108 Stars of Destiny best and worst?

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Re: 108 Stars of Destiny best and worst?

Post by gilgamesh31 »

Maybe Pesmerga did change himself into Kogoro after all. I read that Konami changed Yubers looks so that the player wouldnt reconize him instantly, sounds like a bit of a weak reason to me.

Recruiting Lucia would have made for a better story, and a stronger link to the third game even though i think Pesmerga's the man. But it makes you wonder, if Pesmerga was that removable then he maybe he can't be that important to the over all story like one of the creators said he was...
If it's not found out, a lie becomes the truth.
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Nah, I liked the fact that Lucia wasn't a star. You'd only get her towards the end anyway. I thought it was important for her personal story that she couldn't get over her anger towards Teresa/the City States. Although she would have been sweet to use in battle.

Part of the reason I love Suikoden 2 so much is that the enemy cast is realistic and interesting.
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

I wouldn't call Luca realistic seeing his strength and everything but I would call him interesting.

I think Pesmerga not being in Suikoden III kind of serves a good purpose. They don't have to be in the same game all the time. You can't use the same ingredients all the time. Variety is key. Sure, we have Leknaat, Viki and Jeane as returning things, but that is quite enough.

It makes me wonder though, and I guess that's what they wanted: Where is Pesmerga? Why isn't he in this game when Yuber is? They probably have a reason for not including him.
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Well I discounted Luca in my head! :lol: I meant the Highland cast post-Luca. Luca is a great addition for his pure badassery.

I dunno. I know what you mean, they don't HAVE to be in the same game but they seem intrinsically linked and I thought Pessy at least deserved a mention, hint or something.
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Aye, I agree. He should have been mentioned. Or hinted at, just... Something. At least by Luc. Twice has Luc fought in the same army as him, now he's fighting with the very same person Pesmerga was/is hunting.
Dark Celcius

Post by Dark Celcius »

I've just gone to recheck what other characters had the stars Luc, Sarah, Albert and Yuber had.

Suikoden 1 to 5
Luc Luc Luc Ted Zerase
Kasim Hauser Yuber Izak Galleon
Leon Klaus Albert Tanya Cius
Crowley Mazus Sarah Warlock Levi

Besides Albert's position, they would have to replace the other 3 with pretty badass characters. Now I wish Konami had done so.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

idk about Pesmerga in suikoden 3 as it is. it would have been nice to mention him, but it seems like it would have to be forced. Many of the characters in Suikoden 3 that new either Yuber or Pesmerga may not have known about the other one, or known there was a connection between the two, and there are few enough characters that knew either of them prior to three. At most only Ace, Albert, Jeane(assuming it's the same Jeane), Luc, Lucia, Nash, Tuta and Viki knew of Yuber prior. Of them, only Ace, Jeane, Luc, Tuta and Viki ever met/was aware of Pesmerga as well. However, Ace, Tuta, Viki are unlikely to make the connection between the two, and Jeane is invariably too mysterious to tell you anything. Finally, Luc probably wouldn't want to get Yuber angry by mentioning him, since in general it's not a smart idea to tell a hunted man that you know the guy who's hunting him, particularly if that man cares little about killing you.

it would have been cool to see him in the game, although it would mean switching Lucia's star to something else, but there were plenty of unnecessary stars one could do without, and obviously, his appearance would be no more unusual than Edge's or Futch's. The problem with Pesmerga is that unlike Suikoden 1 and 2, where Yuber's brief roles as an antagonist provided him a lot more character development to work on in Suikoden 3, Pesmerga comes into both games very late, and is noticeably taciturn and mysterious, which is bad if you're one of 108 characters. Sure we all liked using him for his awesome combat abilities, but other than his combat abilities, his silence and his hunting after Yuber, we don't really know much about him, and indeed, we learned pretty much nothing more from his second appearance than we did from his first.

If he came into Suikoden 3 as he usually does though, he wouldn't show up until the end of chapter 5, and we'd still know almost nothing about him, which would be pretty disappointing. It would have been interesting I think, if you saw Pesmerga several times over the course of chps 1-3, and then he joined in chapter 4. Like he'd meet Geddoe after the Karaya village incident, perhaps again in the underground highway with Hugo, and like a third time after Lun is killed with Chris. In each place you'd get a cool cutscene, and then he'd wonder off again in search of Yuber, and then joins you in chapter 4 after you get the true fire rune. That'd be the way I'd have put him into Suikoden 3 at least. Of course, if he had shown up in Suikoden 3 he'd probably look like this though, based on his Suikoden 2 stats:

Ending level stats

PWR: 170-255
SKL: 150-248
MAG: 90-188
REP: 91-189
MDF: 150-248
SPD: 90-188
LUK: 90-188
HP: 493-689

Skills 2 fixed, 4 free
Special Skills: Heavy Damage: S, Parry: A
Swing: B
Accuracy: A
Damage: S
Repel: C
Armor Protect: S
Holy Dash: C
Fire: C
Water: C
Wind: C
Earth: C
Lightning: C
Magic Resistance: A
M-Sword: B

