Suikoden I characters are looking older than they are?

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Suikoden I characters are looking older than they are?

Post by Sasarai10 »

Or is it just my idea?

For example when i saw Kessler and Ledon i thought that they were both around 55-60 and i was surprised to see that they were only 41 and 37 respecitvely...even Viktor calls Ledon "old man" :roll:

Not to mention about Hugo who looks like a man in his 40s...and he is just 17 :lol:

Probably his moustache is fake in order to look more sophisticated.

Another crazy example is Marco,who i thought that he was a WOMAN in her 40s,judging by her portrait and because Marco can be a girl's name too....and guess how i felt when i found out that actually he is a 12 yo boy. :o

Also,has anyone noticed that in this game,there are many more men who have a moustache unlike the other games? Barbarossa,Kasim,Kanaan,Leonardo,Lepant are a few to mention.....and on the other games we have only 2-3 characters with a moustache...strange isn't it?
Rachael

Re: Suikoden I characters are looking older than they are?

Post by Rachael »

I don't think anyone realized that Marco was a little kid.

Don't forget Griffith! He looks like he's in his late 30s or early 40s, but he's actually only in his 20s. He shares this trait (and many others!) with Dios. I have a little headcanon that the two are related.

Yes, the male characters are, on a whole, a lot prettier in the later games. I think it was probably a nod to the increasing number of female gamers. The Tenkai got prettier, too, and more androgynous. Especially in V. Damn.
"F*** you, I'm a goat." -Yohn
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Rachael wrote:I don't think anyone realized that Marco was a little kid.

Don't forget Griffith! He looks like he's in his late 30s or early 40s, but he's actually only in his 20s. He shares this trait (and many others!) with Dios. I have a little headcanon that the two are related.

Yes, the male characters are, on a whole, a lot prettier in the later games. I think it was probably a nod to the increasing number of female gamers. The Tenkai got prettier, too, and more androgynous. Especially in V. Damn.

Indeed Griffith looks like he is 40 but he is 26...Chandler looks much older too,like he is in his 50s and he is just 32.

And yeah Dios was looking older too,and he was the right hand man of a strong leader just like Griffith,but yet i wouldn't say they're related at all...the one is Harmonian and the other is from Gregminster and they don't look like each other that much
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

I think it's a trope in Japanese fiction in general to have characters being WAY younger than they look. Japanese seems to enjoy the idea that you can be a veteran at age 19 and being extremely mature at age 15. They like to flatter their teenage audience I think. We are a bit over it in the West so it seems very strange to us. It's definitely a different standard.

I don't think we are wrong to see these characters with a different age than they do: we are just adapting the characters to our culture. No one here would see a youngster as a wise authority figure so if the author's intention was to design a character as a wise authority figure then it's better if we see it as an older person.

This is why I don't bother looking at the age of characters as they were given in canon sources. What does matter is the way I perceive them in accordance with their personality and the role they were intended to play. The canon age was made for a Japanese audience with Japanese references and I'm not Japanese so there you go.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

huh...i always had the impression,that Japanese guys were looking younger than their age.

but still...a 17 yo boy with a MOUSTACHE? how is it possible to grow a moustache like Hugo's at this age? :o
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Some people are just naturally very hairy. I had a hairy back and crack before I hit 20.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Yeah. A kid I knew in high school could grow a pretty substantial beard in a week's time before he'd even gotten is driver's license.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Me as well, proud mosutache owner :)

But you're right, I couldn't find any (original) character in Suikoden II with a moustache. IV and V again had more people wearing one.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Suikoden 4 had quite a few moustachioed characters, including Setsu, Izak, Colton, Karl, Gary, Lord Vingerhut, and that old cunt who runs the lottery.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

sticky-runes wrote:Suikoden 4 had quite a few moustachioed characters, including Setsu, Izak, Colton, Karl, Gary, Lord Vingerhut, and that old cunt who runs the lottery.
+ Axels father.
In V, we have Mohsen, Sairoh, and.. Retso?

