Gay Characters

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
RangerDeon

Re: Gay Characters

Post by RangerDeon »

Double standard.

When a man throws himself at women, it's fine. Funny even. . .
When a woman throws herself at men. . . .she's a whore.
When a woman throws herself at another woman. . it's hot.
When a man throws himself at another man. . .IT'S A FAMILY SHOW! WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?!?!?!?

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
CFKane1982

Post by CFKane1982 »

I find it intriguing that there are a lot of people on the forum reiterating that none of the characters are gay, or that heterosexuality is the default sexuality for fiction. Both of these stances are in fact rubbish. Also, at the time of the release of the first Suikoden game, if any characters had been openly gay the game would have most likely received a more mature rating than what it did. But, that doesn't mean that there aren't indicators used by the game makers to denote homosexual characters. There is a history of dealing with themes of homosexuality in writing and film without alerting the censorship boards. For example under the strict production codes of Hollywood, a film could not directly present homosexuality. Under this system, Alfred Hitchcock made a couple of films that while not directly portraying homosexuality it is implied that the main characters are in fact gay. The most famous of these is Rope (1948). So in my numerous playings of the first 4 games, here is my take...

Tir and Gremio...not gay.
The Tir and Gremio relationship is the same as that of Alfred Pennyworth and Bruce Wayne. It is implied in the first game that Tir's mother died in child birth, and that Gremio became Tir's primary care giver. My guess is that while Teo loved his son, being a general he was absent most of the time, so it was left to Gremio to be mother, father, and servant to Tir.

Millich Oppenheimer...bisexual
Millich is both extremely effeminate, and a great warrior. Plus he has two live in artists one male (Ivanov) and one female (Kasios).

Vincent de Boule and Simone Verdricci...gay couple
Seriously, if you think otherwise you are extremely naive.

Schtolteheim Reinbach III...metrosexual
He likes girls, but also likes to pamper himself.

Well, that's all I've got.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Millich Oppenheimer...bisexual
Millich is both extremely effeminate, and a great warrior. Plus he has two live in artists one male (Ivanov) and one female (Kasios).
Kasios is actually male. He looks very female-like to the point that even the translators into the US version mistranslated his pronoun as "she." However, he's officially male.
CFKane1982

Post by CFKane1982 »

Well, either way on Kasios I still think Millich is bisexual.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

CFKane1982 wrote:Well, either way on Kasios I still think Millich is bisexual.
Why though? And what difference does him being a "great warrior" have on his sexuality?
TrueWater00

Post by TrueWater00 »

I dont think it matters if millich or any of the narcassist characters are homosexual or not. I still have much respect for them and think they are all amazing fighters, as well as serving an impotant purpose in every game, i was dissapointed when i heard our fav narcassist song for josephine because they made it a girl in V. It just wasnt the same!!
Heh,I'll make sure you can never make that grin again.I'll chop you up!Ground you up!Dry you in the sun!Break you to pieces!Bury you in the ground!Piss on you!Then i'll dig you up!Pull you!Stretch you!Drag you around!I'll Never Forgive You-Viktor
Eden

Post by Eden »

I don't like the behavior of the males who hit on women in the series and the same is true vice versa for me. Aside from the extreme cases, sexuality isn't really addressed very openly. This means I probably wouldn't notice a gay character if he doesn't show an attitude I am generally not in favour of.
I am not really into naming characters gay afterwards for political correctness if that hasn't been a part of the story or the character's background in the first place.
I think the only real way to give the sexuality enough space in the story to not make it a stereotype of formula is to make either the hero or one of the closest people around him gay. Although I am straight, I am totally fine with that.
The Fool
hotspot

Post by hotspot »

I think it would be awsome if gay characters were introduced! I also think it would be interesting if some of the characters we know and love came out of the closet or said they were bi as long as it's applicable to them.
"Every lie contains the truth, and every truth contains a lie..."~ Shu

Suiko-Kya-Cross
Forum about the Suikoden, Kya Dark Lineage and the Chrono games.
○♦•¤Suiko-Kya-Cross○♦•¤
Auragaea

Post by Auragaea »

Oppenheimer wrote:It's not Japanese media but Leliana from Dragon Age is bi and she's a very respectable character. Zevran is also bi but he's thoroughly amoral. Also those particular elements of their character do not consume their character. Zevran is a slut so sex does come up a lot with him, but Leliana doesn't wear her sexuality on her sleeve. I think you may approve of the way they handled her.
You know, the main reason I got DA:O was because I kept hearing about an awesome gay character that was in it. Little did I know that he was bisexual and that he was just a horndog. In Leliana's case, I wholeheartedly agree with you. I thought her entire character was well done and I really respected how her character wasn't only based around her sexuality, but also her past.

