Nelis' comments on the Runes of Condemnation and Punishment

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Nelis' comments on the Runes of Condemnation and Punishment

Post by suiko2fan2 »

In SV, So i was reading Nelis' comments about The Rune of Condemnation, which is below. I find it fairly interesting that evening after 150 years or so, the Rune of Punishment is still associated with such destruction: "whittles away the life". i would have thought in the Isle Nat. that rumors about its cycle of violence ending with its "heroic" bearer, Lazlo, would have crept in or something to something extent during the end of the war and following the founding of the I.N. Or that the rune, its bearer, and its dormant curse would have just faded from memory, with the way Lazlo just dropped off the pages of history the way he did.

Like i said, i find it interesting, not completely shocking all things considered.

She says:

Alhazred showed me the Book of
Condemnation.

I think the Rune that possessed it is
related to the Rune of Punishment.

The Rune of Punishment is one of the
twenty-seven True Runes. It whittles
away the life of it's host.

They say it's linked to the Island
Liberation War.

While the Rune of Condemnation is only
related to the Rune of Punishment, you
should still be careful when you see it.
I will establish one mighty nation in this land. A single, powerful nation, born of force and wielding force. That is the one and only way of freeing this land from war.

Best Suiko FanFic:
www.fanfiction.net/s/5194891/1/The-Puni ... of-the-Sun
Blutiger Engel

Re: Nelis' comments on the Runes of Condemnation and Punishment

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Well, she might be speaking in general terms, since it took every other bearers' life. It is a bit odd that she didn't mention the famous exception, though. I think Lazlo might have distanced himself from others over time because he never really understood the rune (Leknaat wasn't too clear, and when he said it didn't hurt him anymore in Tactics, he didn't seem to know why) and was afraid it would transfer to others, hence dropping out of the pages of history.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Do we know for sure that he hasn't part with the Rune within the span of ~150 between Suikoden Tactics and Suikoden V?
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Not for sure, but I'd assume that the rune would be around "taking victims" (or whatever you want to call it) if he had parted with it. Or it could have plausibly been sealed up again in the Ruins of Obel, like it was after the queen had it. Or, perhaps the developers just wanted to throw in a homage without actually bringing him up or explaining what happened. We'll probably never actually know, unfortunately.
King Krimson

Post by King Krimson »

That's true. But what if none of the others knew that the Rune of Punishment was dormant.

Some of the conversations between Lazlo and King Lino in Tactics suggest that maybe Lazlo hasn't told anyone that the rune is now Dormant. As to where Lazlo is, he could really be anywhere.
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/1542/banner2bq6.gif

Luc - "then your definition of freedom is the ability to walk around a giant cell with an invisible leash around your neck"
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Post by suiko2fan2 »

King Krimson wrote:That's true. But what if none of the others knew that the Rune of Punishment was dormant.

Some of the conversations between Lazlo and King Lino in Tactics suggest that maybe Lazlo hasn't told anyone that the rune is now Dormant. As to where Lazlo is, he could really be anywhere.
True, but he does tell Kika in the tactics, when she asks him about the Rune, he tells her that it doesn't hurt him anymore when he uses it nor does he pass out from it anymore. And the others from IV who follow Kyril in tactics, i think would have notice the differences in how Lazlo felt before and after the rune changed its states, regardless of whether or not they had all the info. They could have notice some difference. Just saying...
I will establish one mighty nation in this land. A single, powerful nation, born of force and wielding force. That is the one and only way of freeing this land from war.

Best Suiko FanFic:
XIII

Post by XIII »

That's just a couple of people though compared to the thousands of citizens from the Island Nations. There's a high possibility that rumors and stories about the RoP gets passed around whether to scare little kids or a campfire story within bandits to show fear to everyone. Some would probably keep that fact a secret to protect Lazlo.

If a new rumor goes around that the RoP doesn't hurt it's user then people would just think that they can now use it and try to kill Lazlo for it which could then repeat the cycle.

Since people thought that it was linked to the Island Liberation War then they would mostly focus on the negative effects of the war and the rune.

If my statement made any sense lol
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

That does actually make a lot of sense, XIII. It's like the game kids play in school where one whispers something to another and as it keeps getting passed along the information gets skewed. I'd imagine after 140 years or so that the knowledge of the rune is a bit off, especially if no recent contact has been made with it or its bearer(s).
Jeremiah Ecks

Post by Jeremiah Ecks »

I think you've just said it; Alhazred's information doesn't need to be accurate. He is reading from books, which could have come from pre-Lazlo, Brandeau time. And Chinese whispers can be dangerous. I mean, a lot of the True Runes are famous but have mythology attached to them.

Despite the fact that Ted was a recluse, and that he and only he owned the Soul Eater in 300 years, Cleo was still astute enough to figure out his secret and knew what it was. So some 'working knowledge' is around of True Runes in the general populace. The 'legend' of the RoP is that it guzzles people up, kind of like an ancient nursery rhyme. And maybe Alhazred's information, combined with Nelis' comes out like that. Sounds like, anyway.

So I don't think they were being accurate, just reporting half truths. Whether information became public about Lazlo's redemption of the rune is beyond our ability to see. I think his closer friends may have noticed, but ultimately if Lazlo returned to Lazlo Island and drifted off the map, anything could have come up in his absence. He may still be on the Island right now, like Ted hides away. Who knows? And if Lazlo chose to hid in seclusion, it's easy to assume it's because he's dead and the RoP swallowed him up like Brandeau and the others...

-Jeremiah Ecks,
who wonders why the heck Lazlo was on Lazlo Island in ST anyway; with a hottie like Kika roaming around, why would you want to stay there alone with Chiepoo?
"Everything is something, but nothing is everything."
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Post by suiko2fan2 »

I notice when you talk to Alhazred for the 1st time in rainwall, as he is talking to the random trader, he calls the Book of Condemnation by name: Tome of Erkanos. Saying that it was "cursed" and will "bring the blackest doom upon the user" etc...

I just never notice it before and wanted to share, as i wasn't able to find this name for the book of condemn. anywhere else.

Best Suiko FanFic: