fitting leaders from I-V? spoilers of course

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Blutiger Engel

Re: fitting leaders from I-V? spoilers of course

Post by Blutiger Engel »

blah1017 wrote:I thought they were all pretty fitting.

The biggest question for me arises in Suikoden 3. I really see Chris as the best leader of the army.

Hugo is a hot headed kid with a chip on his shoulder, and Geddoe, while experienced and skilled, seems more suited to manage his own little mercenary troupe. Chris was the only one who really seemed suited to lead the army.
Agreed. She was the leader of the knights already, so she had experience, as well as ambition. I never picked her though since her magic sucked so bad, and her team bored me to death. As for Hugo, I wouldn't want a 14 year old kid leading me anywhere, regardless of how skilled he was. He was too naive and though he'd be a great leader as an adult, he just needed to grow up a bit. I usually chose Geddoe mainly because I liked him and his team- though in reality he's too introverted to be a motivating leader.
Sagiri

Post by Sagiri »

What I find strange is that those with true runes are automatically chosen as leaders. This is not the case with all of them.

S1: Hero is specifically asked to be the leader.
S2: Still not sure. It just happened?
S5: Obvious. He's the brother to the future queen, and there is speculation on if he even has a true rune in the first place.

In Suikoden 4 and 3, the heroes are chosen purely because of their ability to annihilate the enemy in a mere twelve seconds?
Confer...
It's a pinky promise. If I break my promise you break my pinky.
yuberluc

Post by yuberluc »

Well Tir & Frey is more Fit than the others (since they both educated from their family),

Chris will be nice for the military,

although i like luc very much but he doesn't fit to be a leader.. he's so fragile,remember all the tactic n strategy were given to albert, luc is just like a merc magician with yuber n sarah in his side.
Chaos will suit me just fine
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

I did not know this thread existed! But I like it. I'm not sure if we're talking about the beginning of the game or not sooo I'll just say whatever. Here's my two cents:

S1: Tir is okay. I mean, his character bio on this site just says he's Teo's son and became the leader of the Liberation Army. He doesn't seem to have the backstory of the other leaders. He has a True Rune, combat training and I assume a decent education. So he's all good I guess, but the thing that bothers me about him is his motive. He was on the run from the Empire/Windy, surely the smart thing to do would be to leave the empire... I can't understand why he joined the army really. It's just not really believable to me.

S2: Now this is my favourite story of all, especially with the themes of friendship and loyalty. I think Riou fits the bill really well. I mean, even disregarding the whole True Rune conflict dealie. He is a promising soldier, which means he has combat training at least. I'd say there were a lot of tactics/strategy/leadership exercises in his training. The fact that he is Genkaku's son/Bright Shield bearer may have helped him, but you can only get so far riding on someone else's coat tails. He obviously had quality leadership skills. He inspired people. As far as motivation for leading his army, the Bright Shield probably had an influence. But more importantly, Highland ruthlessly sacrificed the lives of his friends, and tried to sacrifice him and Jowy. His loyalty to Highland was probably snuffed out after he tried to return only to find they still wanted him, and the two people he cared about most, dead. On the other side of the coin, Jowston took him in, gave him food, a home, a job. They could have him hung for being a highlander, but they valued his life more than his own country. Perhaps there was an element of revenge in there. I think it makes him not only a fitting leader, but an interesting one.

S3: I’m just going to keep this short. I always saw Hugo as the one who was supposed to lead, but I don’t think he’s very fitting. He’s got a very quick temper and lacks any relevant experience. Chris, on the other hand, would be a much better fit, water rune or not. She has experience and has proven to be level headed and inspirational. She is also well known and respected, where as Hugo is a kid from a small tribe.

S4: Lazlo was obviously a good knight, the commander praised him highly, and he was obviously easy to follow, demonstrated by the two friends who follow him. From a political standpoint, he was a fitting leader for the army because he didn’t belong to any of the places he was trying to unite, so he could be an impartial leader. He was also wanted by Kooluk already, so he had his own reasons for wanting to fight them. Same with Tir though, if someone wants to steal your rune/ kill you, and they control an entire country, just run...

S5: Extremely fitting leader. In fact, he’s pretty much the only person who could have led this army and had the support of the people. He had no way of taking advantage of the civil war for his own ends.