On the flipside, I didn't like the way they handled Zevran's sexuality. To me, it had the same problem as with Kanji's in P4 in that they don't really handle the male attraction aspect of their character well. In Kanji's case, it felt like they just added that part of his character in order for the other characters to make fun over it in the course of the game. With Zevran, they made him very sexually outgoing (for lack of a better word) towards female characters, but you actually had to talk to him for quite a bit before he started getting that way towards male characters. Also, the only important relationships that actually affected Zevran in his past were all female, but all the male relationships he had were all just rendered into jokes. I'm not saying he was a bad character (because he wasn't), but he wasn't a very good character to properly show a gay character or even a bisexual character with more preference towards males.

It's like he said, with his kind of past, he takes whatever pleasures he can find which makes me think that he's not necessarily bi, but rather, doesn't mind having sexual relationships with males.
Hmm... Didn't make much money. Next time, let's get rich! - Rachel
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

While I like Zev, I'm hoping that this new expansion would include a gay character (preferably gay and not bi. I mean, I may be asking for too much...but) who isn't a manwhore. Someone who you have to clock in some time with to 'nail'....

lol I just said "nail"

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

There are no romantic interests in the expansion. There may be side comments about sexuality I suppose, but there won't be any sexual interaction with the Warden.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

Lame!
I was hoping something new in the romance department.
Well, the game is still enjoyable sans romance.

-Lorelai Gilmore
Humphrey Mintz
Location: Rotherham, England. Originally Kirkcaldy, Scotland.

Post by Humphrey Mintz »

CFKane1982 wrote:Vincent de Boule and Simone Verdricci...gay couple
Seriously, if you think otherwise you are extremely naive.
Haha I know a lot of people will think this, and I do understand why, but I personally don't. I'm not homophobic (and actually have quite a few gay friends) but I just don't think they seem it. VERY feminine, yes. And very close, also. But I don't think that them being as close as that makes them gay. I think they see themselves in each other (not in THAT way, before anyone says something... XD) and because they're so alike, they become best friends. I just don't think they're afraid to show affection to each others. But I hug all my friends, male and female, and I am in no way attracted to men. Well, at the very least, I don't think they're gay with each other. Perhaps individually, even though I don't think so, but I wouldn't think of them as a gay couple. It'd be a bit too... obvious. I do think some characters in the series could be, but I don't think these two are. That's just my view on it though.
"Even in the forest, not just at night, during your work, praise the King" - Zombie, Suikoden

"All this killing... in front of a children!" - Mathiu Silverburg, Suikoden

"ᵍËMᵐʰ" - Futch, Suikoden II
Humphrey Mintz
Location: Rotherham, England. Originally Kirkcaldy, Scotland.

Post by Humphrey Mintz »

RangerDeon wrote:While I like Zev, I'm hoping that this new expansion would include a gay character (preferably gay and not bi. I mean, I may be asking for too much...but) who isn't a manwhore. Someone who you have to clock in some time with to 'nail'....

lol I just said "nail"
I wanted Leliana to be a total lesbian too. I was playing as a female the first time I played through and I thought it suited her more than when she got with my male (dwarf, haha!! XD) and I know she leans more towards the ladies, but still... I dunno. I think since there are straight-only romance options, there should definitely be gay-only. Perhaps male and female gay characters, male and female bisexual characters, and male and female straight characters. Then, everyone would have something for them. I'm not a perv or anything haha so that's not why I wanted her to be a lesbian. Also, WHY was Shale not a romance option? She was HOT!! XD
"Even in the forest, not just at night, during your work, praise the King" - Zombie, Suikoden

"All this killing... in front of a children!" - Mathiu Silverburg, Suikoden

"ᵍËMᵐʰ" - Futch, Suikoden II
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

I do agree that it would have been nice if there were a character who was just gay and not...into whatever. But that won't happen.

The very fact that there were bisexual characters caused players to complain.
People complain about an option.
Silly rabbits.

-Lorelai Gilmore