Suikoden Elves Question

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Re: Suikoden Elves Question

Post by Pyriel »

Nah, I got demoted because the admin who gave me those rights was mistaken in thinking I needed them to create the bug guides. I don't know what I would have done with that power aside from following through on changing Bruce's thread title to "My Husband is Playing Suikoden". Although, I think I have access to the PHPBB's database. So if I can figure out the schema, I can technically do both of those things anyway.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

Pyriel wrote: changing Bruce's thread title to "My Husband is Playing Suikoden"
That's a fact :P
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

In the end, it all depends on how skilled you are in terms of story-writing when introducing a new element to the Suikoverse. Before the release of S2, if you would’ve said you want to create characters with wings of a bat and eagle talons, and they’re supposed to share a town with kobolds, I think everyone would’ve advised against it. Or before the release of Tactics, if you had told people you want the hero to be the son of a half-goat creature from another world, people would’ve probably advised you to never write a Suikoden story. I should add to the latter example that people actually complain about the multiple-worlds concept (while at the same time ignoring that Dragon and Gate Rune rely on it) and the turn-to-fishman element in Tactics, but I haven’t read complaints about Kyril’s identity.

Every game/story has introduced new elements and concepts, and most of them were taken and modified from other stories. Transferring these elements to Suikoden in a way so that the player/reader accepts them and wouldn’t think of the original legendaries all the time is a big challenge. None of the Suikoden authors have succeeded 100%, but likewise, none of them has run from that challenge. If you’re in love with your idea and you’re confident in your story-writing, do it.

Suikoden has obviously taken concepts from Tolkien: forest-elves-with-bows concept, mountain-dwarves-with-axes/hammers concept, elves-and-dwarves-hate-each-other concept, etc. These have all become a fixed and accepted part of the Suikoverse, because the authors have done a good job. Then there’s the Tolkien concept of rare-relationship-between-elf-and-human. Now, you can’t accept some of these concepts while abandoning others arguing they’re not part of the Suikoverse, because none of them originally were. You have to treat all the same way and wait for the implementation. And then, if you can’t avoid thinking about Tolkien or a D&D game when reading the half-elf Suikoden story you can still criticize it, but first give it a chance, like you did with all the other concepts.
Pyriel wrote:Although, I think I have access to the PHPBB's database. So if I can figure out the schema, I can technically do both of those things anyway.
Fine, as long as you don’t abuse your power to globally replace “Suikoden” with “masturbation”, and “rune” with “f#ck”, and this kind of stuff…
sticky-runes wrote:The Greek myths, on the other hand, were not shy about how certain human-animal hybrids came into being.
Yes, Zeus banged everything that couldn’t get out of his visual range in time. Others were cursed: Medusa, a beautiful temple maiden loyal to Athena was raped by Poseidon within the temple of Athena. Afterwards Athena appeared and cursed Medusa for having sex in her temple, turning her into the monster we know. Greek Gods are much worse than True Runes.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
yumsky

Post by yumsky »

I dont remember seeing any half-half species in suikoden..

So I think every races in suikoden are only (breeding) compatible with the same races.

It's like human can have sex with a gorilla or an orangutan, but we are not compatible, they/we cant get pregnant from having sex with them
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

yumsky wrote:So I think every races in suikoden are only (breeding) compatible with the same races.
Walter and Yohn.
yumsky wrote:It's like human can have sex with a gorilla or an orangutan, but we are not compatible, they/we cant get pregnant from having sex with them
How nice to compare elves with apes. :P
Orang Utan literally means “man of the forest”, so why not…
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

Apes are awesome, no shame in being compared to them !
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Elves from Toran believe some apes evolved into humans, and some chosen humans evolved into elves. Some human scientist from Dunan however believe in a different order: apes evolved into elves evolved into humans, because elves still have that forest affinity. Harmonians believe that both theories are BS and science is a hoax.
yumsky

Post by yumsky »

Walter & Yohn, but Yohn is from a different world, like Yuber, maybe they are compatible..

While if came from the same world its not compatible.

Like human cant breed with ape, but human might be able to breed with an alien from a different world ;)
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

like in V?
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

yumsky wrote:Like human cant breed with ape, but human might be able to breed with an alien from a different world ;)
Star Trek's been trying to spread that rumor for years, when the probability is more like zero to nil. And the nil is mostly there to allow for complete unknowns, or the possibility that Mormon theology has some basis in truth.
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Post by suiko2fan2 »

If Kyril's parents can be so "different" from one another then it seems logically to me, that humans and elfs could maybe also reproduce.
I will establish one mighty nation in this land. A single, powerful nation, born of force and wielding force. That is the one and only way of freeing this land from war.

Best Suiko FanFic:
www.fanfiction.net/s/5194891/1/The-Puni ... of-the-Sun