Question about elves age

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Question about elves age

Post by Sasarai10 »

In S5 Isato is 60 and Urda 46,but they could pass exactly like half their age (30 and 23 respectively) In S3 we have Roland who is 25,but not only he couldn't pass as a...12,5 year old,he looks older too. Same goes with Nei who is 18....she was supposed to look like a child,but not. Oboro mentions that elves look much younger,but Isato & Urda are different than Roland & Nei...what's going on anyway? :?:
ItsDaveyJ

Re: Question about elves age

Post by ItsDaveyJ »

Well if you are going by the character portraits... a lot of them in S3 don't seem to reflect the characters ages correctly. Ace looks like a 70 year old man in his portrait when he is only in his mid 30's. Nash looks like he is in his late 40's to early 50's in his portrait. Chris looks like she should be 27-32 but she is only 22... it happens in every game where the art sometimes doesn't match up with the characters ages.

But maybe instead of thinking of it as a definite formula of "elves look half their age" perhaps how their biology functions is that they reach adulthood in appearance at a normal progression but then aging decelerates rapidly after reaching adulthood.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

ItsDaveyJ wrote:Well if you are going by the character portraits... a lot of them in S3 don't seem to reflect the characters ages correctly. Ace looks like a 70 year old man in his portrait when he is only in his mid 30's. Nash looks like he is in his late 40's to early 50's in his portrait. Chris looks like she should be 27-32 but she is only 22... it happens in every game where the art sometimes doesn't match up with the characters ages.

But maybe instead of thinking of it as a definite formula of "elves look half their age" perhaps how their biology functions is that they reach adulthood in appearance at a normal progression but then aging decelerates rapidly after reaching adulthood.

Nash loooks like in his late 40s??? :?: :?: :?: No way,he looks much younger like he is in his mid-20s. Even in the game it mentions that he doesn't look like a 37 y.o. guy
Chris looks older because of her white hair.
On the other hand Ace,looks older that's true. not 70,but he could pass as a 50-55 y.o. guy i guess.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I think that's it. They reach adulthood and then live for many years until they look older. You also don't know when an Elf reaches adulthood, maybe it's when they are 12.
ItsDaveyJ

Post by ItsDaveyJ »

Sasarai10 wrote:
ItsDaveyJ wrote:Well if you are going by the character portraits... a lot of them in S3 don't seem to reflect the characters ages correctly. Ace looks like a 70 year old man in his portrait when he is only in his mid 30's. Nash looks like he is in his late 40's to early 50's in his portrait. Chris looks like she should be 27-32 but she is only 22... it happens in every game where the art sometimes doesn't match up with the characters ages.

Nash loooks like in his late 40s??? :?: :?: :?: No way,he looks much younger like he is in his mid-20s. Even in the game it mentions that he doesn't look like a 37 y.o. guy
Chris looks older because of her white hair.
On the other hand Ace,looks older that's true. not 70,but he could pass as a 50-55 y.o. guy i guess.
I think his portrait makes him look old but it's just my opinion. How other characters react to him doesn't matter and his character model doesn't matter... I'm talking about the portrait art. And I disagree about Chris... she looks older because of her presence and her role as the leader of the knights. Storm from the X-men doesn't look old because of her white hair and other characters can have white hair without looking old. I think they just decided to make Chris too young. Japanese developers seem to have something against older women in general xD

But that is all besides the point. It's all opinion based on how I see the character portrait art. My main point regarding the point of the topic still stands xD
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

Glad someone else noticed how Ace looks so much older than he should. I disagree about Nash though, and imho they got him right. Isato and Roland look about the same age as each other to me, maybe late 30s to early 40s.
Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 - Break the ICE
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

EstrangedIX wrote:Glad someone else noticed how Ace looks so much older than he should. I disagree about Nash though, and imho they got him right. Isato and Roland look about the same age as each other to me, maybe late 30s to early 40s.

Another question i have is,why they call Joker an old man,when he is only 45 y.o.? He looks younger than Ace truth is.

Another good example is Kirkis. He is 35 but he looks much younger too,like early to mid 20s

I wonder why they made Roland looking older
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

I think that with Joker it's just Ace teasing him. Totally agree about him looking younger. Between Kirkis and Roland I'd say it was just different art styles and interpretation. A little consistency would've been nice though.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

EstrangedIX wrote:I think that with Joker it's just Ace teasing him. Totally agree about him looking younger. Between Kirkis and Roland I'd say it was just different art styles and interpretation. A little consistency would've been nice though.

If i'm not wrong,i remember that Kidd in one of his investigations called him old man too.
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

Not sure I did all of the investigations, so missed that. He is older than both of them though, so I guess it's just their perspective.