Windamier questions

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Bakuri

Windamier questions

Post by Bakuri »

I've been looking into some stuff and was wondering about something.

According to Duefiumi Eliza Windamier (Klaus' mother) was a "Harmonian aristocrat"

Is that information accurate? Here at suikosource she is just listed as coming from a "powerful family within the Highland Kingdom" Either way, her status saved her from being executed when Kiba and Klaus switched sides.

Anyways...
If she is in fact a Harmonian aristocrat... does Klaus have any nobility status there?

Klaus is also said to have inherited his looks from his mother. So looking at Klaus we can assume Eliza had dark hair... isn't that a no-no in Harmonian nobility? Or does he just dye his hair?

These questions probably don't have answers, but I am interested in knowing more, if there is information out there.

Thanks in advance :mrgreen:
Nikisaur

Re: Windamier questions

Post by Nikisaur »

I'm sure you're aware of how brown hair is a dominant gene and shows up over blond. It would only take one of Klaus' parents to give it to him, one of Eliza's parents to give it to her and so on. So technically the gene could have been introduced way down the line. I'm only saying this because I think it's incredibly unlikely that Klaus dyes his hair...
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

well, brown is dominant over blond, however you can have brown hair, and carry the dna for blond hair as a gene you pass on to your child, so his mother very well could have had either blond or brown hair, assuming that Kiba also had a recessive brown hair gene, which he would almost have to, given how dark Klaus's hair is(although brown in dominant over blond, having a blond gene lightens the shade of brown hair). also keep in mind that looks aren't simply defined by hair color. it includes head shape, eye color, nose shape, body type etc etc. given that klaus in much more slender, has a pointier nose, and straight hair it's pretty obvious that he doesn't take after his father that much physically.

as far as noble status goes, nobility within a country is generally hard to lose as a status. however, if she is from highland, which subsequently dissolved, then her nobility status would have to be recognized elsewhere, which may or may not happen, depending on whether she has any relations abroad. If she is harmonian, then she still has that nobility. Klaus would also have that status, but more importantly, he would still be recognized as his father's son, given that highlands and harmonia were allies, they'd still recognize Klaus's highland heritage, even after highland collapsed, besides which, as his father's heir, he likely has considerable entitlements, and thus would make a solid marriage choice for a noble family, and that would likely be enough to ensure that he maintains his noble status.
DoReMi_Vampire

Post by DoReMi_Vampire »

I would have to agree with the above, Klaus obviously doesn't have his fathers body-type and Elíza could still be blond despite his dark hair. The question about his status as the heir of the Windamier-name remains to be seen though.

We don't know if Kiba or Eliza were prominent leader-figures in the Windamier family as a whole, nor do we know if the rest of the family in that case recognizes Klaus as a part of the family at all. Remember, if the Windamiers strictly were part of Highland's aristocracy then the possibility exists that they became part of the Highland Loyalists during the Higheast Rebellion, in which case Klaus would end up being on the opposite side of the conflict.

If his heritage on the other hand lies in Harmonia we instead are faced with the question of how important the blond and blue-eyed gene is to be recognized as part of the Harmonian aristocracy. In a perfect world maybe it's just the name that counts, or maybe some people in Harmonia are such extreme fundamentalists to the point where they believe only blond people should have the privilege of having high status.

Hm, I never really thought that much about Klaus before, but now I'm kinda interested to see more of him in the future if possible. :)
- I've got a warrior's sword with your name on it.

- Of Course I Know Chinchirorin!
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Well on the hair colour thing, if Kiba had a dark hair gene it'd show up over his blond one. Just saying.

All that aside I always took Klaus looking more like his mother to mean in a bone structure kind of way.
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
Bakuri

Post by Bakuri »

I understand what you guys are saying ^^

Thanks for all of your insights everyone.
My interest is still piqued concerning this topic, and I was just wondering if anyone else ever thought more about it.

The only thing that I mentioned the hair color for was because Harmonian 1st class citizens are supposed to be blonde hair blue eyed people. So I'd assume Eliza was such a person. I guess the dominant gene for dark hair could come from Kiba though, but that just makes me wonder... what was Kiba's status?

