Yuber's Delusion

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Sylo

Yuber's Delusion

Post by Sylo »

So Im assuming Yuber is either completely naive about what the Shield Rune actually represents or he is just completely delusional immediately after his shameful defeat....

Any opinions on this? Maybe it was just a script error?

"You will never be strong if you consider yourself weak" - Cleo, Suikoden
Aerolithe Lion

Re: Yuber's Delusion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

No, he recognizes the rune. It hasn't been revealed to be his position to know the workings of every true rune, but he can sense that Riou has one, or at least something that 'smells' like one.
Sylo

Post by Sylo »

I understand, but he says "bearer of a True Rune" The Bright Shield Rune isnt a whole True Rune....
Aerolithe Lion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

Yes, but it stills represents one.

The True rune of beginning has 2 bearers in this instance, Yuber ran into one of them. Dont think its a script error
Last edited by Aerolithe Lion on Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sylo

Post by Sylo »

But its NOT the Rune of Beginning. He owns the Bright Shield Rune. Therefore Yuber's comment is somewhat ambiguous.

It could very well be a script error, who are you to state adamantly that it is not?

Crikey, I thought these boards would be somewhat positive!
Aerolithe Lion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

Because the Original Japanese text is a similar expression, it's a reasonable translation. What do you define as a 'script error?'
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Doesn't the menu-description of the Bright Shield Rune say "One of the 27 True Runes", too? Well, maybe they didn't really think about it when they made the game, but after that fans asked them and they had to clear things up.

Well, that's at least my guess. Maybe the Japanese was really different and the translators just didn't think about this.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Sylo wrote:But its NOT the Rune of Beginning. He owns the Bright Shield Rune. Therefore Yuber's comment is somewhat ambiguous.

It could very well be a script error, who are you to state adamantly that it is not?

Crikey, I thought these boards would be somewhat positive!
Well, these games have been pretty thoroughly combed over, so if you come up with an idea that isn't just a rehash, it's pretty much going to fall into either the, "Brilliant! Why Didn't I Think of That!" category, or the, "You're Just Grasping at Straws" category. Picking up on that little discrepancy shows you're paying attention, but turning it into something is probably grasping at straws. Even if the people writing and reviewing the dialogue were aware of the Bright Shield Rune's actual value, I wouldn't expect Yuber to say, "Bearer of a component of one of the 27 True Runes that holds a power greater than mundane Runes, so I'm totally not a wuss", or anything as precise as that in this situation.
Sylo

Post by Sylo »

All I did was pick out something that other people might not have been aware of, a simple observation. I didnt mean to cause a debate :P

I dont believe Im grasping at straws as I dont mean to turn it into anything bigger.

I just love noticing the little things and wondering how they are to be. Suikoden fascinates me, so I could be a little biased in my attention to detail :)

I meant human error in terms of writing the script, but then as a character I would expect Yuber to be so pedantic about the runes description. Just a fun observation in order to encourage discussion and make this board a little more active :D
Aerolithe Lion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

It's just semantics. Yuber acknowledges it being connected to a true rune, and like Pyriel said, he doesn't need to get all politically correct about it. Riou knew what he was talking about. If you think it's incorrect, it's debatable.

But maybe you meant to discuss it? This is actually just a forum for asking questions you don't know about. That's what I was answering. There's a completely different thread, 'Character Theories', about discussing and debating specific things like this. Was that your intention?
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Maybe because it's just one line, and isn't enough to constitute a theory, but is enough to pose a character question?

I think Antimatzist is right on this one. Suikoden isn't always 100% clear when it deals with specifics. And on top of that the translation isn't the greatest in places. I think Yuber recognises that the Bright Shield is, more or less a True Rune, even if not a whole one. Suikoden 2 is only the second game, and still fleshing out the idea of rune components and such, so they probably weren't being 100% on every single aspect of the script.

Though I don't think there's much here, I wouldn't discourage Sylo for thinking critically about things like this. After all, what else is this board for while we wait for Suikoden VI?
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Well, it's less a character question, and more a query about the hidden meaning of this one, particular line. Nobody's discouraging him, though. He just seemed to be making a positive claim in the title and later reiterated his conclusion in the post, and people explained why it was a bit of a reach. Everybody's kind of run over the same territory, simply saying that there isn't enough to that scene to dissect. If it was voice-acted, and Yuber was standing there with birds chirping around his head, or alternately calling Riou by his name and "mommy", there might be some reason to look deeper.
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Not saying anyone is, it's just looking like it could be heading that way. I'm only trying to look out for new members, as this forum can often be a little harsh to post ideas in.
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
Sylo

Post by Sylo »

Yikes...the thread title was just a little creative. I never actually meant he is completely delusional (although maybe he is in other senses!) I was never 'claiming' anything and I didnt reiterate anything, as I believe some people took my claim out of context.

I do apologise if I put this in the wrong sub forum, I am aware that these problems are frequent with people who are new to forums (Im an experienced forum goer and I still have trouble deciding where a thread should go)

Ive said all I wanted to say anyway. I think we are steering away from the main point here, and that is our love for an amazing series and the wish to explore and notice all the little things :)
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

You titled the thread "Yuber's Delusion", and then said you assume he's either naive or delusional in the post. That's reiteration (of the delusional part), and there was precious little context to take your statements out of. We can chalk this up to a misunderstanding, since you've elaborated and explained what you were after since, but I don't think people were coming out of left field with their responses.