Inventory of Castle Shops if you've never bought sth

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Antimatzist

Inventory of Castle Shops if you've never bought sth

Post by Antimatzist »

Easy question: What do the shopkeepers in your castles (in every Suikoden) have in their inventory, if you never visited a shop before? Are they empty? Or do they have basic equipment?

The only game I know is Tierkreis, but in that game Gadburgs inventory is independent of your visits in shops.
eldrasidar

Re: Inventory of Castle Shops if you've never bought sth

Post by eldrasidar »

it's kinda impossible for them to have nothing in them, since every shop keeper requires you to visit at least one shop(usually their own in another location) before you can recruit, so at the very least, they will have at least that inventory, but yes, to expand on that you need to visit other shops. Considering you are using medium level equipment by the time you can recruit the venders, it would be really unhelpful if all they had was the basic stuff. There are some items which only your shopkeepers will get, but that isn't until late late game.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Ah you're right. In Suikoden I, every shopkeeper is also a "real" shopkeeper, so you have their equipment at least.

In Suikoden II: Hans hasn't a shop before you recruit him, Jeane does iirc. Alex... mh... I guess you need not visit an Item Shop before you get him!? Is Rauras stuff dependant on Jeane's runes?

Suikoden III: You must buy the mole armour from Dominic's shop. You have to talk to Gordon in his shop, too, iirc.

Suikoden IV: Chadli is just there. Jeane has a shop prior to this or iiirc you must talk to the former rune shop keeper to get her.

Suikoden V: Yeah you MUST buy stuff from Mohsen, ok. You must talk with Shinro, I don't know if that counts... Jeane doesn't have a shop prior to this.

So yeah, basically, what I'm trying to say: Most games force you to talk to the characters before you recruit them, but I dont know if that counts as talking to them in the sense of getting their equipment.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

In Suikoden III they simply say they have nothing. Even the people that can't be recruited without having bought something have such lines in the script. Peggi says that he can't work without a hammer even though you can't recruit him without giving him one.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

:D Thanks for that information!
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

Peggi will only not work in between the time you find lake castle and the time you recruit him, however, his ability to work is not determined by the blacksmiths you visit but the hammers you give him, at least one of which you have to give him in order to recruit him. other vendors in 3 will say they have nothing if you haven't visited another vender with that particular character. so if you recruit dominic with geddoe, when thomas goes to dominic at the start of the game, he'll say he has nothing to sell, but he will have stuff to sell to geddoe, by chapter 4, when inventories are unified, this no longer occurs.

as far as talking to a vender, I'm pretty sure that counts for acquiring their merchandise. alternatively, nearly every game requires you to have gone to at least one vender prior to recruiting a a vendor, either to progress the story, or to recruit another character. like in 4 you need to go with snow to buy mega medicine, so that will show up with chadli when his shop opens up after you set sail. similarly with alex, you must have visited at least 1 item shop in order to satisfy your assigned duties with the mercenaries at the start of the game. Hans I think is the sole exception to this rule, however, you will eventually have to visit at least one armory in order to get a rose brooch to recruit simone.

raura's scrolls are based on the runes in your inventory as she converts them into scrolls. obviously since you have to have jeane before raura, anything you can buy from jeane, raura can make into a scroll(not including command runes)

jeane does have a shop at the very beginning of suikoden 5, you can meet her when you are able to walk around the capital with Lymsleia, who promptly calls jeane a whore...er hussy. you don't need to see her here, but it's really hilarious, so you should. when you do meet her in lelcar for recruitment, I believe she also has an inventory of runes you can purchase.

of course, you'd be crazy not to visit every single shop you walked past during the course of the game, so not sure how big a deal this is.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

eldrasidar wrote:as far as talking to a vender, I'm pretty sure that counts for acquiring their merchandise. alternatively, nearly every game requires you to have gone to at least one vender prior to recruiting a a vendor, either to progress the story, or to recruit another character. like in 4 you need to go with snow to buy mega medicine, so that will show up with chadli when his shop opens up after you set sail.
Ok i replayed IV until I FINALLY got my own ship on the sea and could see Chadlis inventory.
Unfortunately, I accidently talked with a vendor on the small patrol ship from the beginning, but he only had his three items in stock which are the same as in Razrils Item shop. -.- SO I am not any wiser than before, but maybe I will replay it again to this point and take better care.
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

Re: S2, you don't *actually* open the item store in Ryube though, it's just the usual convo so I dunno if that counts as checking their merchandise. Same with Jeane at Two River. As for the Rose Brooch, it's actually in an item store too, so that part's a bust but theoretically you could just ignore all armories altogether, but I have never tried it.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

*blows off dust* Sorry for reviving this, but I finally verified that Chadli is not selling anything if you haven't visited a shop before. But there is no special line from him.

Phew, that was exhausting.
Celes
Global Admin

Post by Celes »

Antimatzist wrote:Ah you're right. In Suikoden I, every shopkeeper is also a "real" shopkeeper, so you have their equipment at least.
Not correct. You can recruit Chandler without open up any shop menu prior to that. He will sell only Bandanna then. Surprisingly he won't be able to sell Bandanna otherwise. That is, because it is the first item in the internal item list and every shop menu has to have at least one slot. As soon as you visit any item shop, the Bandanna will be overwritten.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Yeah, re-reading this topic I noticed my mistake, but hoped that no one would re-read the old postings. :D
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

In SI Chapman & Chandler they'll have only a bandana if you haven't VISITED any shop. It doesn't matter if you have bought anything,just visiting.

I don't know anything about the other games...but i think you can't avoid it in S2 because you must buy flour in Ryube and Pilika's amulet in Muse.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

But that doesn't necessarily mean that you get the shop's inventory. In IV, you have to buy some Mega Medicine in Razril and talk to the owner, but still, Chadli doesn't offer you anything. So I guess that the real shop menu is the trigger - not talking to the owner.

Would be interesting to know if you talk to the shop owner from behind the counter when he changes his dialogue, you still get the things in your castle or not. (I'm using the word "interesting" very strangely here :D)
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Antimatzist wrote:
Would be interesting to know if you talk to the shop owner from behind the counter when he changes his dialogue, you still get the things in your castle or not. (I'm using the word "interesting" very strangely here :D)

I've tried that a million times in S2,and it only happens with a few owners...most of them will still open up the inventory. It doesn't matter i you speak to them in front of the desk or behind