting to feel protected so she could go to sleep.

Yes everyone knows how naughty Rina was at the pass.

None of this has to do with Gay characters.
Calloe

Post by Calloe »

I think people are going to have their own ideas and fantasies, regardless. The question doesn't appear to be who is what, but what each person wants him/her to be. Personally, I want Hugo to be bisexual, but none of the canon stuff supports OR rejects that. The truth is what we wanna believe or fantasize about, not what the creators tell us.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

ShardStar wrote:Pilika was scared and just getting into bed with the one person she trusted and cared for. Jowy didn't know what she was doing or what was wrong since Pilika was quiet. So get your mind out of the gutter it was an innocent scene of a scared little girl wanting to feel protected so she could go to sleep.
She wasn't scared, she wanted to wake up Jowy by going to bed with him.. under the covers... it's really a strange scene, I always wondered what happened there. I think Nanami does something similar at one point, too.

Another idea- Camus and Miklotov? A bond of friendship and knightly vows bind them together- maybe they take a shower together once in a while ;)
Jeremiah Ecks

Post by Jeremiah Ecks »

Calloe wrote:I think people are going to have their own ideas and fantasies, regardless. The question doesn't appear to be who is what, but what each person wants him/her to be. Personally, I want Hugo to be bisexual, but none of the canon stuff supports OR rejects that. The truth is what we wanna believe or fantasize about, not what the creators tell us.
Sort of, Cal, but sort of not. I make a distinction as much as I can between what the writers intended and what we read into. I want to get into the writers' heads to better enjoy the world as they intended and therefore understand the characters better.

Lelei is probably intended by the writers to be lesbian, this is hinted at by the writers. I may want Jeane and Viki to be lesbian - just imagine!!! :evil: But... that doesn't mean they are going to be, are they? Any evidence, at all? No. So they're most likely not. I could spin some theory about how Jeane never goes with a bloke despite being the most voluptuous woman in the whole series. But that's just going to be unfounded - worth a discussion and I may come across believeing it for my own game, but it ain't going to change that it's my portrayal only - not the games', nor the writers.

My understanding is this discussion thread is to see who a) the writers wrote as homosexual and b) who we perhaps think were when evidence points out otherwise. You have Hugo pegged down as bisexual and you're right, that's your preference only, but not the writers'.

I still say Tir and Odessa almost loved each other, but... ehhh... Nobody else agrees with poor ol' me. :shock:

-Jeremiah Ecks,
who also has a weird theory about the sexuality of Genoh if anybody wants to hear it... :mrgreen:
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Jeremiah Ecks wrote:who also has a weird theory about the sexuality of Genoh if anybody wants to hear it... :mrgreen:
I'm assuming that's a joke, but I would actually like to hear it, hehe. He seems to like old men an awful lot :p
Jeremiah Ecks

Post by Jeremiah Ecks »

Uhm, yah, 'twas a joke. :oops:

-Jeremiah Ecks,
who is now reading Doctor Who: Instruments of Destruction. A step down in quality from other Who books but is still pretty decent.