Staff's Comments of Suikoden III Characters (Dengeki)

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Genso

Staff's Comments of Suikoden III Characters (Dengeki)

Post by Genso »

These are short interviews conducted by Dengeki Playstation Magazine (Prominent Japanese Game Magazine) regarding the characters of Suikoden 3. Comments are made by Isobe (Director/Main Programmer), Sarugaku (Battle Programmer), and Ishikawa (Character Illustrator)

Ace
"Ace was enormously popular among the staff members in the beginning stages. He is a sympathetic individual whose presence became overshadowed as more and more distincitve characters were created. (laughter) Initially I believed that he was a cool character. He had weapons similar to that an assassin would carry, and he had the perfect aura. But once the scenario was created, the unexpected happened. I got depressed... (laughter)" (Isobe)

Aila
"Like Hugo, Aila was established as being naive. Also regarding Jacques, it seems that since he has a side to him that he likes interacting with kids, it doesn't necessarily mean that he has a special feeling for Aila. I highly recommend the part where Queen starts acting like a big sister once Aila tags along Geddoe's team." (Sarugaku)

Alanis
"Alanis is a strong girl. For some reason in the "Genso" series, the females are stronger than the males. Of course it is the exact same structure among the creation staffs.... (Laughter) There is a doodle with Alanis sticking her tongue out. Please try hard to get it." (Sarugaku)

Ayame
"Ayame and Watari are like the exact opposite of the Clive Event in Suikoden 2 with Ayame pursuing Watari, who escaped from the organization. They both have the history of working for the Highland Empire. The "Kage" sect finally allowed me to make the ninjas more like an actual ninja. Before, there were mini-skirts and pink costumes. Definitely not at all close to what a ninja would wear. (laughter)" (Ishikawa)

Belle
"Since Mel, who has the same "ru" ending to her name, exceedingly stands out, Belle actually looks pretty normal doesn't she? Just looking at the fact that she speaks to a moving barrel, she should be considered rather abnormal. (laughter) Her flashy outfit seems to be a characteristic for a trickster. The unite attack with Gadget is very cool this time, so please check it out." (Sarugaku)
NOTE: In Japanese, Mel's name is pronounced "Meru" and Belle's name is pronounced "Beru"

Billy
"Billy is far away from that stereotypical cool image of a treasure hunter. He is No.1 within the limits as a "Bad Father". Is one asks "how come"... First of all, he leaves young Melville behind to go off on a journey. He has various problems with his wife. Everyone will be surprised with the shocking truth that will be revealed from Kidd's investigations. He actually has another child...other than Melville...." (Ishikawa)

Borus
"As expected from his appearance, Borus is a son from a wealthy family. He is a young master with the stereotypical curly hair. (laughter) Unlike Percival, who is a commoner, I believe that he did not experience any hardships as he grew up. In his case, I think that he looks more handsome in the 3D model compared to the illustrations. Please try comparing." (Ishikawa)

Cecil
"It is established that she is wearing her deceased father's armor, but as expected the bottom part of the armor was not her size. (Laughter) As much as she admires the Zexen Knights, she most likely looked really hard for a skirt that resembled the color of their kilt-like skirts. She is established to be 13 years old, and younger than Thomas. She is wearing fitted shorts underneath her skirt. (Laughter)" (Isobe)

Duke
"Duke's Team has a more "at-home" feeling than Geddoe's Team. They have already grasped each other's past, and trust each other. Duke's father, as one would expect, was also a mercenary solider. Nicolas fought under him. Different from the way Geddoe's Team connects with each other's trust, Duke's Team's "at-home" atmosphere may have been what Ace, who has a taste for "at-homeness", was wishing for." (Ishikawa)

Eike
"His personality is one of a kind. Generally speaking, he doesn't talk, but he's a very capable man in time of need. If possible, I would not want to be his enemy. (Laughter) How he got to the basement of the Budehuc Castle will remain an eternal mystery. He's very peculiar, but at the end of playing Thomas' Chapters you should find yourself saying, "What a nice guy!" His suggestions from the suggestion box are very funny." (Isobe)

Futch
"He grew so much. His arms were rather chubby from the beginning, so I had a feeling that he would become rather built when he grows up. (Laughter) The weapon that he uses is actually Humphrey's. Since Futch is able to swing with 1 arm a weapon that Humphrey used with two arms.... He must have trained pretty hard. By the way, if you bring Futch to the last battle, he states some heart wrenching words." (Sarugaku)

