best father figure?

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Nikisaur

Re: best father figure?

Post by Nikisaur »

I just don't see Viktor as a father kind of guy I guess.

I have issues with the Jowy and Pilika thing too. Pilika spends like 90% of the war with riou and Nanami anyway. She's with Jowy a very short time before L'Renouille is seized, then she is sent off to HArmonia with Jillia and Jowy goes off somewhere else. While they may have bonded initially, I think Pilika's attachment to him is a result of him being made a hero in her head, more so than anything he actually does after he betrays Riou. Just my opinion.
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Doesn't she also call him big brother Jowy or something along those lines?
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

I think she referred to him as both big brother and uncle.
Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 - Break the ICE
Belle

Post by Belle »

I think Pilika also bonded with Jowy when he was recovering in her house. He was the one who comforted her when Toto was attacked, and it seemed they were fairly close, at least until about midway through the Muse event.
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Oh yeah, that's what I mean by they bonded initially. But I think her memories of that time were probably more dominated by her encounter with Luca and the death of her real parents.

Sorry if I'm seeming negative. I just have a kind of beef with the Jowy and Pilika thing. I feel like overall Riou and Nanami did more for her. And I hated how it seemed like Pilika would just mysteriously know when Jowy was around, like in Greenhill. It was weird.
AlOnZo

Post by AlOnZo »

Agares Blight has to be in there with a shout surly...
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

I think part of the reason for that Nikisaur, maybe because Suikoden 2 doesn't do as good a job revealing the antagonist's viewpoint as some of the other suikoden games do. You don't get to see a lot of Jowy's thought processes or experiences, so it's hard to make a really good judgment of what they are.

on the other hand, I'm not prepared to really make a strong case for Jowy being the best candidate for a fatherly character in the series, I just think a case can be made that he possessed fatherly qualities with relation to Pilika.
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Well, yeah. I've taken that into account. I've never said they weren't close at one point or another. I just think their bond is kinda over-hyped. Both by the fans and the game itself.

Kind of off topic a little but...I kinda wish Pilika had gotten her voice back sooner. I know it made for an emotional moment when she was reunited with Jowy in Muse, but... for most of the game she was a nothing character. She lost every bit of the personality she had at the beginning, and instead became kind of annoying to me. I felt for that kid, really. But whenever there was an event it's like Oh, and it's important to note that Pilika says nothing. And I hated how she seemed to magically know when Jowy was about to show up. Ngh.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I'm resurrecting this thread.

Lino En Kuldes is an awesome father figure. He gives you a bloody great big warship and lets you roam the islands bossing people around in his name, and he raised his daughter to be a badass as well. The only downside is that the hottest bloke in the island nations turns out to be your dad.

I thought Logg was an awesome dad as well, his daughter was just too much of a whiny bitch to appreciate his awesomeness. But he was gutsy, resourceful, and a lot of fun to be around.

Colton was quite a good father figure. He remained loyal and trustworthy to Sir Troy, even though he didn't always agree with his feelings, and he didn't condemn his own son for aiding the rebels, and said "In order to thrive, you must survive." It's a shame we didn't get to see Colton and Helmut returning in Tactics, I would like to see them fighting alongside eachother.

Agares Blight was despised by his own son, but I think he was a gentle soul. He cared for Jillia, even though she was conceived from a horrible incident, she still loved him as a father. He was also respected by Kiba and Klaus. Like Freed Y says: "Kindness has become a sin in this world."
Shasarazawoowoo

Post by Shasarazawoowoo »

sticky-runes wrote:I'm resurrecting this thread.

Lino En Kuldes is an awesome father figure. He gives you a bloody great big warship and lets you roam the islands bossing people around in his name, and he raised his daughter to be a badass as well. The only downside is that the hottest bloke in the island nations turns out to be your dad.

I thought Logg was an awesome dad as well, his daughter was just too much of a whiny bitch to appreciate his awesomeness. But he was gutsy, resourceful, and a lot of fun to be around.

Colton was quite a good father figure. He remained loyal and trustworthy to Sir Troy, even though he didn't always agree with his feelings, and he didn't condemn his own son for aiding the rebels, and said "In order to thrive, you must survive." It's a shame we didn't get to see Colton and Helmut returning in Tactics, I would like to see them fighting alongside eachother.

Agares Blight was despised by his own son, but I think he was a gentle soul. He cared for Jillia, even though she was conceived from a horrible incident, she still loved him as a father. He was also respected by Kiba and Klaus. Like Freed Y says: "Kindness has become a sin in this world."
A little more resurrection, because I'll have to disagree with Agares. I mean, yes, he loved Jillia as his own child. But he also abandoned his wife and son when they were set upon by bandits, ran like a coward and hid while his wife was defiled before his son's eyes. He did nothing to protect them. Sure, he feels remorse for it, I'm sure. I hope he did. At the very least, we know Jillia felt some affection for him. But leaving your spouse and child to be attacked and dishonored that way puts him in "disgusting coward" territory for me. In a way, he's indirectly responsible for Luca growing up to be as unhinged and bloodthirsty as he turned out.

