Most useful characters?

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
snakebite105

Most useful characters?

Post by snakebite105 »

Who do you believe in each game(1-5+tactics) was the most useful characters? This is more then personal preference to how a cool character is or How relevent they are to the story.

Who do you think in each game if you did not have this person the game would have just been alot more teedius without them.

Marie the inkeeper?
S2 Alex's who even has rare finds in his shop without them being rare finds?
Viki's ability to teleport you 4 feet to the next town?
Mukumuku's amazing fighting talent to die 3 seconds into the battle?
Esmerelda's amazing ability to leech off you and do nothing?

(Try sticking to people who are actually with you. For example Sanchez would work for the conversation because he still does something for you but Luca Blight would not)

Try makin it funny so its not just another listing topic
Last edited by snakebite105 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a fan but I'm also a critic. Without preasure to improve stagnation is the future. Do not accept lackluster because of your enjoyment of the overall picture. Criticism is needed for improvement to be made.
Blutiger Engel

Re: Most useful characters?

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Well, since you mentioned Viki, I must say she is undoubtedly the most useful character in the whole series. I'm lazy, so I don't like walking to the next town or the town across the world. The shopkeepers are also very useful, since they prevent me from having to go to different towns to buy certain runes or items (with the exception of trade shops).

As for personal preference, I wouldn't say that Snowe is all that useful (he is easily replaced in both 4 and Tactics) but he made me tolerate the games more. Lazlo was also super useful in Tactics.
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

I have to agree about viki. Imagine how tedious S4 would have been without her on your team! Who'da known she has the power to teleport an entire fleet of ships, yet cant control her power well enough to keep from disappearing when she sneezes! Speaking of which, what happened to all the other people at her dinner party?

But, undoubtably, the most useful character in the series is Nanami! Imagine how much more difficult things would have been on the hero without her constantly complaining, i mean offering a different view point! Not to mention how things would have been if she wasnt always talking about the good old days. Imagine how much harder things would have been on Riou if she hadn't faked her own death toward the end so that she could hide from the world! Or how things would have been if she hadn't tried to talk Riou into deserting the army while they fought Neclord. Such an amazingly useful character!
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

I like your style, Janus.
JanusThePaladin

Thank you Blu. who else do you think is an extremely useful character?
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Hmm, probably Window, and the others who proceed him. I don't know what I'd do without the option to change my window color. I doubt I'd be able to play the game anymore.
JanusThePaladin

OH yeah! i completley forgot bout those guys! I for one think you cannot forget the use of Apple though. If it were for her long string of failures you'd never have realized exactly how good Shu is. Not to mention that at some point she became a tarot master and predicted Shu's fire stunt! She's so awesome that she later travels the world to apprentice herself to a younger strategist who somehow is still better than her. Simply an amazing character!
exo

Post by exo »

Viki, Jeane and the rest of the shopkeepers...
If these people never joined, I would have given up playing Suikoden...
Going back and forth to the latest discovered shops with every new party line up in tow just to get equipment updated. I'll be damned! :evil:
They're really totally useful...
Story wise they probably the one who provide logistics, weaponry and the like... That's useful...

Oh! Don't forget Chisato! and any other voice/sfx changing character!
Who would not want the sound of rubber ducky being squeezed every time you opened up the menu or browsing through shops?
JanusThePaladin

I totally agree Exo. You know who else is simply amazing? All the Kobold and Nay-Kobolds that join you in each game! I mean, who here wasnt using Gon when they went up against Emperor Barbarossa? And not to mention their extremely odd accents, the disappear. God knows we all loved the voice acting for Cheipo! I used to talk like him when i tried to pick up women in bars. You'll never guess how many ladies smacked me right in the face for that one!
exo

Post by exo »

You betcha...
Vicious bunch of humanoid kitties and mutts, what a great idea of demi human race...
They're so vicious it hurts your eyes!
What's more vicious than kitties and mutts?
Duckies! That's right we got some Donald Ducks holding polearm weapons!
And some of them are seasoned veterans! Or should I say seasoned ducks!
And they let their kids to learn from them!
Now, who would not want a duck to be their mentor?

Right, ahem...
Now, on to the most useful character in battle:
The DoReMi elves, they're so good they let you watch them joins you from the very bottom pits of character levels!
And what's sooo great is that their recruitment is time consuming and random at best!
I bet they're actually the flying squirrels from S2 in disguise! Making appearance in S5 just to drive you nuts!
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

Seems like most of the useful characters were already named, what a shame. I still have a few I wish to name though.

Nei, Shabon and Toppo - Music, I love listening to the music of Suikoden and these three make it happen.

Cornelio, FaSoLa, LaTiDo, MiFaSo, ReMiFa and SoLaTi - Same as above.

Richmond, Kidd and Oboro - I love investigating people and hearing about about their background a bit. They also help you in recruiting, though Oboro was kind of vague and you pretty much knew the information beforehand.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Jeremiah Ecks

Post by Jeremiah Ecks »

Suikoden I - Viktor and his Clone Rune do me a lot of good... But I'd hardly say he's indispensable. Probably Gaspar - infinite credits, here I come.
Suikoden II - Viki, due to teleportation, but second best I'd pick Hai Yo - I LOVE the recipe games!
Suikoden III - Not played.
Suikoden IV - Viki due to teleportation.
Suikoden V - I'd say Georg, because of his badassery and the fact that he's nice for levelling up skills on the lem.
Tactics - Lazlo, Lazlo, Lazlo all the way. Close second is Rene for her treasure hunting ability. A closer third is Flare, who for some reason is kicking loads of butt for me at the moment...

-Jeremiah Ecks,
who is tired and needs bed but is totally addicted to Suikoden!
"Everything is something, but nothing is everything."
yuberluc

Post by yuberluc »

All of suikoden series, i really2 like Viki ^^,
Chaos will suit me just fine
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

JanusThePaladin wrote:
But, undoubtably, the most useful character in the series is Nanami! Imagine how much more difficult things would have been on the hero without her constantly complaining, i mean offering a different view point! Not to mention how things would have been if she wasnt always talking about the good old days. Imagine how much harder things would have been on Riou if she hadn't faked her own death toward the end so that she could hide from the world! Or how things would have been if she hadn't tried to talk Riou into deserting the army while they fought Neclord. Such an amazingly useful character!
Exactly what I've been saying since I played this game!

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Freak

Post by Freak »

I say that Qlon is the most useful. Just imagine you forgot what you named your castle and no one would be there to remind you. I wouldn't know what to do anymore!