Geddoe
"It's probably not good to make joking remarks ruining his image like; if he removes the eye patch, "Medama Oyaji" will come out. Or that the reason he's wearing the eye patch is because he's hiding a sun tan in the shape of a circle around the eye like that of a panda. (laughter) Since he has been through so many various experiences, he must have injured his eye during a past battle. He has a cool image as a guy who doesn't speak much. So much about him is a mystery; like his age, his origins... "
Note: "Medama Oyaji" is a character in "Ge Ge Ge no Kitaro". He is Kitaro's dad and famous for his line "Oi! Kitaro". He is an eyeball with arms and legs. (Isobe)

Guillaume
"I believe that the scene where he's chasing after the street performer, Shabon chan, was borderline censor material. (Laughter) In the duel events with him, his lines are mostly ambiguous, so it should be hard to figure out his moves. Beware of the man wearing flamboyant fashion decorations and has his mustache facing upwards." (Sarugaku)

Hugo
"When I first received the request, since Hugo was Lucia's son, I drew his eyes and facial expressions rather sharply. But once his scenario became apparent, I was surprised that he was simply such a good boy. In the beginning process, there were instances where his lines tended to be rahter brusque, and he even calls Lucia "Ofukuro" one time in the game. Please try to find it." (Ishikawa)
NOTE: "Ofukuro" is a way to call the mother in a very unchildish way. Older Japanese males usually refer to the mother this way.

Jimba
"If he existed in real life, he is someone that you would want as an older brother. His presence is like that of a reliable brother figure to Hugo. Since he lives among the fierce natural wilderness of the Grassland, I bet he has survival skills that will make him very reliable. (laughter) Quite opposite to his cheerful image, he also carries with him the burden of his past. Have fun finding out about him." (Ishikawa)

Jacques
"His outfit is actually the exact same image as an outfit that I wanted. In the beginning he was established to be middle aged man, but if that were to happen the entire Geddoe's Team would have been generally dull and shabby. He became a refreshing addition." (Ishikawa)

Kidd
"There are many information that will be revealed by asking him to investigate. He is able to scout characters who are still unrecruited if you ask him. But he may be the most unreliable detective in the series. (Laughter) The "Duck Murder Case" of the Duck Clan makes one want to tell him, "Solve it yourself!" (Laughter)" (Sarugaku)

Koroku
"The scariest is Mike ofcourse. It teaches us that no matter how charming a smile may be, people have a hidden side to them. (Laughter) The Doggy Unite Attack was at first established with all members being unbalanced after their attack. But I received a complaint from a dog-loving staff member stating "I can't use them to fight the last boss like this," so I remember that I had to alter their balance." (Sarugaku)

Lilly
"Together with Samus and Reed, their image was exactly the Three Musketeers. But when I finished, for some reason it resembled a certain life insurance company. Since she's cute, it feels okay. Also, Lilly has an odd personality equal to that of Mel. In the past, she and Chris seemed to have had a big fight at a certain party." (Ishikawa)
NOTE: When Ishikawa San refers to "a certain life insurance company" I am guessing that it's some kind of famous Japanese commercial or advertisement.

Melville
"Presently, he is living by himself in Vinay del Zexey. Please ask Kidd regarding his life situation that cannot be told without shedding a tear. It seems like Elliot's family take care of him at times. Billy is terrible as a father, but Melville considers him an important person. He is even idolized from Elliot's point of view. A mind of a child is complex...." (Isobe)

Mike
"If you talk to him in Koroku's chapter, you will experience something terrifying. If you investigate using the detective investigations up to the 3rd level, a lot will be revealed. Similar to how Yuber has monsters accompanying him, Mike has scary young men behind him obeying his orders. There is no relationship what so ever to the monster's world, and it means that he is a person who is a part of the darkest part of the human world." (Isobe)

Muto
"Muto is also one of my favorite characters. You can't tell just by looking at him, but he actually has experienced many things in his past. First of all, his scar on his face. There is a rumor that is was made when he accidentally hit his face with the corner of the dresser, but it has not been made official. (Laughter) Although they are both Kobolds, he is a different type from Gau, who is in Duke's team." (Sarugaku)

Nicolas
"That is not a lid of a pot. (laughter) I also thought "huh?" when I was drawing it, but it is a shield. Nicholas has a very keen sense of duty, so he closely protects Duke, who is much younger than him. Duke's team is full of human warmth, so in the end they will even rescue Geddoe's Team. When they offer for their assistance near the end, I find the choice to select Geddoe to plead "please help us" very funny." (Ishikawa)

