Lorelai with a change of view

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Punkaiser

Lorelai with a change of view

Post by Punkaiser »

During my S5 playthrough this time, i notice she always refer to the prince as a child although she's not much older than him, well, it's not uncommon thing that women feel older around younger guys. But 7 years later, when she meet Tir who is as young as the prince in the past, how could she fall in love with him???
suikoden wikia:
Before the Gate Rune Wars, Lorelai came to the Scarlet Moon Empire in search of Sindar Ruins. She met Tir in Kouan and fell in love with him when she could tell he was a stronger fighter than she. She remained throughout the war, but found no Sindar ruins to speak of.
FoggyNotion

Re: Lorelai with a change of view

Post by FoggyNotion »

That's interesting that they use the words "fell in love," because I never caught on to that at all in the game, I don't remember that even being hinted at. From what I can remember, until you're level 25 or whatever the magic number is she'll say "I don't travel with weaklings" (something like that). But once you reach the magic number she'll decide you're strong enough for her standards and join up. Either way, she didn't seem enamored or to be conceding that Tir was stronger than her, only that they were on equal terms. I just wonder where they're getting the information that Lorelai had romantic feelings for Tir, if there's some piece of source material that we haven't seen.

Then again, maybe I just didn't pick up on it. Honestly, I didn't even pick up on the fact that Kasumi had a thing for Tir the first time around. And theoretically, that was supposed to be blatantly obvious.
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

I looked at her bio again, and found something weird. She was born in sy433, same as the prince. That means she was only 16 during S5 event, but her character impression seems much older in both physic and mentality aspect, then she treats that same age prince as a child? things just don't add up here.
FoggyNotion

Post by FoggyNotion »

You're right that something doesn't seem to quite add up here. I looked at her Wikia page again, and noticed that it says, "In Suikoden V, Lorelai's interest in Viki is a reference to their amusing encounter in the side story Genso Suikogaiden Vol. 2." Apparently what happened there is that Nash was traveling with Viki and Viki was basically zapping them all over the place, through different locations and time periods. At one point, they ended up in the past at a Sindar ruin site with Lorelai & Killey. This is referenced a few times in Suikoden 5, one of the investigations on Lorelai says:

"On one of her "expeditions," she wound up trapped in the Deep Twilight Forest´s ruins... with Killey. She won´t say how they got out, but I heard her mumble something about Viki. But Viki... well, Viki sounds clueless about it."

Then Lorelai herself says about this:

"There's a fake rumor going around that I've been bullying Viki. It's totally not true. She's the one that opened that hole in the forest ruins' ceiling and let me out. I just wanted to know why she keeps denying it, that's all."

This is just speculation, but I can't help but wonder if because of Viki, Lorelai was somehow able to travel through time as well, and that maybe Viki denying ever knowing about the incident has less to do with her just being forgetful than her not wanting to admit something. There definitely seem to be some missing pieces here, and maybe her character history would be further explored in a future Suikoden game. But it is odd that despite appearing from the time of Suikoden 5 to the time of Suikoden 2, which is roughly a span of about 10 - 15 years, that she doesn't really seem to age physically or mentally, she always seems to be somewhere in her mid-late 20s. I keep thinking of the movie A Beautiful Mind, "Marcy can't be real, she never gets old!"
Belle

Post by Belle »

Welcome to Suikopedia, the encyclopedia about Suikoden that anyone can edit.
the encyclopedia about Suikoden that anyone can edit.
anyone can edit.
No.

If Lorelai fell in love with anything, it was probably the Sindar treasure hanging out of Killey's pants.
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

Yeah, i know that Bell. But investigations are real text in games and another certain thing is her age throughout the series. Richmond's investigation claims that Lorelai is 28 during S2 event. So she was 24-25 during S1(3 years earlier) and was 16-17 during S5(another 8 years earlier), i don't have any doubt that her birth was in sy433 anymore, but now my concern is about her character design show us a mature woman while 16 years old Lyon and even 22 years old Miakis don't seem to be that OLD.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Wait.. You thought she looked like a mature woman in Suikoden V? I sure didn't..
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

Really? She did look 16 to you? I always take her as old as Lelei due to impression i had, hmm look at that full bloom tall body. And i repeat the point that she always treated the prince as a little child in a very natural way, but it's not like she had a superiority complex i guess.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Well, the way her portrait was made was the typical anime-ish way to depict someone as a younger person, or not as well traveled as others. Compare her eyes to those of let's say... Lelei. I go by a rule of thumb, the smaller the eyes, the older the person. It totally works, just check out Sairoh!
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

Sairoh lol

Lyon looks like she just hit puberty and Miakis doesn't look old enough to buy cigarettes. Compared to those two, Lorelai looks about right.
Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 - Break the ICE
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

Sairoh lolx2
that anime thing sounds funny, but as i recall Shinro the grandson has the most slanted eyes and he was only 18. Back to Lelei , im pretty sure there were several times she was shown with really big naive eyes, then her colleague Cius got his eyes huge openned all the time, so i think the art is there to describe personality but not age, big eyes=innocence+airhead.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

Keep in mind Lorelai has always been a pretty rugged, independent woman, so if she seems more mature than other people her age, it's probably because she is. Then again, she displays aspects of her youth when she deals with Killey or Zweig, both of whom treat her like an annoying kid they can't seem to get rid of. And yes, the eyes are totally a hint that she's younger in 5 than in 2 as they are substantially bigger in 5.
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

I think eldrasidar nailed it. As for her romantic connection to Tir, I never got that impression. If she had a relationship with any character, I would think it was Kirke from Suikoden 1. He was the executioner in S1 that gave her the scythe that she uses in S2. It was never said WHY he gave his weapon to her though.
PSN: FreshMetal80
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Killey looks a little older too. He was only 18-19 in S5

On the other hand Zweig looks about a decade younger,and he was 40 then.
Piisuke

Post by Piisuke »

I don't understand where the 'love' comes from either. The thing that annoyed me was that you needed to be lvl x for her to join, but when she joined, she was at a lower lvl...

Besides, wasn't Kasumi supposedly the one in love with Tir?