Two-Handed Sword
1 open right-hand rune slot
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

:cry: I really want to see Pesmerga as a 3D model in Suikoden III now that you've written all of this but i know that it will never happen (still crying) its not fair! They could of bumped Lucia onto Yuber's star and Pesmerga could have his old one back. I would slap a fury rune on that one free slot space so fast...damn destroyers stealing precious star spaces! Oh yeah Yun and Jimba are guilty of that crime too, how comes Lulu doesnt count as a star but these two do?
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

the obvious reason Lulu doesn't count as a star is that he dies before even a notion of bringing together disparate forces is put forward, indeed he dies in part because he is unable/unwilling to do so. Jimba and Yun both aim to unite peoples together, even though they die doing so. At least you can use Jimba as a party member, albeit very briefly. All you can do with Yun is put her in some plays. I'd say lose Mike or Kenji to bring in Pesmerga, cause I still think having the destroyers as stars is pretty awesome. It really takes the concept from suikoden 2 of having two polarizing forces coming together to the next level. Jowy, Seed, Culgan, and Leon essentially play the same roles as the destroyers in suikoden 3, and let's face it, it would have been just as cool to have played from Jowy's perspective for a bit as it was to see things from Luc's perspective in Suikoden 3. . Besides, Yuber's stats are ridiculous. It's simply fun to mess around with him briefly.

although it sad that there isn't anyway to fix suikoden 3 to have Pesmerga, it would be interesting to know if the designers had ever seriously considered bringing back Pesmerga in the design process.
Night Shadow

Post by Night Shadow »

well, at least we have the comfort of knowing that if future suikoden installments do come out, the whole yuber-pesmerga story will most likely be present. they cant leave us out in the dark with null knowledge on what happens next. im sure the two characters play a very important role in the franchise, and in due time, we might see some development.

a 3D pesmerga would be awesome, though im curious about how he would look like without that darn helmet of his.

pesmerga + fury rune = unbeatable.

i would LOVE to see a future suikoden pinning both yuber and pesmerga as stars of destiny you can choose from (like valeria and kasumi in suikoden 2)...wouldnt that be awesome? and it would cool if who you choose ends up changing the game slightly. wishful thinking. :D
‎"...Or else, it is the dream that haunts you. You wait with the promise of the next dream...when the act of waiting is dependent on remembering."
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

Yeah lose Kenji, i liked the mysterious connection to Watari and the Higheast Rebellion that Mike brang to the table, so he should stay. You can put Yun in plays really? when? It would have been awesome to play as Jowys perspective, its a shame that you cant, the closest we get is when Riou faints and you see Jowy's scenes, like when he takes on the mission to take Greenhill.

I bet if Pesmerga didnt have his helmet on in III that his portrait would be a side view or his hair would be covering his face or some other way to try and hide his full face. There would be no escape if he had a 3D model though...unless they gave him a hat, a facemask or something like that. I hope that they do include him and Yuber in a future Suikoden, if indeed the series does continue.
Night Shadow

Post by Night Shadow »

the higheast rebellion is something ive been DYING to see...ive actually been wanting a suikoden with that whole story arch as the main plot...imagine seeing viktor and flik back in action....and shu! damn that strategist dude is amazing. @_@ and it would be cool to see tuta and mio working together side to side for the first time...mio always seemed like a deeply sad character we had yet to really know about (her husband dying, etc)....so it seems quite possible that konami might let us see a higheast rebellion suikoden in the future...fingers crossed. =(

well, seeing that they made that pachinko suikoden game recently always gives me hope...
‎"...Or else, it is the dream that haunts you. You wait with the promise of the next dream...when the act of waiting is dependent on remembering."
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

That would be awesome if they did set a game around the Higheast rebellion, there would be so many returning characters and cameos to play with, most people from II but ten years older, Viktor and Flik might be getting some grey hair by then. How would Viktor be able to live with that Zodiac Sword all of that time without it driving him insane, unless they learn to get along. We could see Ayame, Watari and possible Mike on the opposite side. I just want to know what the hell kind of stunt Shu pulled off in Harmonia to end the conflict?
Night Shadow

Post by Night Shadow »

didnt he give the zodiac sword to edge just a bit before they went off to the higheast rebellion? thats what i remember at least. but oh man, that would be awesome...we need more bear insults.

yeah, i always liked the ninjas...and shu has always been pretty bad ass, so im pretty sure he did something big to tick harmonia off.
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

I just assumed that he gave it to Edge beetween the higheast rebellion and the second fire bringer war for some reason, though im probably wrong. Theres a website someone made on April fools day http://www.suikox.com/new/suiko40401.html that pretends that the Higheast rebellion was going to be the storyline for a new Suikoden game, theres loads of artwork and its has its own plot about two brothers fighting on different sides of the war. Pilika's a martial arstist and Klaus has gone all Kiba in appearance, ahh what will never be.