Ferid, though, is a great father. He cares deeply for his entire family - and he extends this love to his knights. He loves his wife unconditionally, even though he knows she's a major danger to herself and the Queendom with the Rune. And, of course, he treats Lym and the Prince like his children, and wants them to grow up responsible, but level-headed and true to their own selves. (Arshtat, for what it's worth, was also a great parent - when the Sun Rune wasn't driving her to have episodes of megalomania.)

I dunno, Ferid and Arshtat had one of the most heartbreaking death scenes in the series, to me. I really loved them as characters. This extends to their parenting skills - Lym, Prince, and Lyon (essentially Ferid's adopted daughter, as far as I saw) grew up right, and I think Lym's strength in the face of all she went through has to be partly credited to being raised by strong people.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Of course Agares should have defended his wife and child. He was squeamish and cowardly when it came to violence, even if his family was in the thick of it, and that certainly doesn't inspire much. Kiba seemed saddened by his loss, I don't know if that was just a soldier's ingrained loyalty or something, or if he genuinely respected Agares. Maybe he just found a peaceable ruler preferable to a psychotic one.
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

I agree that Ferid and Arshtat seemed like awesome parents, with just the right mix of love & affection, and morals & expectations from their children. Its a wonder that Arshtat came out as well as she seemed, because you didn't get to see much of her personality between bouts of Maniacal Domination, considering she had Falzrahm as a mother!! But of all the guy I know, I think the Award for Best Father Figure should go to..........(*drum roll*)......................

Admiral Skald Egan!!
Bernadette is a fairly pretty looking girl, with a level head on her shoulders. And Ferid (if we are all agreed that he is also Ferid's dad) turned out a level headed, kick ass, down-to-earth kinda guy, like his dad! Both with a good sense of humour and a cheery disposition. He definitely gets my best dad award. And even though its the first time he meets the Prince as a young adult, he gives him a warm welcome and seems like he would be a great granddad as well. Skald just seems like such a laid back kinda guy, that'd be happy to teach you a few ways of the world, and maybe even slip you a cheeky beer during a celebration even if you weren't old enough. That's the impression I get anyway. It would've been nice to have had a few more scenes with him in. Either with the Prince or Bernadette or both!
Shasarazawoowoo

Post by Shasarazawoowoo »

True. I almost forgot Skald, because I forgot he was Ferid's dad (seeing as how Bernadette is said to be in a "similar situation to Sialeeds", and Skald resembling Ferid... yeah, it's essentially a given). Plus his ribbing of Bernie isn't mean-spirited or anything, it's just light-hearted, good-natured ribbing, I'm sure he would've done the same with Ferid (and Ferid would've probably joked back, while Bern seems like she might just need to come out of her shell and loosen up some. But then, it has been about half a year since I last touched the game, so I should go back and find out...)

And I think Haswar, Sialeeds, and Arshtat saw all the pain caused by their mothers fighting and probably took great measures to ensure they never let such a thing happen to them. They all seemed fairly close. I just wish we'd seen Haswar and Sialeeds interact a bit more with Arshtat, especially in a familial fashion, since we got to see the rest of the royal family interact in a familial way that really fleshed their relationships out in a human, relatable way.
Jocky

Post by Jocky »

Shasarazawoowoo wrote:And I think Haswar, Sialeeds, and Arshtat saw all the pain caused by their mothers fighting and probably took great measures to ensure they never let such a thing happen to them.
I totally agree. The rivalry their mothers had for each other to ensure that their own child ascended to the throne led to some terrible tragedies in the Falenas Royal Family. With the use of the Nethergate assassins to end the lives of partners, siblings and extraneous family members alike it left very little of any sort of family left. So I'm sure Sialeeds, Arshtat and Haswar went to great lengths to make sure something like that never happened again and also to keep what little family that was still alive as close as possible. I also would have liked to have seen all 3 of them come together. I'm sure that they would have been as close as any sisters could be which would have been nice to see.
I've also just remembered another person that could be put up for the Great Father Award. Freed Yamamoto was a kind, caring, dutiful and honorable member of the SII Hero's Army. Freed and Yoshino's daughter Sanae appeared in SIII and ended up fighting in the Second Fire Bringer War. She was every bit her parents child, having the best qualities of both, strong and independant, yet caring and dutiful which tells me that Freed and Yoshino must have made great parents.
darkknightkv

Post by darkknightkv »

I also think that Retso deserves at least a mention here. I mean he HAD to have raised her right for her to do what she did. Even if he was in part, the reason for her demise, he at least tried to avenge her.

No, I dont think he is the BEST father, but something to toss in there. Though the suikoden games you usually have a father/child team and the father dies while the child becomes one of the stars that joins you. This was a bit of a different twist, it just seems very rare in the suikoden universe for the child to die and the father live.

You know something, forget everything I said....I am voting for Lowma....Yes, Thomas's father from suikoden 3 is what all fathers should be.