Snowe - spoilers inside!

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Tuna Hematoma

Snowe - spoilers inside!

Post by Tuna Hematoma »

Don't read if you don't like the spoilers!!

In a lot of reviews, people said that Snowe is one of the most interesting characters EVER. I totally don't see it. He's a daddy's boy who gets what he wants (it seems), Glen knows this, has no real respect for him. Then what happens? He's a total coward.

...then when you get him later, you find him adrift on a piece of wood and he's all "yeah okay, I'll join you now, because I've realized I'm a total coward"

Am I missing something? He's still a coward in my opinion and just joined back up with Hero because he realized the obvious? How is that "interesting"? He's still envious of the hero, but he's just come to terms with it... I just don't get what's so interesting about it. Please enlighten me.
evilsquint

Post by evilsquint »

it is because of his personality and his actions that make him interesting, hes not just some hero, hes much realer and his actions are much more like what someone in his position would do
Wodan

Post by Wodan »

Wimp, idiot, time waster, not loyal to friends.

OH MY ARM!
Hero: He said..He wanted some bread...

Cray: Hahahahah..
Wonderwhite!
Chaos_Zero

Post by Chaos_Zero »

Snowe happened to be one of the most realistic characters in all the Suikodens. He was obviously not perfect, but in the end he basically acknowledges that he couldn't have everything his way.

He becomes a better person BECAUSE of the things he went through. I think it is admirable to admit your own faults, as he did.

Heh, on a lighter note...

DADDY BLADE! XD
The Miraculous Epidemic, Cruel Salvation, and Merciful Genocide.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i find it was really hard to feel sorry for him in the beginning because he never seemed to act out of compassion, the entire freakin time. i really wanted Konami to show something good about him. he didn't do anything that earned any points when he tried returning to Razril either.. he ALMOST did. but didn't.

he also looks really ugly in the polygon form (so does Hero), and the lack of facial expressions on the polygons/CG forms is pretty pathetic.
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

"He can't be forgiven!! Off with his head!!"

I can't remember how many times I thought of picking that choice, but eventually I tried it, and man, did I feel somewhat bad just as I heard snowe being beheaded.

I was wondering....when Snowe attacks the nest of pirates, if you follow him to Razril and behead him, will he die storywise? I mean, he won't show up being pirate snowe later on?
Celsis

Post by Celsis »

I did think of Snowe as a coward throughout the whole game, but in the begining I could tell he needed some guidence, since he was actually struggling with what was right, perhaps it was too many blows in the face from Glen XD. The only thing that got me really mad was that the hero couldn't even talk him out of things because he is mute, like all the other previous hero's, besides ones from Suikoden III. If the hero could just talk to him and tell him everything I think it could have prevented the whole mess, or at least helped a lot cause Snowe was apologizing for his actions before he showed his true cowardliness, yet you just stood there and stared at him and gave a few responses of I didn't do anything and stuff. But eh, that's how the game went =p so I guess I can't say much for that.

He does act human for being scared, but even some of your normal fighters say they get scared or nervous before a big battle, yet they still fight. The hero's friends worry about him even after he betrays them and the hero. But he does realize his actions so that is why you can choose to forgive him in the end. But he still remains somewhat envious of you, and through some of the comments, even seems skeptical about you being a leader. Perhaps that is why he is considered interesting, because he is not a flat character. He changes from being a total coward to someone who realizes his mistakes and accepts his fate, that being your decision of killing him or not. He also decides to live life as a normal citizen after you beat the game, not as a noble again, I guess he has become humbler after the events he went through.
Gau

Post by Gau »

I thought it was interesting that when Snowe claimed his arm didn't work, when he thought of escape, his mind went immediately to the small ship to shore boat. Now, unless he planned on paddling in circles, he wouldn't be able to operate that with an immovable arm. Also whenhe gets to Glen's ship, he's miraculously healed. Then of course he later tells the Hero that "I want you to believe that my arm really wouldn't move." or something along those lines.
Rage Beat

Post by Rage Beat »

No one is really a superhuman in that kind of situation. Think about it,he was afraid. it may have not been the best idea to jump to conclusions but he was terrified, or maybe he thought if he found out who killed Glen he would gain some kind of respect from his team mates. He goes through a lot of changes and bands with many different people looking for a place to fit in. He stated he wondered why no one liked him. He IS a loser though.
Commander Glen punched the hell out of him about three times in the same day. When your teacher doesn't like only you it really lowers your self-esteem. He is a fine character that portrays realisim,he looks like a puppy and plus he has cute outfits. :D
YouKnowYouGeddoe