Percival
"Since he is from a commoner origin, I believe that he also has a vulgar side. He is a calculating person, and gives an impression of real toughness different from Salome's. That fantastic hairstyle was probably a result of his awakening interest in fashion when he joined the knights. This is the reason why the middle-aged lady told him how he has grown into a fine person. (laughter)" (Isobe)

Salome
"When one plays the Hugo Chapters, the Six Zexen Knights look very evil. But when one plays the Chris Chapters, they look like they are a part of the "Chris Fanclub". (Laughter) Salome is a person who is extremely talented as a strategist. Although he has no eyebrows, he is a good person." (Ishikawa)

Sarah
"She is an orthodox character as expected in the "Genso" series, and very easy to draw. Since she is a person who is on the Harmonian side, she is wearing those kind of classic outfit. Her outside appearance is pretty, but during the game, she will be in a position where she will torment the players all over the place." (Ishikawa)

Sasarai
"To make the Bishop of Harmonia appear in a play...absolutely awe-inspiring. (laughter) I bet people like Nash are tricking him, and Sasarai himself has not consented. It seems like he is also sometimes assigned to do the cleaning. But since he is known to be a sloppy person, he may actually do the opposite and make it messier. I believe that he is an intelligent person regarding politics, but he seems like someone who doesn't have any skills for daily activities." (Sarugaku)

Sergeant Joe
"He wears a helmet, holds a weapon, wears a top, but I find it funny how he doesn't wear pants. (Laughter) Also, the Ducks' weapons have two types of shapes at the tip: a blowfish shape and a squid shape. Please take a look at weapons of Wilder and Rhett, who are also Ducks. In my opinion, I love the Grasslands' atmosphere of being surrounded by nature." (Ishikawa)

Thomas
"Thomas is the character that I most emphasize. In any case, he is initially very weak, and he is someone who is likely to be found collapsed in back of Cecil. (Laughter) That makes it possible to enjoy his course of getting stronger even more. His manner of speaking is also pitiful, but he will become strong as his castle faces emergencies. With his getting the people at the castle together and his growth of character, he definitely gives the player the taste of accomplishment." (Isobe)

Viki
"In the previous Suikoden 2, we were able to describe her as "careless". But this time with the addition of little Viki, there is a stronger presense of describing her with the phrase "Are you okay?" She is getting messed up more as new installments are made. (Laughter) But when you look at the newspaper on the wall right near the last battle, you will find out that she will say something very touching...As a person who knows the past." (Ishikawa)

Watari
"By leaving the "Kage" organization, he became a ninja escapee who is being pursued by Ayame. It is not mentioned in the game, but it seems like they both worked for Luca and Jill Blight's family in Suikoden 2. By the way, if you go to the bathhouse with the three notoriously quiet guys (Watari, Jacques, and Edge), you will see a hilarious conversation between them with Jacques saying "Watari, I will lend you my soap". (laughter)" (Sarugaku)

Yuber
"This time it was established that Yuber would get rid of his armor and to be made so it would be hard to identify him at first sight. Although the probability of him being a handsome character is definite, seeing him run around is too funny. (laughter) A cool person like him shouldn't be running that frantically. Him braiding his own hair is truly a mystery. He may unexpectedly be skillful in that way." (Ishikawa)
Asquian

views

Post by Asquian »

