Rowd must be a SoD?

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Rowd must be a SoD?

Post by Sasarai10 »

What do you think guys? We had a conversation in another topic here,about monsters being SoD.
But if we consider the fact that you could recruit all the monsters,without taking over any star,and you could recruit both Valeria and Kasumi,then we'll have 2 free stars left,Tenman and Tentai. One would be for Tomo of course,and the other will be empty....so i came with the fact that Rowd is the most suitable character to be a star.

Why?

- Your main rival in the game is Jowy in fact,not Luca. Rowd leaves from Highland even before Jowy becomes a king,and from the game generally.
- Rowd still disliked Jowy,even when they were in the same side.
- He may act like a jerk during the game,but his true motive was to cure his blind sister. If we considered the fact that he has collected the money he wanted,and cured his sister,then why he couldn't be recruitable,so he could repay Riou for what he did to him.
- When he captures you in Kyaro,he says to you that he wants to forgive him for what he is doing...that means he understands what he is doing is wrong,but he would sacrifice everything to fulfil his purpose

According to these facts,then why he shouldn't be recruitable?
Nikisaur

Re: Rowd must be a SoD?

Post by Nikisaur »

Okay, new topic, good idea! I'll sum up my anti-Rowd argument here as well. Actually in the other thread I got Rowd mixed up with Jowy's dad in the whole 'disappearing when he became king' dealie. And forgot about the blind sister. But:

We've had many generals who have ended up switching sides, but none of them would stoop so low as to massacre children for money. While it's true he was trying to cure his blind sister, the fact that his sister's sight is worth more than the lives of the entire Unicorn Brigade speaks volumes. Also, even though Riou and Jowy were his two most promising recruits, and he could have let them escape, he didn't. He made sure they were to be executed. He was covering his tracks, yeah, but having no loyalty or feeling to offer them a chance to escape. He also imprisoned Nanami (and Mukumuku! Unforgivable!). I don't think one "forgive me" is enough.

Now, why shouldn't he be forgiven and become a Star of Destiny?

Generals (or 'baddies') who have switched sides in Suikoden so far include Kiba, Sonya (and the other Toran generals) you get are fighting for loyalty. Once you learn the truth about them (black runes etc) they want to fight with you to end the corruption. Kiba was loyal to Agares, and Luca sent them to Riou to die. Basically, they can fight with Riou to liberate their nation from his tyranny. Sonya hated Tir for killing her love, Teo, but forgave him when she realised Tir was really in the right, and that the Empire was the problem. Rowd has no such loyalty to Highland as a country (he slaughtered their youth), and I don't see him risking his life to fight against them either. Even if it was to make up for what he did to Riou, I don't see him as the honourable kind of man who would front up with that offer. And even if he did, it'd be one he would make to Jowy, not Riou, and I don't see either of them trusting him.

But that's just my opinion! Ohhh I love a good rant >.<
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

I've gotta side with Nikisaur on this. Rowd's ultimate goal may have been to help his sister, but that doesn't excuse the horrible things he did.

Here's an interesting angle, What do you think his sister would think of his actions? Did she know of his involvement in the Unicorn Brigade massacre? Would she approve of such things just to regain her sight? I doubt it.
PSN: FreshMetal80
Aerolithe Lion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

I think it should be Jowy. He was trying to help the system, and ultimately stepped aside when you overcame him, much like Albert.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Aerolithe Lion wrote:I think it should be Jowy. He was trying to help the system, and ultimately stepped aside when you overcame him, much like Albert.

Yes,but Jowy supposed to be your main antagonist,just because he had the other half of the Rune of the Begining...and if you recruit him then what??? Who could be your main antagonist?

Culgan and Seed were loyal to Jowy,so if Jowy joined your side,then they'll do the same.

Lucia and Leon would do the same,but it wouldn't be possible,because their stars of destiny,are already occupied by someone ese (Pesmerga and Klaus respectively).

Han being your main antagonist doesn't make any sense too. He appears once in the end of the game...so how could he be the main antagonist out of the blue?

So we have only Yuber left...but Yuber dissapears just a little before his side losts,so it would be impossible to be the "final boss"

Then who could be the main antagonist if Jowy joined your side,in your opinion? :?
Aerolithe Lion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

No, like Albert. A SoD but doesn't join you. Like Luc, if you will. He impacts the flow of destiny without actually being a part of your army.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Aerolithe Lion wrote:No, like Albert. A SoD but doesn't join you. Like Luc, if you will. He impacts the flow of destiny without actually being a part of your army.

I agree with that...after all Jowy's role matches with Tenman's and Tentai's (Tenkai's friends before Tenkai becomes a leader)....but in that case we should have a seperate storyline from Jowy's point of view,as an extra,just like in S3.
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

Sasarai10 wrote:
Aerolithe Lion wrote:No, like Albert. A SoD but doesn't join you. Like Luc, if you will. He impacts the flow of destiny without actually being a part of your army.

I agree with that...after all Jowy's role matches with Tenman's and Tentai's (Tenkai's friends before Tenkai becomes a leader)....but in that case we should have a seperate storyline from Jowy's point of view,as an extra,just like in S3.
Jowy should just have his own game/story since he's kind of an "anti-tenkai" star with his own set of SoD. Not sure if Rowd would be one of his recruits. Maybe his traitor like Sanchez(S1) or Sialeeds(S5).
PSN: FreshMetal80
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

freshmetal wrote: Jowy should just have his own game/story since he's kind of an "anti-tenkai" star with his own set of SoD. Not sure if Rowd would be one of his recruits. Maybe his traitor like Sanchez(S1) or Sialeeds(S5).

Yes of course!!! I have already stated that many times,that Konami should release a S2 but this time from Jowy's point of view with another set of SoD. I don't know why it hasn't happened yet,since it would be succesful without a doubt. Many fans loved S2,and most of us would like another S2 from Jowy's side this time.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Moved this to character questions as it's really more about Rowd than Suikoden II's gameplay.
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

I wouldn't compare any friendships/antagonists stuff to Suikoden 3. Simply because that game was weird when it came down to SoDs - the entire cast of baddies were on your side? Yuber even! That game is a little fishy when it comes to loyalties and such in my opinion.

I doubt Rowd's sister would approve, but then again, we've never met her. For all we know she could be in on the whole thing >:O

As Jowy's SoD, he wouldn't necessarily have to be a traitor either. Remember that Jowy is on the losing side (unless we're having an alternate reality where Highland wins), SoDs are bound to die and leave the army over the course of the game. Now I'm really into Jowy having his own Tablet of Stars and such, as his SoDs would include Jillia, Lucia, Kage, Seed, Culgan, Leon, Yuber, Pilika, Sasarai... omg what if Windy was advising him?? Or Leknaat was playing both sides? Don't give me fanfic ideas, guys >.<
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I doubt Rowd's sister would approve, but then again, we've never met her.
I recall that you can meet her in Kyaro at some point? But totally not sure.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

There's a blind girl in one of the houses just before you move from the main town to the road that leads to the prison or military base. I think it's strongly implied that she's Rowd's sister, but nobody explicitly says so, unless it was stated outside the game.
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Really? Omg. What does she say? Is she the one like "my brother won't come play with me" or something? Still. I meant we don't get to know her.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

The first time you talk to her:
"Big brother...is that you?
Huh...It`s not???
Oh...it you, {Hero}.
{Hero}, listen to this...
About my eyes...
When my big brother gets rich,
he said he`ll take me to a famous