Okay I’m done, sorry for the novel. I’m in a ranting mood...
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
yuberluc

Post by yuberluc »

From my opinion,
All heroes in Suikoden series are inexperience because of their age, (except like chris or geddoe)
that's why in each of the story there are tacticians to help them.. besides all of the problems were solves by their tactician,not from the hero itself. That's why if you all ask me who's the most fit to be a leader.
Well u should choose the adults like Geddoe or Chris,but of course leadership is not just military or age experience.. is about who you can trust with, someone who is pure love their own kingdom or nation or any kinda tribe. Just slip on my mind i think Flame Champion is the right person (if he's not chasing about love,ok?)
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

Nikisaur wrote: He was on the run from the Empire/Windy, surely the smart thing to do would be to leave the empire... I can't understand why he joined the army really. It's just not really believable to me.
I have never even questioned this once but you're right, although Tir is my favorite Tenkai why did he actually become leader? Oddessa only knew him for 10 minutes before handing over the entire liberation army leadership to him, no wonder Flik was pissed (I think they could have expanded on that storyline a bit more BTW). Like you said he is on the run from windy who he knows is with the empire. He is appointed leader of the army over people like Lepant and Flik? Then he fights and kills his dad i mean what the shiz? I love this game, its not quite on par with II but my god the storys flawed now i think about it.
yuberluc wrote:Just slip on my mind i think Flame Champion is the right person (if he's not chasing about love,ok?)
Trust you to choose youre portrait :lol: But im not too sure i agree with you i mean the dude selfishly followed his love for Sana, Forsaking the true fire rune and abandoning the grasslands. Sure he bought them 50 years but he could of stormed Harmonia with Wyatt and Geddoe and finished this. I can see why Geddoes not to pleased with him.
If it's not found out, a lie becomes the truth.
DoReMi_Vampire

Post by DoReMi_Vampire »

I've only played 1-2 so far so I can't say much in detail about the rest. From what I've gathered from forums I've been given a fairly positive image of every protagonist in the series, they all seem to come from promising backgrounds and all seem to have the will to fight for peace.

SI: I feel slightly confused about Tir though, mostly for the same reasons everyone else. He's a silent protagonist who basically takes over the Liberation Army after spending really little time helping Odessa, otherwise I don't have any complaints about him.
I also want to make it clear that I don't have anything against the whole silent protagonist-thing, IMO being silent doesn't have to mean they lack personality, I prefer to think of it as part of their personalities. I mean look at Humphrey, he was a man of very few words yet he was still recognized as a pretty high-ranking soldier wherever he went.

SII: In this case I always felt that Shu was the true leader behind the scenes. I actually think early on right after getting the castle Shu straight out says that Riou needs to be a symbol to the people. Let me count the ways, he's the son of the famous war-hero Genkaku, he holds the Bright Shield just like Genkaku and he's right on the frontlines when he goes to beat Solon Jhee. Riou was always more of a symbolic leader meant to inspire, of course I'm not saying he wasn't a strong selfless leader, I'm just saying that I think this created great balance in the plot. By letting Shu among others lead us through the more politcal side of the story Riou allowed us to see the more human side of it, mostly thanks to his strong bonds with Nanami and Jowy.

BTW, does this topic only include the protagonists? Other leaders like Ridley Wizen, Joshua Levenheit, Teresa Wisemail and Lepant to name a few seemed like pretty strong leaderfigures to me.
- I've got a warrior's sword with your name on it.

- Of Course I Know Chinchirorin!
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

Well i guess so as it doesnt say "fitting tenkai's from I-V? spoilers of course." If theres one game from the series you should play after 1 and 2 its suikoden 3. It really brings alot of depth to some of the previous characters from I and II but i wont ruin it for you. We Europeans got the short straw what with Konami not releasing it here, it took me years to get suikoden 3 and an american PS2 but it was worth it. (Although i enjoyed the manga more, perhaps because i got it first).

I agree with you about shu and Riou, Riou made a name for himself by defeating solon jhee's unit. What did Tir do? freed two bandits that could of saved themselves, wow. Tir has always been my favorite Tenkai but after yesterday im beggining to lose faith in our bandanered original protagonist...
If it's not found out, a lie becomes the truth.
yuberluc

Post by yuberluc »

I think Tir would not fit to be a leader, why?

You can see in Suikoden 2, he refuse to be a leader that's why he's running away with gremio (to go fishing :roll: )

Hugo i think is the one who's ready to be a great leader, his passion to save all people is superb!
there's a hero inside of him!