Tactics - Lino's statement ~What does he mean? Spoilers

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Sagiri

Tactics - Lino's statement ~What does he mean? Spoilers

Post by Sagiri »

At some point during Tactics you can get Lino to talk to Lazlo and he will tell Lazlo not to overdo it.
This seems really dense for me to be asking this, but what does he mean by that?

Edit by Op - Specified title
It's a pinky promise. If I break my promise you break my pinky.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Re: Tactics - Lino's statement ~What does he mean? Spoilers

Post by Oppenheimer »

You don't need to mark spoilers for such an old game.

Lazlo has a tendancy to knock himself out by using the Rune of Punishment. So Lino is just concerned with him doing the same, that's all. Little does Lino know that the RoP doesn't hurt Lazlo anymore.
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

I was about to say the same thing. No one else has had any contact with Leknaat, and so they aren't aware that the rune no longer hurts him or that he's (most likely) immortal like the other true rune holders. One of the knights (possibly Paula or Jewel, I don't remember) asked him about the rune and he told her that it no longer made him pass out, so other than her, I doubt too many others know.
Sagiri

Post by Sagiri »

He told Kika, actually, so it kind of bothers me that he would tell someone who wasn't exactly close to him...
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

Are you saying that Lazlo wasn't close to Kika? If so, that's pretty absurd. She was one of his closest generals in a war that lasted somewhere around 4 years, and they shared a co-op attack. They were as close as could be expected of them.
Sagiri

Post by Sagiri »

(Ignore my stupid comments I'm an idiot)

The war didn't last four years, I can tell you that now. And I have a reason to back that. Hero 4 could not have lived with the rop for more than a year under current conditions.
Point given, please continue.
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Post by suiko2fan2 »

not true it was a long war contrary to shortness of the game, but Glenn was killed in 302 and the war ended sometime in 307, so about 4 or 5 years. (sidenote: Brandeau had the rune for about 3 years before he died, some did have it longer than others.)
I will establish one mighty nation in this land. A single, powerful nation, born of force and wielding force. That is the one and only way of freeing this land from war.

Best Suiko FanFic:
www.fanfiction.net/s/5194891/1/The-Puni ... of-the-Sun
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Yep, the official timeline shows that the Island Nations Liberation War lasted for years, specifically starting in the year 302 and ending in the year 307.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

One must assume a substantial amount of time transpired in simply moving between islands, although the gamemakers decided not to add actual time to open sea travel. That being said, the actual events of importance probably take place over the course of about a month's worth of time.

Also as it should be noted the rune of punishment only harms you when you use it. Brandeau and Lazlo were both competent fighters without the rune, and so they didn't need to use it as much as many of the other bearers, most of whom were clearly not soldiers. Glen in theory could have lasted 3 years with it, however unlike Brandeau, he was actively provoked into majorly using it right after acquiring it. Even Lazlo didn't use that much of its power until he was on Obel, which was at least a month after he had gotten it(I'm assuming one week between his acquiring the rune and being getting exiled, another week between that and being picked up by Flare, and 2 weeks prior to the Kooluk invasion of Obel.) More importantly perhaps, is that lazlo built up a tolerance to the rune, slowly using more and more of it's power instead of going full power from the beginning.