What does that mean?

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Shinyo

What does that mean?

Post by Shinyo »

"What does what mean?" you ask?
I'm talking about the character names :D
Just thought this might be interesting for a few people, so in this thread we will talk about the meanings of the Suikoden characters.

A few names to start with:

Pesmerga
From Peshmerga or Peshmerge (Kurdish) refers to armed Kurdish fighters. Literally meaning "those who face death" (Pesh front + marg death). More info on Wikipedia.

Fuma
Smoke (Portugese I think, correct me if I'm wrong)

Kage
Shadow (Japanese)

Genkaku
Sword Edge (Japanese)

Shiro
White (Japanese again)

Badeaux
I don't know if this has any meaning in the english version, but in the german version his name was Bordeaux (if I remember correctly, that is) which is a french port city.

Mondo
Has several meanings:
Earth, universe, world, society, "a world of..." (Italian)

Hanzo
Probably taken from Hattori Hanzō, also known as Hattori Masanari, who was a famous samurai and ninja of the Sengoku era.

Barbarossa
Red beard (Italian).
Also there were quite a few emperors who had this name, like Frederick I, the "holy roman emperor".

That's all I know :D
Of course you can also add meanings of "real" names like Boris (which has several meanings like "short", "wolf", "snow leopard" or something like "glorious figter"). Wikipedia will help you with this one, but I was too lazy to do that right now.

-NOTE:- I only used Suikoden 1+2 characters because I only played those 2 games so far.
Check out my blog for random fun stuff and reviews!
Antimatzist

Re: What does that mean?

Post by Antimatzist »

Siegfried and Sigurd: from nordic mythology, famous dragon slayers. Mostly known from the Nibelungen saga.

Percival Fraulein: From the Artus-saga. Fraulein also means "Miss" in German (but it's spelled "Fräulein".)

Charlemagne: Charles the Great.

Freyjadour, Ferid und Zahhak are from Persian mythology. Freyjadour and Ferid might come from the persian king Fereydun. Zahhak was also a king or a demon or whatever.

Bastan: there's an art museum in Teheran named Bastan.

Lucretia: Lucrezia Borgia from a famous italian family of tacticians.

Babbage: Charles Babbage built the first "cimputer". http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babbage

Egbert Aethelbald: Aethelbald of Mercia An anglosaxon king, who later became a high king.

Godwins: Godwin of Wessex was a nobleman who forced somebody to marry his daugghter to get more power.

Cornelio: Lucio Cornelio Silla was an opera from Georg Friedrich Händel

Perrault: named after fairy-tale author Charles Perrault

And Badeaux was named Badeaux too in the German version.

And about Tierkreis-characters...

Minen: German for mines
Büchse: German for rifle
Geschütz: German for gun (one of these names was written with "u" instead of "ü")
Tsaubern: German "Zaubern" means to perform magic

Well, I don't know if this was what this topic intended to do, but I tried my best to search for analogies of Suikoden names in the real world. Sorry if this was wrong^^
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Re: What does that mean?

Post by Oppenheimer »

This is kind of a list topic and believe it or not we already have a thread about this idea:

http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewt ... =13&t=9464

Feel free to post there if you have more to discuss.