Why Gantetsu becomes recruitable that late?

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Why Gantetsu becomes recruitable that late?

Post by Sasarai10 »

That makes no sense. He appears,as soon as you have access to South Window,he doesn't need any castle level requierment,and you can have that amount of strength much earlier in the game.

The only possible explanation,is that it has something to do with Neclord,because he is recruitable once you defeat him....but he had never had any grudge against him,as it seems.

So i wonder,was he supposed to recruited earlier,but something happened during the creation of the game,and they made him recruitable that late? :roll:
Shasarazawoowoo

Re: Why Gantetsu becomes recruitable that late?

Post by Shasarazawoowoo »

Plenty of characters are visible early on and able to be spoken to, but can't be recruited till much later. Jude from Greenhill's another example (if I remember right, anyway), as is Genshu in Coronet. Isn't Genshu there the whole time? And in I, Quincy won't join you unless you've recruited everyone available at LEAST up to the Cave of the Past, but I believe he's at Garan from the moment you take it to enter Milich's domain.

I'm sure there are similar early-sight late-recruit characters throughout the series. Not many, but some.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Shasarazawoowoo wrote:Plenty of characters are visible early on and able to be spoken to, but can't be recruited till much later. Jude from Greenhill's another example (if I remember right, anyway), as is Genshu in Coronet. Isn't Genshu there the whole time? And in I, Quincy won't join you unless you've recruited everyone available at LEAST up to the Cave of the Past, but I believe he's at Garan from the moment you take it to enter Milich's domain.

I'm sure there are similar early-sight late-recruit characters throughout the series. Not many, but some.

Yeah sure. But Jude being recruited later makes some sense,because he remains in Greenhill until you liberate it. And Genshu wants a level 14 weapon and a castle level 4 in order to be recruited. Quincy is just like Bob,he wants you to have at least 80 recruits.

But Gantetsu is different. He just wants you to have 400 points of strength,which can be acquired just as soon as you have your HQ. Kinda strange isn't it? :roll:

btw,add the act that he joins at level 27 which is an average level by the time you get your HQ. After Tinto arc the average level of your character is 45-50. So i guess that he was supposed to be recruited earlier...but something changed during the creation of the game :wink:
Shasarazawoowoo

Possibly, but isn't Genshu pretty weak for when you recruit him, too? As for Gantetsu, you need 400 Strength to BEAT him, yes, but he's just plain not interested in being recruited before that point. Who knows, his motives aren't really clear. Only connection I see is he originally was excommunicated from the Temple of Qlon, which plays a part in the Neclord story arc in SI, and here you recruit him after closing out the Neclord arc.

I like to think he doesn't wanna go to what used to be North Window till he knows for sure Neclord's not gonna come back and kill him or anything. After all, he's way behind you level-wise when he joins, so maybe he's just a wuss.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Recruiting Jude late does have some benefits, because a lot of the plans aren't available until much later int he game, so it's quite good to not recruit him too early and build the wrong statue.

I always thought it was silly how Gantetstu doesn't became recruitable until much later. Maybe he's busy listening to people's confessions and stuff in S.Window?

Not as bad as Pesmerga though. showing up at the place where we collected Star Dragon sword ages ago, hoping to come across Yuber. that guy really sucks at pursuing his arch rival.
Shasarazawoowoo

I dunno, isn't Pessy recruitable before you go to liberate Greenhill? I haven't played in a while, so I'm not sure, but if he is, he may have sensed that you'd be coming across Yuber soon (since you do cross paths with Yuber during Greenhill's liberation) and wanted to tag along. Though it doesn't do much good... I can't recall when else he pops up in SII, though.

Whereas if you can't recruit Pessy until AFTER liberating Greenhill, well, that's just funny. "Yuber? Just missed him, sorry."

"I j... you saw- son of a bitch! Listen, can I crash with you in case you run into him again?"
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I think you can get Pesmerga before meeting Yuber at Greenhill. Nothing happens between them, though. Pesmerga is a cunt.
Shasarazawoowoo

Yuber must be an ex he wants to see just one more time - just to make sure he's okay, but so Pesmerga knows Yuber's just dying without him - and he doesn't have the balls to say anything. He just wants to see Yuber finally ask to be let back into Pesmerga's life. It'll happen one day. He knows it will. It just has to. It just HAS to.

...Actually, I'd personally fund the Suikoden that happened in if that ever did actually happen. It'd be priceless.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Pesmerga is recruitable after liberating Greenhill. He belongs to the last set of recruits. But nope nothing happens between them if they come across,both in S1 and S2 :(
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

Thats a bit like Tessai if I remember rightly, or even if not he's definitely mentioned!! I think its stupid finally getting a blacksmith THAT late in the game that you've already collected 2 of the hammers!! I mean, if you were playing it for the first time you'd b like, "Hammers? What are these for, unless I can take them to any blacksmith and he'll put my weapons up to that level.......................wait, hang on, that didn't work......................WTF?!?!" Stupid!
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Jocky wrote:Thats a bit like Tessai if I remember rightly, or even if not he's definitely mentioned!! I think its stupid finally getting a blacksmith THAT late in the game that you've already collected 2 of the hammers!! I mean, if you were playing it for the first time you'd b like, "Hammers? What are these for, unless I can take them to any blacksmith and he'll put my weapons up to that level.......................wait, hang on, that didn't work......................WTF?!?!" Stupid!

Yeah i agree about Tessai. It's strange getting a blacksmith that late in the game,since you already have 2 hammers :wink:

He is just mentioned by his apprentice in Kuskus,and when you view Templton's map,but not with his name.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Tessai the tosser. And what's his requirement? to see the Star Dragon Sword, which we've had since before the HQ and leader were even established.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote:Tessai the tosser. And what's his requirement? to see the Star Dragon Sword, which we've had since before the HQ and leader were even established.

Don't forget that there is no space for a 5th and 6th shop in your HQ's shopzone,before you have castle level 3 :D

So i guess the best time to recruit him,is once you have castle level 3.
ralphyu

Post by ralphyu »

You already have the graveyard area right in the beginning? Gantetsu only stayed there, am i right?
~To defy Me is to defy the Sun~ Arsthat Falena
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

The room thing is no excuse. Didn't Maas start off on the first floor, before relocating the entire forge to the second floor after the castle was expanded?

And surely, if you're building an army, the blacksmith should be one of the first things on the list. I guess Tsai was a smith of sorts, since he was overlooking the fire spears, but there really should have been a regular smith shop in the castle at an early stage, instead of us having to traipse around to the neighboring villages, which were constantly coming under enemy occupation.