Camus's Sword

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Sylo

Camus's Sword

Post by Sylo »

Okay, so it has only just occurred to me that Uriah, the name of the sword Camus possesses, is the name of a mayor, who presided over Muse 100 years ago....

Now, as Camus was born in the Grasslands and really has no known affiliation with Muse OR Greenhill, this doesnt really seem to make sense. It is not explained why and how his sword was named (for other people like Hix and Flik, we are presented with such) or any backstory for this.

So I ask the community of Suikosource, can anyone please help me find the answer?

Here is the suikoden wiki entry for Uriah

"A Mayor of Muse over 100 years ago. Uriah granted Greenhill the right to declare independence from Muse Principality during his time in office"

Would be much appreciated :D
"You will never be strong if you consider yourself weak" - Cleo, Suikoden
Pyriel
Webmaster

Re: Camus's Sword

Post by Pyriel »

"Uriah" is also the name of several characters in the Bible, including a faithful soldier who refused to leave his king's side despite having many good reasons to do so, and who was betrayed, leading to his death. That seems to be the more likely source of the name. Camus doesn't make a big deal out of naming his sword in the game, and I don't believe we have any information that even remotely relates him to the Warriors' Village. There's no reason to assume that he had anything to do with choosing that name.
Sylo

Post by Sylo »

Pyriel wrote:"Uriah" is also the name of several characters in the Bible, including a faithful soldier who refused to leave his king's side despite having many good reasons to do so, and who was betrayed, leading to his death.
Thanks for that reference. I would have made that connection eventually, but the fact that there is a Mayor named Uriah piqued my curiosity, and as there *seemed* to be a connection, I wanted to follow it up before assuming otherwise. But I guess even your explaination is speculation, but I'll take it.

Btw, I never tried to say that Camus was in any way related to the warriors village, was just using Hix and Flik as examples. Also, its just strange that the name of the sword Miklotov uses, has NO reference to anything whatsoever (so google suggests).

Dont go thinking that I am gonna try and see a connection between EVERY weapon in the game! xD I just stumbled across the connection and it made me curious :P
Aerolithe Lion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

I don't think Camus named the sword after the bible, if that's what you were insinuating. But yes, the English translators or even the original Japanese dialogue probably borrowed the named for the mayor. And then the sword was named after that mayor. Final Fantasy games use terms and names out of the bible all the time.

For a sword used to defend a country having the exact same uncommon name as the mayor of that specific city, not coincidence. If I recall correctly, Camus and Mikolotov used either rapiers or long swords, which were not common Grassland weapons. So most likely he moved to Greenhill, joined the knights and was presented with his sword -- either named before he got it or he named it after living there for a period of time and realizing its history.

If he was using it to defend the lives of Greenhill, it wouldn't make much sense to name it 'Sana' or 'Kianu'
killerslime

Post by killerslime »

I thought that Camus was from Camaro like Mua was but he couldn't join their Free Knights what with him being the second born?
Sylo

Post by Sylo »

Aerolithe Lion wrote:I don't think Camus named the sword after the bible, if that's what you were insinuating. But yes, the English translators or even the original Japanese dialogue probably borrowed the named for the mayor. And then the sword was named after that mayor. Final Fantasy games use terms and names out of the bible all the time.

For a sword used to defend a country having the exact same uncommon name as the mayor of that specific city, not coincidence. If I recall correctly, Camus and Mikolotov used either rapiers or long swords, which were not common Grassland weapons. So most likely he moved to Greenhill, joined the knights and was presented with his sword -- either named before he got it or he named it after living there for a period of time and realizing its history.

If he was using it to defend the lives of Greenhill, it wouldn't make much sense to name it 'Sana' or 'Kianu'
Yes, this is most likely true. I can accept that religious names are included in games, especially where Final Fantasy is concerned. But it does indeed make more sense for the sword to be named after someone actually relevant to the game than an outside source not in accordance to the Suikoden world.

All this has certainly made me more interested the Matilda knights :D
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

No, I meant to insinuate that the developers chose a name out of a commonly known story. Several people have weapons named for Norse and Hindu figures, and there's no earthly reason for that beyond the developers thinking they were appropriate. I kind of doubt the connection even exists between the Mayor and the sword, aside from the vague one of the same name being picked twice for different reasons.
Sylo

Post by Sylo »

Pyriel wrote:No, I meant to insinuate that the developers chose a name out of a commonly known story. Several people have weapons named for Norse and Hindu figures, and there's no earthly reason for that beyond the developers thinking they were appropriate. I kind of doubt the connection even exists between the Mayor and the sword, aside from the vague one of the same name being picked twice for different reasons.
But your answer is still speculation. The connection between the Mayor and the sword, whilst still being speculation, is logical within the context of the game
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

And also speculation based on nothing more than the same 3 sounds/5 symbols being used for two different things, unless somebody has real evidence of a more meaningful connection that hasn't been shared yet.
Sylo

Post by Sylo »

Pyriel wrote:And also speculation based on nothing more than the same 3 sounds/5 symbols being used for two different things, unless somebody has real evidence of a more meaningful connection that hasn't been shared yet.
Hence my original post in this thread :P
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Maybe you shouldn't busy yourself ranking pure speculations and declaring your own speculations logical until there's some real evidence then. I honestly don't think any will be presented, so the "Mayor of Muse" theory has no more weight of logic or evidence behind it than the "Just a Name" theory. All you're accomplishing is annoying me by doing it.

Aerolithe made a fair case, but really it's the Simcha Jacobovici method of historical research: "if I assume that my initial assumption is logical or correct, and move on from there to make more assumptions based on that starting point, and assume that the most 'logical' of those are correct at each step, I can build a bigger house of cards." It's interesting, but there's no proof of anything in any of it.
Sylo

Post by Sylo »

Pyriel wrote:All you're accomplishing is annoying me by doing it.
I dont wish to annoy you, but perhaps you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss my theory either, even if it holds the same weight as yours.

I can understand why these forums kinda died, there doesnt seem to much going on apart from people attempting to be keyboard warriors or disagreeing with peoples opinions or ideas.

Its a shame, because the facebook page is entirely the opposite.
Aerolithe Lion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

It doesn't help anything to name call or bash the forums, Sylo. He's picking at your comment, not you. I'm not sure why you're taking it so sensitively.

I think we've looked into the sword as much as we can 'logically', and the OP has thanked us for our input. That should be it unless you have something new to add, but posting just to defend yourself or attack others should be left to private messages.
Sylo

Post by Sylo »

My question alone is something new which I have not seen on these boards.

Where did I name call? It was a speculation, I didnt directly insult anyone.

I dont wish to conduct negativity, only discussion. We are not children, are we?
Aerolithe Lion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

" people attempting to be keyboard warriors"

The irony here is that this is the most offensive thing I've read on these boards in awhile. I would be struck if this was directed at me and I'm sure Pyriel would say the same. I understand if his comment wasn't to your liking, but nothing was said to warrant this