Kiba and Eliza had an arranged marriage, so I'm assuming Kiba must have had some kind of status for them to be in an arranged marriage. Maybe I am doing too much assuming :P Or maybe the information isn't entirely accurate. Either way it is interesting to think about ^^

Thanks again for the input all ^^
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

My guess would be that they married after Kiba was promoted to be one of Highlands high generals. Unfortunately, I don't know when this was (in which year). So maybe this marriage was a "present" from Harmonia for him.
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

DoReMi_Vampire wrote:Remember, if the Windamiers strictly were part of Highland's aristocracy then the possibility exists that they became part of the Highland Loyalists during the Higheast Rebellion, in which case Klaus would end up being on the opposite side of the conflict.
That would be cool to see, Klaus having waited patiently for years for the right time to strike, turns on Shu to avenge his father being sent on a suicide mission to the mercanary fort on shus orders. And betrays the city states, leading the loyalists to rebel against higheast. Why is there so little information on the Higheast Rebellion?
If it's not found out, a lie becomes the truth.
DoReMi_Vampire

Post by DoReMi_Vampire »

gilgamesh31 wrote:That would be cool to see, Klaus having waited patiently for years for the right time to strike, turns on Shu to avenge his father being sent on a suicide mission to the mercanary fort on shus orders. And betrays the city states, leading the loyalists to rebel against higheast.
That could be interesting. But I never saw Klaus as the treacherous type, personally I was thinking more along the lines of him having to come to terms with having to fight against his own family as the chancellor of Dunan.
Then again, it's wouldn't be impossible that the Windamier family joined Dunan instead. Kinda like when the Kage-organization allied itself with Dunan after their previous employers of Highland were conquered.
- I've got a warrior's sword with your name on it.

- Of Course I Know Chinchirorin!
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

in fairness, ninjas are mercenaries, they work for whoever is paying. highland stopped paying, so they needed a new employer. I think Klaus is unlikely to go traitor, however, in the event that it made tactical sense to do so, he'd go to the other side. I mean, he already chose to do so once.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

eldrasidar wrote:in fairness, ninjas are mercenaries, they work for whoever is paying. highland stopped paying, so they needed a new employer. I think Klaus is unlikely to go traitor, however, in the event that it made tactical sense to do so, he'd go to the other side. I mean, he already chose to do so once.
But to him and Kiba, this wasn't treason, because they only swore loyalty to Agares Blight, not Luca or Jowy or Highland itself.

Also, I don't think that Klaus would avenge anyone for his father. It was Kiba's very own decision and no one forced him to go on that suicide mission. Klaus knows that.

And I also think it's possible that Klaus maybe askes his mother to come to Dunan, so he could protect her better. He's a pretty high guy in Dunan's new system, so she wouldn't lose much of her lifestyle, I guess.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

treason is in the eye of the beholder.
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

eldrasidar wrote:Also, I don't think that Klaus would avenge anyone for his father. It was Kiba's very own decision and no one forced him to go on that suicide mission. Klaus knows that.
I wouldnt put it past that little sneak Klaus, like eldrasidar said he did it once before. Kiba didnt really have a choice in the matter he surrendered his life to Riou's mercy when he beat his army. (Can you actually behead them, i've never tried.) Shu make a 'request' to Kiba to act as a decoy, but Shu knows that Kiba can hardly refuse as hes already given his life to Riou. So even though Kiba died a hero's death i dont think that it was really his choice.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

You are just being silly calling Klaus a sneak. And No, you can not behead them. The dialogue just repeats with Shu saying that you should quench your bloodthirst or something like that.

Kiba had a choice, but he chose to go on the mission that Shu requested him to go on, and he also knew that to suceed in a war, there will be casualties. Klaus knows that as well, since he's quite the tactician. It's like saying "Oh, yeah, you made my dad sacrifice his life to save basically the entire kingdom and stuff, but, ya know, I'll kill ya now." going against everything Klaus behaviour pattern up to that point has been.

Was Klaus sad that Kiba lost his life in that attack? Without a doubt.
Does he blame Riou and wants to plot a revenge? Hardly.

Klaus and Kiba switched sides because of their allegiance to Agares Blight, not his bloodthirsty son, Luca.

So, "that little sneak" Doesn't really have any ground what so ever. It's like calling Riou a talkative bastard.
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

:lol: I was joking, no need to get yourself so worked up. No matter how you put it him and kiba changed sides making them turncoats, turncoats=sneaks, thats what ground i base sneak on but like i said it was a throw away comment.

As for a choice, what was the alternative choice? it looked to me like Shu gave him an order he knew kiba wouldnt refuse. And i didnt say klause was gana betray dunan, i said it would be cool to see.

I wasnt aware that you had access to klau's innermost thoughts, he could easily be suppresing his hatread until the right time. and people can change, high east rebellion is what, ten years after II? look at how Luc turned out.