Ace
He does come across as comic relief, doesn't he? Yet I still like his character greatly. For some reason he reminds me somewhat of Locke Cole from the Final Fantasy 6(3 US) game.
Aila
Her and Chris both have costume changes at one point in the game, Chris' being more dramatic. Yet when you finally get good control of her from chapter 4 on, she reverts to her original outfit. I wish there was a way to change her look, and Chris' as well.
Alanis
Her and the other St. Loa Knights add a bit of heart to the game, giving us one more perspective to look at. In fact, that's one of S3's strong points, is that you have the ability to view events from more perspectives, and i'm not just talking about the Trinity Sight System.
Ayame
I agree, her and Watari gave a much more ninja like feel to the Suikoden Ninjas. Since they're supposed to belong to the secret Kage society, does that mean they're in a sort of ninja merc group founded by Kage, or is Kage merely the name given by a ninja on assignment.
Belle
Meg was, is, and always will be my favorite Suiko character, so i'm happy that we at least got her daughter in 3, and her creation in Gadget Z. I only wish that Kidd's investigations of her would reveal more info on her mother. I REALLY WANT TO KNOW WHO BELLE'S FATHER IS! And it had BETTER NOT be Billy...
Billy
Along with our do gooders, Suikoden has a habit of having a few shady individuals(Kirke, Sid, Landis), and some downright criminals(Hoi), but i don't think we've ever seen such a blatant scumbag until we meet Billy. I still think there shoulda been a small scene where Billy's other child learns who their father is...
Borus
I didn't like him at first, and was lukewarm about him at the end, but that's just because i feel the Zexen Knights group was about the most awkwardly presented set, and attempting to give us a good idea of Borus' character instead left me somewhat befuddled about him. Others may not have had this problem.
Cecile
I like her, she was one of my favorite characters, and was one of many reasons why Thomas' chapters are my favorite chapters. I like how attatched she gets to Thomas, for whatever reason(friendship, infatuation, love, etc.). I even think it's interesting how they have a unite attack.
Duke
His team really just felt like filler to me. Obviously Geddoe's crew needed some kind of competition, and we had a few SoDs to fill in. They're well balanced enough, and giving them some personal history with Geddoe's crew was a nice touch, but i still get this feeling of "Tacked on" with them.
Eike
Hugo, Emilia, Eike. Have you noticed all the bookkeepers are odd in some way? Hugo loses a war scroll in a cave full of strong monsters, Emilia has no problem joining your army and seems to get excited with all the hush hush acitivites surrounding her recruitment, and Eike..... is Eike.
Futch
He and Tuta are the two characters that we really get to see grow up(discounting Viki, since she's a special case), and Futch we've seen in each game. With his awesome battle capabilites, and Bright's, he became a semi permanent member of my party, although i apparently need to put him in my final party.
Geddoe
I always played his chapters last(of the main 3), so i always felt like his party was behind events a bit(spatial thing.)Anyway, I like him, he's a complex character with a (literally!) long history. I'd be interested in seeing more of him in future titles.
Guillaume
He continues a tradition of lukewarm criminal types. I just KNEW i was gonna have to end up recruiting this weirdo at some point. What exactly did he WANT with Shabon anyway? Ransom? Another note, Suikoden's SoD Appraisers are also a set of eccentrics.
Hugo
I always started his chapters first, so of course i end up with a bad view of Chris until i play her story. Anyway, He's a versatile character, who when mounted on Fubar, usually gets me out of the tougher spots of his quests.
Jimba
His portrait looks alot like another anime character, although the name escapes me right now. I didn't use him enough to get a feel for his character though.
Jacques(Jack)
Boy that's one pointless name change. Do you suppose it's a translation error, or are they trying to indicate that Jacques like to hold himself back from the group a bit? And i see nothing wrong with his relationship with Aila.
Kidd
Richmond was surprisingly competent for a Fletch based character, So Kidd in his mild incompetence is quite funny. Even so, I like that his investigations seem to not take as long to complete as Richmond's did(or maybe its just me)
Koroku(Connie, and the other 3)
Considering how many frustrating hours i spent trying collect a quintet of squirrels in Suiko 2, i was quite happy with the scavenger hunt for puppies. Plus i liked discovering you could run the racetrack as a dog!
I really need to see their unite attack. Also, for real fun, in your plays, fill as many spots as you can with your doggies!
Lilly
Another character we get to see grow up, non SoD to SoD as well. I like her, and even entertained thoughts that she might have developed some interest in Hugo. Since she's so stubborn, she'd never admit it, of course.
I feel sorry for her attendants. BTW, I think Samus is pronounces like Shaymus. i could be wrong.
Melville
i don't know where i got the idea, but after Thomas' flame lit, i somehow got it in my head that one of the subflames would be Melville and some quest to rescue Alanis. Of course i was wrong, but i didn't find that out until way later in the game, and by then had frustratingly revisited him many times throughout the chapters. Since i also didn't know the trick to recruiting him, i was well deluded.
Mike
I don't remember the terrifying event from visiting him, i guess i need to go back and check that, and investigate him as well.
Muto
Big, dumb, strong, and nice. I think they just took Rock and made him a Kobold. I really wish i knew where that scar came from, i never investigated him to try and find out.
Nicolas
See above reference to Duke's Groupl
Percival
I rather liked him and Leo throughout the game. Maybe i like that his character is commoner born, and thus seems more down to earth. He'd be my personal preference for Chris' partner
Salome
I still think he looks just like the muppet Sam Eagle.
Sarah
She's so cute and tragic, she tries to be nice but does what she must.
Sasarai
I don't understand what they're saying. I thought he was a toff when i saw him in 2, cause of that terrible hat, but rather liked him in 3.
Sgt. Joe
A good counter personality to Hugo's, he's one well designed character that helped to make Hugo's chapters more fun. I laughed out loud when he was trying to help make Lilly come to a revelation in later chapters.
Thomas
And the award for my favorite main character goes to Thomas. His chapters were a refreshing change of pace from the rest of the game, and i was sad that he only got 2 of em.I really wish you could have retained control of him again for some more minor subplots in later chapters.
Viki
When it comes to her and Jeane, Konami really likes their secrets, don't they? Kidds investigations on her, Young Viki, and Jeane are just as fruitless as Richmond's were on Viki and Jeane in S2. Still, i like her and Jeane's presence, as they give the game a great feel of continuity. and Young viki is so cute and smart, she's GREAT.
Watari
First coupla game we get Kasumi, who's competent, but not really up on the ninja personality, she's way too open. then we got her and sasuke in 2, and i was still feeling a little ill at the ninja clan. Ayame and Watari make me feel much better about the Suikoden ninja world. Also, they're great for my treasure hunting party, as a set of hunter runes and full swing upgrades makes for a lot of shots at enemy treasure.
Yuber
We finally start to get some feeling for his character, if not Pesmerga(where was he during Suiko3 anyway?), but like Jeane and Viki, he's both a source of continuity and secrecy. One of these days....