Snowe

Post by YouKnowYouGeddoe »

I'm not sure I'd say that I think Snowe is especially interesting, but I do agree that he's among the most realistic Suikoden characters. How many Tir McDohls do we know, people who can lead a rebellion, get the attention of an attractive female ninja, defeat famed warriors in single combat, and do it all with only a handful of words? How many Jowys, who can formulate a massively intricate plan (including murder and marriage) to bring down a powerful kingdom? How many Linos, who can get away with dressing like a bouncer at a Jimmy Buffett concert while running a small island nation? How many Geddoes, who can emit an almost palpable aura of cool, take part in all kinds of awesome adventures, and know exactly how hard to punch the dude in Le Buque?

On the other hand, all of us probably know a Snowe. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that some of us have even acted a little like Snowe on occasion. I certainly have. In fact, I feel that we need more characters like Snowe - humans with human weaknesses - and fewer cookie-cutter heroes like the one, saved from total cliche-ness only by his alarming daisy dukes, whose forgiveness Snowe sought.
We conjugate verbs and constipate nerds like you.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

yeah i think there were a lot of factors that were against Snowe that pretty much made him go crazy by the end of the game. i hated Glen for the way he treated everyone basically--he wasn't much of a moral leader, either. he just wanted to have his revenge on Troy.
Hero just watched Snowe fall hard, even though he is supposed to be a "True Friend'. ha. just stand there and let him get smacked around some more, eh? too busy training on how to bring food properly to Glen.
Celsis

Post by Celsis »

Although Glen was harsh on Snowe, it wasn't very leader like for Snowe to disregard his duties as captain by running away and abandoning his crew. I think that kind of discipline is more uh...well I guess realistic in some cultures and of some militaries...? I think Snowe did need a good smack into realism, but I guess he didn't need a physical one, but when you are a captain in charge of your men, you have to be a good leader, you are responsible for them, and one wrong move can cost lives, but Snowe disregarded all that and just ran away from his duties to save himself. Glen definitly did know what he was talking about, so I liked him for that. I guess that's why he needed to be so harsh on Snowe, although I can't say I agree to his method either, but hey, if you're in the military, what kind of treatment do you expect? You have to be a good soldier and care about your crew, especially if you are a leader, and Snowe seemed to boast about that enough. It's realistic if you are a normal soldier and you flee, since its happend in history, but it's not acceptable if you are a commanding officer. Although that has probably happend before though, rather sadly to say.
Nishi

Post by Nishi »

I really don't think Snowe was like that throughout the whole game though. In the beginning you do kind of get an idea of what a sincere friend he can be. He considered the hero a good friend even though their positions were different, and even during the Kindling Ritual, which was supposed to be a spotlight moment for him, he lets hero do it. Remember everyone was all asking, "Is that really okay?" To me it always seemed like Snowe wanted the hero to shine... Except when he finally did, Snowe couldn't handle it and went kind of nuts from there on... :lol:
Crowley's_Apprentice
Banned User

Post by Crowley's_Apprentice »

when snowe gets his white pirate outfit with the collar... wow... he looks like a flamin' homo!!!!!!!!!!!!
nephlabobo

Post by nephlabobo »

Big Spoilers!!!!

I remember reading the IGN review talking about Snowe's character development as "really impressive" or something like that.

I was expecting alot more.

He freaks out and abandons his ship, frames you for the death of Glen, sells out his country to their enemies and starts working for them.

(Granted, getting punched in the face by your commander every time you finish a mission isn't morale boosting...but it's no excuse for what he did.)

Then he suddenly disappears for 3/4 of the game except for when he's captured by you .... TWICE!

How much of a dolt is this guy??

By the time he joins your party, you find him completely washed up (no pun intended! haha) AT THE END OF THE GAME. He's suddenly humble and sincere - no DUH - I would be too if I had been found floating on a log!

Not only does he NOT redeem himself as a knight, he lives out his life....AS AN ORDINARY CITIZEN?!

Holy crap, did they EVER drop the ball on this! They could have had a great story focusing on the two former friends tying in with the themes of punishment and atonement - but they dropped the ball and made just as much of a mishmash of this part of the plot as the rest of it.