108 Stars of Destiny best and worst?

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
gilgamesh31
Banned User

108 Stars of Destiny best and worst?

Post by gilgamesh31 »

Which set of 108 stars of destiny, from Suikoden I-V+Tierkreis, is the best and the worst and why? This can be because you think they're the best collection of character designs, because they have the most likable or interesting personalities, because it has the best balance of characters, because it had the most charcacters relevant to the actual game or simply because it has the most characters that you think look cool etc.

Im including Tierkreis because i liked the characters from that game and could see some of them existing in the original suikoworld. Anyways im just interested to hear which sets the people of suikosource prefer and which they dont?
If it's not found out, a lie becomes the truth.
Nikisaur

Re: 108 Stars of Destiny best and worst?

Post by Nikisaur »

I think 4 was the worst. Like having 5 Mermaids to run one shop and no use in battle - what the hell... There also seemed to be a lot of characters that just joined you for no real reason. They had the tiniest hint of a backstory then BAM, nothing. Also pairs of people to run a shop or whatever kind of annoys me and Interior Design? Wtf?

And they used the same sword and attack animation for about 50% of the playable characters...
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

I would guess that this topic is basically going to trend toward 4 as the worse occasionally mixed with tierkries if people are even counting it, and 2 as the best with 5 occasionally showing up on top. That's how every comparison of the games goes on this site.

that said I'd say 3 has the best overall cast of stars. 2 and 5 have individual stars I like more, but I know more of the suikoden 3 stars better, because you have much more interaction with the vast majority of them. being able to cast them in plays really helps bring out some of the less important characters as well.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Nikisaur wrote:Also pairs of people to run a shop or whatever kind of annoys me and Interior Design? Wtf?
Hm I think Suikoden IV had the widest array of new castle-services. The itnerior design is actually nothing more than a bath, where you will meet characters whot alk to each other. It had a training hall, the mushroom/mint-mini-game (which was only cool for the Suikoden I battle system), a tailor (which I thought was useless. or better said: I never used him.) and... many more, I am sure. But most of the characters were really bland, they joined you, said nothing of importance, became fisher and maybe returned in Tactics.

To me, Suikoden I characters are the same. There are some interesting characters, but the not-so-main-characters don't get enough attention. Only if they returned in later installments, they'd become a favourite of mine.

Suikoden II, III and V had nicely developed characters. Some characters in III were.. strange imo, but that's kinda funny. I think these 3 are my favourites.

Tierkreis is the worst, since they cut most of the extra castle services (bath? comment box? detectives? minigames?) and all excluding 2 characters are usable in battle (eitehr as support or in battle). And they all have the same animations, depending on their weapon. Urgh. Even though some characters had potential, they never really use it.
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

The mermaids where the biggest wast of space ever in Suikoden history and the lame couples that run the shop sucked balls. Theres way too many throw-away characters in that game, i could never figured out how to work that mushroom/mint thing, whats the Suikoden I style mini game?

I like it in V and Tierkreis how you can put nearly everyone in your party even if they are just as support. V obviously does it better, what with being able to bring along ten people and all. I think that Tierkreis has better character designs then IV in general (Kika, Helmut, Trishtan and Ameria all had good designs) but i agree that the lack of castle services in Tierkreis weakens them considerable along with no returning characters, they could at least of given us Viki or something...anything!

I would haved loved a detective in the first game, so many cool characters that we hardly get any information on like Fuma, Fu Su Lu, Rubi, Sonya etc. I was pleasantly suprised by the 108 stars in Suikoden V but i prefer III's, it has a lot of variety with all the clans and different races brilliant.

I have to say though that II's set of stars is my favorite, not just because about a third of them are returning characters from the first game either. Alot of the new characters are really interesting like Bob, Genshu, Oulan, Wakaba, Mondo and Sasuke etc. Having all these people from (at that time) unvisited countries made the game seem so much bigger then it actually was because it gave the suikoworld had so much depth and intrigue.
Dark Celcius

Post by Dark Celcius »

Suikoden 4's SODs were the most boring to me. I felt like the ones that overlapped with Suikoden Tactics got more personality in Tactics than in 4. And I hated the mermaids and the fungi dudes. Also Lazlo's childhood group of friends weren't that fun, unlike in Tierkreis, which is one of the reasons why I rate Tierkreis' SODs higher than 4.

I agree with eldrasider that Suikoden 3's SODs were the most interesting to me for the same reasons. Even though a certain 4 that never join your party are SODs... I think with the Trinity system, Konami definitely tried to show much more of important storyline characters (though it sacrifices everyone together at the castle time and true intermingling between the groups).
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

Tactics gave the returning characters from IV some much needed depth i agree, along with some better character portraits. It would have been nice to of had Simeon in the fourth game as he is one of the few characters from that time period that i actually find intriguing.

