Luca Blight's Strength

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
carmelenigma

Luca Blight's Strength

Post by carmelenigma »

Does the Suikoden novel reasonably account for how strong Luca is? At first I thought that it was the power of the Beast Rune that made him so strong but now I dont know. His strength was ungodly , his white wolf unit had 18 attack and 18 defense, it took 3 parties, a shoot-ton of arrows and a duel to take him out. Even GEORG wasnt that strong in suikoden II and this guy has been battle hardened for at least 20 years. You would think a pampered prince who just spars with an old general wouldn't be the single strongest person in suikoden history.

I mean my god he was stronger than YUBER and he had a true rune!
freshmetal

Re: Luca Blight's Strength

Post by freshmetal »

I would assume that the Beast Rune was the reason behind his super human strength and endurance. He was like a wild rabid animal with ferocious power and refused to die until every single ounce of that ferocity was gone.
PSN: FreshMetal80
carmelenigma

Post by carmelenigma »

But when you read up on the Beast rune, it does not say that it grants someone that kind of strength. After all he did not have it on his body. And it was dormant, he had to use the blood sacrifice to activate it. It was all him..
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Yep, Konami (Murayama to be precise) said that Luca Blight's strength has nothing to do with the Beast Rune. It's simply his own talent and battle experience that makes him the "most deadly warrior in Suikoden."
Belcoot4

Post by Belcoot4 »

I like to think of him kind of like the prince (if I remember right, antagonist) from Gladiator. Pampered and all, his swordsmanship was almost unmatched. I don't think the Beast Rune actually gave him the strength but more or less helped him channel and trigger it when he goes into battle. I don't know if I'm the only one who noticed it but Luca does show some threads of sanity at some points of the game. He respected both Sasari and Yuber, aknowledging them as worthy generals. Jowy, undoubtfuly because of the Black Sword Rune always had Luca's ear. Then also, Leon Silverberg, I'm not sure if it was that Leon wasn't afraid of giving orders toward Luca or was that his natural way of dealing with Luca as a strategist. With all that being said, something like the Beast Rune I would think would have him ravaging at everything. During Jowy's knightship ceremony, Luca mentions something about a horrible even that happened or he witnessed about his mother, that alone is enough to give him the strength to wreak havoc.
"Even the dead reveal their secrets to me." Yuber

"I have not lived long enough to become a myth." Chris Lightfellow

"They betrayed us and fled. Cowards." Zegai
carmelenigma

Post by carmelenigma »

Belcoot4 wrote:I like to think of him kind of like the prince (if I remember right, antagonist) from Gladiator. Pampered and all, his swordsmanship was almost unmatched. I don't think the Beast Rune actually gave him the strength but more or less helped him channel and trigger it when he goes into battle. I don't know if I'm the only one who noticed it but Luca does show some threads of sanity at some points of the game. He respected both Sasari and Yuber, aknowledging them as worthy generals. Jowy, undoubtfuly because of the Black Sword Rune always had Luca's ear. Then also, Leon Silverberg, I'm not sure if it was that Leon wasn't afraid of giving orders toward Luca or was that his natural way of dealing with Luca as a strategist. With all that being said, something like the Beast Rune I would think would have him ravaging at everything. During Jowy's knightship ceremony, Luca mentions something about a horrible even that happened or he witnessed about his mother, that alone is enough to give him the strength to wreak havoc.

He witnessed his mother being gang raped by bandits sent by the mayor of muse.

Still i can understand him honing his skill and being above average in strength. But look at people who have great justifications for their strength.

Georg Prime - Participated in at least 3 great wars has 20 years battle experience , and in a one on one match Luca would wipe the floor with him.

Persmerga - Strongest character you can recruit, Probably not even human, thats justification enough

Yuber - He comes the closest to being as strong as Luca, but he still isnt physically as strong as Luca, even with the Eightfold Rune

I think realistically he should be about as strong as Viktor or Humpfrey, perhaps with his pure rage and evil tactics giving him the slight edge.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Nope. Not Viktor or Humphrey...

Viktor's insane strength + Humphrey's insane defense + Fire Sword Rune = Luca Blight!
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
27x4=108

Post by 27x4=108 »

For me a ranking of melee fighters would be something like that:

1. Luca
2. Ferid
3. Yuber
4. Georg

Ferid and Georg had not a True Rune at all, a shame you cant see Ferid fighting hard, Georg didnt show a lot too, not like Luca at least.
Yuber never fought with all his might, we dont even kwow what powers his true rune have, or at least what is his ultimate power.
Sorry for my very bad english! :S
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Don't forget Pesmerga! He got a nice Strength growth.

Post by 727 »

I really need to find a way to fit him into a flashback scene one of these days. It would be nice to finally play as Luca. Maybe for episode 7...
A brand new Suikoden game with a well-written script!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Suikorok ... ?ref=br_tf
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Well you know how like, when people are hypnotised (or having a seizure or something) they have the strangth to do things they wouldn't normally be able to do? I always saw Luca as kind of like that, like he'd go into a beserker rage/trance while fighting and without that mental doubt, his abilities are increased dramatically. I can't really explain it as well as I'd like but ah well... :?
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Nikisaur wrote:Well you know how like, when people are hypnotised (or having a seizure or something) they have the strangth to do things they wouldn't normally be able to do? I always saw Luca as kind of like that, like he'd go into a beserker rage/trance while fighting and without that mental doubt, his abilities are increased dramatically. I can't really explain it as well as I'd like but ah well... :?

well, retards, when they get really pissed they get really strong, and you need a few people to hold them down.. So what you're trying to get across, is that Luca Blight was a retard?! :lol:
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

He certainly had some behavioural/cognitive issues. Not sure the term retard is appropriate.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Relax lass, i'm just pulling your leg.
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

I know. Perhaps my little brand of humour is a little too subtle to carry in just text -_-