Leaders' Age in Suikoden

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Kasumi14

Leaders' Age in Suikoden

Post by Kasumi14 »

I'm sorry if this has already been asked before - if it is, feel free to lock or delete this.

My question is, do we really get to know the official age of the heroes (Tir, Riou, Lazlo and Frey?)

Especially Lazlo. I checked the timeline, it's said that Lazlo was born at 288, and the Liberation War ends at 307, which will makes him around 19-20 at S4-Rhapsodia. But several sources state that Lazlo is around 15-16 years old, just like the estimated age of the rest of the silent heroes.
Jack of All Trades

Re: Leaders' Age in Suikoden

Post by Jack of All Trades »

Tir is 14 at the beginning of Suikoden 1. By the end he is 17.
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

What Jack just said about Tir probably applies to Lazlo as well. The war probably takes place over several years. I'm not sure what the sources are that you're talking about concerning him being 15-16 yrs old. They could be saying that that's how old he is at the beginning of the game, or the war, or whatever. Frankly, I would think that he would have to be older than 15 or 16 if he were part of the knights of Gaien. A 16 yr old knight would be unusual from a 21st century perspective. However, customs could have been different 'back then.'
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Iesous wrote:What Jack just said about Tir probably applies to Lazlo as well. The war probably takes place over several years. I'm not sure what the sources are that you're talking about concerning him being 15-16 yrs old. They could be saying that that's how old he is at the beginning of the game, or the war, or whatever. Frankly, I would think that he would have to be older than 15 or 16 if he were part of the knights of Gaien. A 16 yr old knight would be unusual from a 21st century perspective. However, customs could have been different 'back then.'
Gensopedia says Suikoden IV starts in 302, Jewel is the youngest of the Razril knights in this game being born in 291, making her 11 in S IV, and Tal's the oldest, born in 286, being 16.

Tal seems to be rather lazy... Lazlo is something in between, I guess around 15 years old or so. Sui IV take splace until 307, so all of them age 5 years (which is absurd, considering Rakgi doesn't age a bit).
Kasumi14

Post by Kasumi14 »

Yeah, I thought so too. I checked Gensopedia, and was surprised to find that the war lasted for 5 years (making Lazlo around 19 years old at the end of S4).
Frey's one is pretty clear though, since the game stated that 'The Sacred Games was held for Arstat 16 years ago', making Frey is around 15 years old at the beginning of the game..

A bit off topic though, I always wonder how the characters and the people just accept the heroes as their leader without even a single one not trusting them because they're still kids. No matter how influental and charismatic they can be, they practically are still underaged - and yet people accept them as leader without further doubt or such...
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Well Flik doubted about Tir(woot! I said something about Suik 1)but generally, yeah i too am mystified.
I guess it's PLAINLY because they're the main character. lol!
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Most of the time, the leaders have famous parents (Like Riou was Genkakus "son".. and was referred to this all over the game.... or The Prince, even though he wasn't that famous, he's still son of the Queen!). Lazlo is some exception, but Lino trusted him because he reminded him of his own son (which he is, most probably), and Elenor trusted him because.. well.. he managed to get something for her. Woho!
Kasumi14

Post by Kasumi14 »

Well, I understand about that their background actually manage to convince other important characters (such as Shu, Elenor, Lino etc), but it's a bit strange that even all his followers (the generics one - the soldiers, civilians) just faithfully follow them, without even any hint of rebellion in part of their forces. I mean, no matter how influential their parents/backgrounds are, surely there must be someone who thought, ' Hey, he was just a kid, could he really win the war?'
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

The Island Liberation War didn't last five years. In the game, Chiepoo says he's due to turn nineteen in the scene where everyone's discussing the Rune. Also, in the official Marigato! book, his age is 19 in SuikoIV and 21 in ST. (Likewise for Snowe.)

If Lazlo's birth year is really 288, then he was also nineteen in SuikoIV, and twenty-on in Rhapsodia.

So...

Tir: 14-16 (19 in SuikoII)
Riou: 14
Thomas: 16
Hugo: 15
Chris: 22
Geddoe: 112
Lazlo: 19 (21 in ST)
Kyril: 8-15-18
Frey: 15
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Rogue wrote: Geddoe: 112
Whoah? Is this real?? Oh yeah... He had a True Rune.
But still, that was quite shocking..

What's Magirato?
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Marugoto is an information book. Supposed to be the next Suikoden Encyclopaedia; building on what it had by adding in game info from III, IV, Rhapsodia and V.

Japanese-only, of course.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Rogue wrote:The Island Liberation War didn't last five years. In the game, Chiepoo says he's due to turn nineteen in the scene where everyone's discussing the Rune. Also, in the official Marigato! book, his age is 19 in SuikoIV and 21 in ST. (Likewise for Snowe.)

If Lazlo's birth year is really 288, then he was also nineteen in SuikoIV, and twenty-on in Rhapsodia.

So...

Tir: 14-16 (19 in SuikoII)
Riou: 14
Thomas: 16
Hugo: 15
Chris: 22
Geddoe: 112
Lazlo: 19 (21 in ST)
Kyril: 8-15-18
Frey: 15
I still think the war lasts longer. But I dont know, maybe I trust the gensopedia too much (but why would they make out these dates?
Kasumi14

Post by Kasumi14 »

Rogue wrote:The Island Liberation War didn't last five years. In the game, Chiepoo says he's due to turn nineteen in the scene where everyone's discussing the Rune. Also, in the official Marigato! book, his age is 19 in SuikoIV and 21 in ST. (Likewise for Snowe.)
Ow :o I didn't notice it in the game. I did remember they mentioned Snowe being around 19 in the game, that's why I presumed that Lazlo was around the same age as Snowe. Then again, since he was lost in the sea and found later, we wouldn't really know his exact age.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Apparently, what is termed as the Island Liberation War did last five years according to officially published timeline. What can be argued is whether the point where we started Suikoden IV is the same point as the beginning of that war, which might have led to some in-game inconsistencies.

This gets messy once you factor in Rhapsodia's "Three Years Later" complication in its prologue chapters, which seems to imply that Suikoden IV began and ended exactly within that time gap...
kte03

Post by kte03 »

Runemaster wrote:
Rogue wrote: Geddoe: 112
Whoah? Is this real?? Oh yeah... He had a True Rune.
But still, that was quite shocking..

What's Magirato?
Lmao, I expected him to be older :|