If im judging purely on character design then i would have to agree that Suikoden III has the best and i do like how the game forces you to use alot of them, but the reason i say that i prefer II as a whole is because of that fact that you mentioned. Its weird that the destroyers are included in the 108 SOD, it just doesnt feel right. It goes against the formular of collecting the SOD in one place to battle the enemy and kill the boss, like all the other games did. It happens after the boss fight and where was Leknaat the night before the final battle to encourage everyone?

Why wasnt Barbarossa or Jowy classed as SOD if the bad guys now count? And doesnt gathering all 108 do something magical like help ressurect people (Gremio,Lyon), greatly heal people who are dying (Jowy) or unlock a True runes potential (Riou, Lazlo). In III you get the destroyers point of view for all your hard work collecting your 104 SOD, wow! and Lucs soul gets saved, who cares? It just bugs me for some reason, it doesnt seem right. is it just me?
DoReMi_Vampire

Post by DoReMi_Vampire »

gilgamesh31 wrote:And doesnt gathering all 108 do something magical like help ressurect people (Gremio,Lyon), greatly heal people who are dying (Jowy) or unlock a True runes potential (Riou, Lazlo). In III you get the destroyers point of view for all your hard work collecting your 104 SOD, wow! and Lucs soul gets saved, who cares? It just bugs me for some reason, it doesnt seem right. is it just me?
I don't think the 108 SoD are magical in the sense that they simply make any wish come true by breaking the rules set in the Suikoverse.
The actual power of the 108 has as of yet not really been specified as far as I know. My personal theory is that, when gathered, they have the specific power to manipulate the power and will of the 27 True Runes, like you said in Riou and Lazlo's case.
In SI, it wasn't really the 108 that ressurected Gremio, rather they were the key to causing the Soul Eater to use it's own power to bring back Gremio after his soul was imprisoned inside it.
And in SV, (I havn't played it yet so correct me if I'm wrong) wasn't Lyon brought back to life because the 108 made the Sun Rune use it's power to nurture life?

Back on topic, it seems to me that SII and SIII are the ones with the most well developed and most amount of characters that were either returning or somehow connected to already existing characters.
SI was the one that set the standard and also feels like the most standard set of SoDs IMO, but it also had many characters I wished could've gotten more development. Prime example: Kirke - "Hi, I'm an exocutioner but I decided to become a farmer, The End". WTF?
- I've got a warrior's sword with your name on it.

- Of Course I Know Chinchirorin!
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Dark Celcius wrote: In III you get the destroyers point of view for all your hard work collecting your 104 SOD, wow!
Not really. I was disappointed with 3 in the sense that I realised that I had collected all the stars of Destiny in the first playthrough with no real trouble. And yeah, the idea of having Yuber in there was a bit wtf.
They could have filled those up with say... a castle game thing, Pesmerga standing randomly at the end of a long dungeon (for continuity's sake :p), a cute kobold or another winger, and like...Yun (was that her name?) I would have thought the 108 stars would bring Yun back, which would have been much more emotional for me.

In saying that I thought that 3 was great for character design and the way you are encouraged to use them all.
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

That was another thing that i didnt like so much, why was Jimba and Yun classed as SOD and Sana wasnt? Thats another two stars you never actually recruit so you only get 102 SOD now, brilliant! Why wasnt Ted and Odessa SOD or Annabelle or Sialeeds, they died but played keyroles in their stories. Maybe this is part why that dude left during the making of III...
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Oh oops,Yun was a SoD? Well that enforces my point I guess. I think they should have revived her.
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

Yeah she should have come back. I dont know how good she would be in battle, maybe they could of made her a powerfull mage character. Replace Jimba‘s star with Sana, i would have loved for Pesmerga to have of made an apperance i wonder if he would still be wearing his armor if Yuber isnt...

Then just add three more characters: another kobold would have been nice as you say, another duck and i dunno Bob or Beastmaster from II as they were supposed to be from the Grassland and III would have won hands down.
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

The lack of Pesmerga in 3 is such a mystery to me. He's a pretty average tracker of Yuber, ending up in the right country is about all we could hope for. He's probably still sniffing around Dunan.
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

:lol: I have a feeling that Yuber had dispatched him by the time of III. Which ever konami staff member ever said the final story ends with them two fighting was probably joking or they axed the idea. Wasnt Pesmerga not even going to be in II at one stage and Lucia was going to replace his star?
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Well. I doubt Yuber would have dispatched of Pesmerga. Whenever Pesmerga comes nearby Yuber bails, so it seems he's afraid of him. But seeing as Yuber changed his looks in Suikoden III, it would probably make Pesmerga's job harder. Then, as someone else said, he's not that good of a tracker anyway. Standing in a Castle that's empty, with the hope that someone would pop by sometime. Then at Cave of the Wind for.... God knows why.

Lucia was going to be a star yeah, but it didn't fit with the story As far as I know, so they took back Pesmerga.