Playing all suikodens in order of time

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Silver Dragon Flik

Playing all suikodens in order of time

Post by Silver Dragon Flik »

Just want to double check:

Suikoden Tactics prologue after the battle 'The Night Sea'.
Suikoden 4
Suikoden Tactics (The rest)
Suikoden 5
Suikoden 1
Suikoden 2
Suikoden 3

Did I get it right?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re: Playing all suikodens in order of time

Post by KFCrispy »

if those are the games you have, yes. there are the japanese Suikogaiden games, and the japanese GBA Card Stories that re-imagines Suikoden 2.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

For all intents and purposes, I strongly recommend completing S4 before even beginning a game in ST. It makes more sense, plotwise.
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

Not only plotwise, but you will also get a nice bonus if you fully complete Suikoden 4 then play Suikoden Tactics.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Silver Dragon Flik

Post by Silver Dragon Flik »

patapi wrote:For all intents and purposes, I strongly recommend completing S4 before even beginning a game in ST. It makes more sense, plotwise.
Why is that? I already started and doing it in order. And I have Lazlo since this is not the first time I play Suikoden 4 and T.
Transcending_time

Post by Transcending_time »

Silver Dragon Flik wrote:Just want to double check:

Suikoden Tactics prologue after the battle 'The Night Sea'.
Suikoden 4
Suikoden Tactics (The rest)
Suikoden 5
Suikoden 1
Suikoden 2
Suikoden 3

Did I get it right?
in accordance of PLAYING the GAME --- start with 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - tactics - 5

in accordance of HISTORY --- TADA!!! you've got it 100% right
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

technically I played them in order (excluding tactics) since Suikoden 4 was the first one I saw and bought.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

OT Suggestion:

Play the games according to releases. Play S1 first to avoid disappointment in graphics,etc.
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
TheMaskedBishop

Post by TheMaskedBishop »

I'd say play them in the order of release since that's really the intended way. The company released them in this order because that's how the storyline goes, that's how the author presented it. Playing in chronological order could be a cool experience after beating the all of the games and looking for a different POV. But I think it's best to play them as they are released.
Aculias

Post by Aculias »

It's like a Prequal.
George Lucas mastered it on Starwars.
It makes the game more interesting that way.

I guess some see it in a different light.
Playing from the start of the history.
I find it off base because you learn alot from every game & the history.
Like meeting ted.
Makes it more interesting after playing S1 because you understand more about where ted is coming from.

Of course Ted aged a little when he Temp lost the rune to the fog ship Master :O
TheMaskedBishop

Aculias wrote:It's like a Prequal.
George Lucas mastered it on Starwars.
It makes the game more interesting that way.
Yeah exactly, haha. I can't believe I didn't make that connection. Suikodens IV, Tactics, and V are like prequels to the events in the first three, just how the Star Wars were released. You can watch the Star Wars in chronological order, I guess, but it's a different experience when you watch then how they were released, how George Lucas intended us to see it.
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

really? because i thought it was easier at the time to create Star Wars IV, V, and VI than the first three

i mean can you imagine seeing the clone wars with the kind of technology they had back then?

also, i believe the climax of the 6-part novel was in the latter half

the first half was just there to build story

lastly the "No, Luke, I am your father" part would've become less intriguing if the novel was narrated chronologically

all in all, No i don't think George Lucas intended it to be inversed, i think if he could get a contract for a six part movie back then and had the proper resources and technology, he wouldn't inverse the novel, unless of course he said otherwise on an interview

i think it's just a well studied and timely adapted decision to choose IV, V, and VI to be the ones made into movie at that time (80's? 70's?)

So Konami didn't master any prequel-ing technique for i just believe they went with what they thought was best for the series at the time
TheMaskedBishop

Yeah, I suppose both are possible, but I'll have a better opinion once I finish IV, V, and Tactics. Lmao =)
i-heart-percival

Post by i-heart-percival »

i've played all of them in order (except the gaidens) and i feel that it's better just playing them in order of the game...sure, i like being a nerd and playing them chronologically to understand the history better, but playing them in order has been much more fun
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

You can watch the Star Wars in chronological order, I guess, but it's a different experience when you watch then how they were released, how George Lucas intended us to see it.
George has said lately that you should watch it 1-2-3-4-5-6, but that would make episode 4, and especially 5 suck, as Mio pointed out.

But George is slightly right. Even if it would suck, it technically should be viewed 1-2-3-4-5-6. Because 1, 2, 3 are prequels in two senses: chronologically and by title. Suikoden 4, Tactics, & 5 are prequels chronologically, but not in terms of title. They are sequels: 4 follows 1, 2, 3. So I agree with several people that say you should first play the games in order of release.
ireally? because i thought it was easier at the time to create Star Wars IV, V, and VI than the first three

i mean can you imagine seeing the clone wars with the kind of technology they had back then?
George says that, but I don't completely believe him. I have a hard time believing that he wouldn't consider remaking 4, 5, 6 with the graphics today, and that he wouldn't have made the scale just as big as the Clone Wars. After all, he already put out a special edition in the 90s with added scenes and improved graphics.

Sidebar Star Wars info - the movies came out in 77, 80, 83, 99, 02, 05. Episode 4, A New Hope was not originally titled thus. It was just Star Wars. Looks to me like he wrote one story, made a movie, it was a big hit, so he turned it into two trilogies. Since he had already started the second one, he had to continue and couldn't go back to Ep 1.
Despite my fairly negative tone toward Lucas and Star Wars in this post, I am a big SW fan. My friend and I have come up with the idea that the movies should be viewed: 4-5-1-2-3-6. 4 and 5 for reasons already stated. But if you watch 6-1-2-3 the ending of the whole series is pretty bad and depressing. 1, 2, 3 don't really spoil that much from Return of the Jedi, except for the info about Leia, which really isn't made that big of a deal in the movie. Ep 1, 2, 3 can serve as a kind of flashback after all of the questions raised by ep 5. Then 6 resolves the whole series.

Now, back to Suikoden. Has anyone ever put forth the theory that the whole numbered series is following Viki. I know that she teleported almost direcly from Toran to Matilda. I think she also moved immediately from Dunan to the Grasslands. I don't know if she immediately went from Budehuc to Island Nations and then to Falena. But if she did, maybe the next installment is just where she'll end up after teleporting away from Falena.