A few others
Chris - I much prefer her with her hair down
Nash - seems way different then his roles in the Suikogaidins
Mel and Branky - I get the feeling there's more to that situation than we're told
Augustine - Probably my favorite narcicist ever (Milich 2nd, Vincent 3rd)
Yun, Yumi, Yuiri- these three, to me, came way outta left field. what was the POINT of Yun?
Ceasar and Apple - I liked seeing apple, even if she's just babysitting sort of, but seeing her without Vik or Flik felt wierd.
Sonya -cat

Great RPGs never die, they just get more expensive -Me
Pesmerga69

Post by Pesmerga69 »

really? i hated chris's hair down, to me she looks better in her knight uniform.
-"why is life so hard?" "you keep landing on IRS.."
Kyojin Blight

Post by Kyojin Blight »

Yeah, that knight uniform was hot, however, it was nice to see a change later on in the game.
himurokoken

Post by himurokoken »

Chris's knight uniform was great. I thought her other clothes looked like they would be pretty smelly. ^^
Pesmerga69

Post by Pesmerga69 »

err hot? thats kind'a creepy complementing a video game girl.. :shock:
-"why is life so hard?" "you keep landing on IRS.."
Angelus

Post by Angelus »

Big deal, it looks good.
Comicho

Post by Comicho »

I agree with Asquian, I liked her with her hair down. I just liked the overall feel of her character once she met Nash and was free from being a Zexen hero to pursue her own goals.
Don't think sorry is easily said...
Yubar

Post by Yubar »

i dont know why but shee looks or seems younger when she has her hair up in the armor,she looks like a kid
Chaos is all I want, The suffering the pure screams of pain is what i thirst and i aim to please this hunger
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

I prefer Chris's casual uniform.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Teo Mcdohl

Post by Teo Mcdohl »

i also like her better with her hair down.When she was in her knight uniform she looked kinda manly
kroeker

Post by kroeker »

I agree with Teo about the manly thing. I've noticed that her profile of her in her casual clothes looks simular at a glance to that of Jowy's profile when his eyes are closed.

http://www.suikosource.com/images/chars ... ides05.gif
Malekus

Post by Malekus »

I definetely think she's hotter and more youthful with her hair down. With her hair being up, she looked like grandma.
Blitzkrieg

Re: Staff's Comments of Suikoden III Characters (Dengeki)

Post by Blitzkrieg »

Futch
"He grew so much. His arms were rather chubby from the beginning, so I had a feeling that he would become rather built when he grows up. (Laughter) The weapon that he uses is actually Humphrey's. Since Futch is able to swing with 1 arm a weapon that Humphrey used with two arms.... He must have trained pretty hard. By the way, if you bring Futch to the last battle, he states some heart wrenching words." (Sarugaku)
What does Futch say? I brought him...but he said nothing heart wrenching.
"We are forgotten in times of peace. It's only
when war looms that people remember we exist."
-The Great Leon Silverburg
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

He'll talk about how Luc and him used to fight side-by-side or something along those lines. Viki also has a special line...