In II, Hai Yo and L. C. Chan!
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Again compared to other games,SI had:

Barbarosa
Kasim
Blackman
Leonardo
Lepant
Kanaan
Chandler
Varkas
Kessler
Hugo (although i doubt that his moustache is real)
Leon
Zorak
Mose*
Gaspar
Antonio
Ivanov
Jabba
Milich

Also,facial hair but not moustache exactly:

Kraze
Dwarf Chief
Ain
Kamandol
Tesla
Sergei
Mace
Tai Ho
Eikei
Max
Sancho
Liukan
Fukien
Kanak
Moose
Warren

total 34....that's about half the male adults in S1 i guess

*Another thing i noticed is that the better the blacksmith is the more facial hair he has. The first 2 blacksmiths (Maas,Meese) are clean-shaved,Mose has just a moustache,Moose has a full beard and Mace has a long beard like ZZ Top guys.

@sticky-runes hairy back??? :shock: gosh you don't mean something like pro wrestler George "the Animal" Steele?

anyway Suikoden didn't have any hairy guys at all when it comes in body hair...in the last 2 Suikodens where you could see them naked in the bath,only Logg and Gavaya had body hair...especially Gavaya :lol: :lol: :lol:
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

@sticky-runes hairy back??? :shock: gosh you don't mean something like pro wrestler George "the Animal" Steele?
I don't who that is, but back hair is highly underrated. It's good for disguising bacne.
anyway Suikoden didn't have any hairy guys at all when it comes in body hair
A bitter disappointment.

But then, adding pixelated bodily hair to simple graphics would look weird, so that gets left to the imagination.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote:
I don't who that is, but back hair is highly underrated. It's good for disguising bacne.

A bitter disappointment.

But then, adding pixelated bodily hair to simple graphics would look weird, so that gets left to the imagination.

George Steele was a popular wrestler back in the 80s:

http://www.allwrestlingsuperstars.com/w ... n-Ring.jpg

Disappointment why? Personaly i dislike body hair,and i find it kind of...weird in our days.

I cannot imagine Riou,Flik and Viktor in the bath together with body hair from their head to their toes :lol: :lol: :lol:
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Sasarai10 wrote:
Disappointment why? Personaly i dislike body hair,and i find it kind of...weird in our days.

I cannot imagine Riou,Flik and Viktor in the bath together with body hair from their head to their toes :lol: :lol: :lol:
I like men to be men. If a guy naturally doesn't have a lot of hair on his body even in his 30s or 40s, fine, but I can't stand guys who do go out of their way to remove EVERY bit of unsightly hair from their body. We're men. We get hair growing in odd places, it's nothing to be ashamed of. Keep it natural, I say.

As for Flik and Viktor - Flik is supposed to be the pretty boy so he probably wouldn't be very hairy, perhaps just a tuft of hair on his chest. But Viktor is the bear - he should be covered.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote:
Sasarai10 wrote:

I like men to be men. If a guy naturally doesn't have a lot of hair on his body even in his 30s or 40s, fine, but I can't stand guys who do go out of their way to remove EVERY bit of unsightly hair from their body. We're men. We get hair growing in odd places, it's nothing to be ashamed of. Keep it natural, I say.

As for Flik and Viktor - Flik is supposed to be the pretty boy so he probably wouldn't be very hairy, perhaps just a tuft of hair on his chest. But Viktor is the bear - he should be covered.
True about Viktor...because many people in Suiko-world mention that he looks like a bear...yet he has no body hair...so i guess they call him like that,because of his big size and his brown clothing :lol:

btw,warriors in middle-ages were use to shave their body hair...so it wouldn't fit to make them hairy....Gavaya made him hairy on purpose just in order to look the ugly guy who use to get avoided by women...no offence of course...but that's probably the philosophy in Suikoden :P :P :P