Viki...more important then she seems?

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
ChaosMind

Viki...more important then she seems?

Post by ChaosMind »

Hey,this is my first post here.
I'd like to say that I LOVE suikoden,and played every game fully(that came out in the US)! Its sad that this series might be dead but anyway...my Viki question.

Viki is kinda a joke character,but I can't help but feel that her secret is even greater then Jean's and Zerase's. I know thats hard to believe but her backstory is crazy,and then the 'other Viki' who seems to know the chosen flame champion,from the future yet she's younger?!

Has anyone ever tried to figure her out? Whats the most popular theory?
Silverberg

Re: Viki...more important then she seems?

Post by Silverberg »

I kind of have a theory that her disappearing just after a war's conclusion and reappearing right in the path of another story's prime hero can't be a coincidence and that someone or something is controlling her to an extent.

I was also thinking that whatever force is behind her drastic teleportations could be the true parent rune of her blinking rune. Maybe the parent rune has taken up another guise, like the Star Dragon Sword, and is working behind the scenes to help the Stars of Destiny. It could in fact be the Blinking Mirror, as she always has it on her, except in the first Suikoden. But it is possible the start of the Suikdoen series of wars awakened the Blinking Mirror, which could have summoned Viki initially, and from that point forward, it was never far from her.

I dunno, theories are theories I suppose. But I agree her role in the overall story is much more important that is led to believe by her actions and behavior.
"Black Rune, pink balloon! This guy killed Gremio!!!"
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

It's a common theory that Viki can teleport through time aswell, seeing as she doesn't seem to age between appearances. Seeing she doesnt have a True Rune (I think that was confirmed?), there would have to be some reason for her staying young from the S4 timeline through to S3.

Provided they are all the same person - Viki in S5 doesn't remember Lorelai at all, even though she swears Viki helped her out of the ruins. The amount of teleportation through time/space going on could be what has made her so confused though.

The two Vikis in S3 I think is the biggest, most intruiging clue we are given. I'd like to hear some theories on that.
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Maybe she's like Benjamin Button.
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

I never saw two Benjamin Buttons in the same place!

Then again hey, maybe she's Leknaat, aging backwards AND can teleport through time. WHO KNOWS O_O
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

What i dont understand about her remaining ageless by teleporting through time is that how comes she doesnt age during the wars she witnesses like wansnt IV over a course of four years or something surely she must age a bit?
If it's not found out, a lie becomes the truth.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

True, considering how Suikoden 1 also lasted at least 2 years, and Viki joined towards the beginning of the game. However, Konami hasn't really been all that good at keeping track of time, so their official explanation has a good chance of not fitting with actual time that rabid fans like us have been keeping.
Silverberg

Post by Silverberg »

Isn't there talk that Viki is from another world anyway? Maybe she's not technically human and doesn't age the same way as everyone else. Even elves seem to have longer lifespans. Maybe she's like them.

HA! or thinking about it over at Konami has become so mind boggling that they haven't been able to build S6 because of her.
"Black Rune, pink balloon! This guy killed Gremio!!!"
veriaqa

Post by veriaqa »

@vextor and @gilgamesh : at last someone beside me notice that fact. Thanks guy. That one fact, that viki doesnt age at all during the war in Suiko1 and 4 (last 5 and 4 years respectively) should tell us that Viki is not just merely a clumsy girl that repeatedly teleporting to every war knows to fans. Even if she doesnt did all the teleport, someone/thing must behind all those.
I've came with an army who loves death like Yours loves live.
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

I think I've pointed this out before, but I'm pretty sure that you can't really tell if Viki ages. I've done the math in some other thread if someone wants to find it.

It basically comes down to the problems of not knowing when she teleported into different wars and there not being an in-game way to find out her age. I think the only place the talks about her age for sure is S2.

As to her appearance, none of the characters appear to age... in any of the games... no matter how old they are supposed to be.

EDIT: Found it (http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 9&start=15) It's basically what I just said, S2 says that she's 16. My quasi-calculations came out to 5 years of her life actually within the wars. None of the other games say how old she is. So then you'll be depending on artistic renderings to decide how much she's aged. That sounds like a terrible idea. Then you have to throw another wrench into the 'ageless' theory: In what order did she go through the wars? Wouldn't Viki be the only person who would have a chance to know? I trust her about as much as I trust the consistency of the artistic renderings.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

You can't tell that other characters you got in your army aged either, so would you be able to tell that she's aged or not?
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

@lesous: although in game you may never get her age aside from 2 in the official suikoden books i have for 1&5 it states her age as 16&16?. suikoden 4 last what 6 years? i know that they were just too lazy to make portraits of characters (like the kid from the obel ruins) but that doesnt explain why viki's still 16 in suikoden 5? its probably just another plot hole that got out of hand and turned into one of the great mystories of the suikoden universe.
veriaqa

Post by veriaqa »

@gilgamesh Thanks to point it that viki is always 16 just like i said, and I also think that viki's age started as plot hole that turned into mystery. And the writer just go with that.

I believe even if there's no solid proof, viki age in 3 and 4 would be 16 too.
I've came with an army who loves death like Yours loves live.
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

gilgamesh31 wrote:What i dont understand about her remaining ageless by teleporting through time is that how comes she doesnt age during the wars she witnesses like wansnt IV over a course of four years or something surely she must age a bit?
Then,
gilgamesh31 wrote:suikoden 4 last what 6 years?
I like how the Island Liberation War is like the proverbial fish that gets bigger and bigger with each telling. Here are the details I added up in the other thread: "This means that she's 17 at the end of S3 as she teleports to the Island Nations. Obel falls to Kooluk in 304 and that's the first time you can recruit Viki. The Punishment Rune War is over in 307, so Viki would be 20 when she teleports to Falena."

I'd like to know what those publications are that you're referring to. What's the context of it talking about her age?

I think it really comes down to what Vextor said: Konami isn't as careful with the timeline and people's ages to make any reliable inferences about Viki's age/aging. Within the context of the game, it's impossible to know that some of these wars are lasting the amount of time that later publications indicate. If she is indeed supposed to be 16 in every game, I think it's because the game writers haven't realized that that doesn't fit with the timeline of the wars.
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

yeah i think youre probably right about that last bit, the books that state her age along with all the other characters ages well most of them aside from jeane,persmerga and luikan who all have ?? by their ages, are the official suikoden world guide book which covers the first two games and states that viki is 16 in each. the other book is the official suikoden 5 108 stars guide book which states her age a sixteen with a questionmark next to it. which i thought was a little odd in itself, its likely we will never find out the original concept behind her age.

P.S :lol: proverbial fish i like that one.