All True Runes Cursed?

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
son_michael

Re: All True Runes Cursed?

Post by son_michael »

dragonmasterx wrote:From reading the Suikoden 3 manga, it seems like part of the curse is seeing visions of the world ultimately ending.

Does every single True Rune bearer see the same visions of the end of the world? Or do only the bearers of the Elemental True Runes see that?

wasn't luc the only 1 that saw that? thats what make speople think the true wind rune was just screwing with his head to get free
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Possible curse of the Night Rune : you can't sleep. Ask a person who have insomnia, they'll likely say it is a curse.

Alphonse of Full Metal Alchemist : I don't want to be alone at night anymore.
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

They're not cursed. None of them are cursed. They're just extremely powerful and not really meant to be attached to a weak human.

Leknaat seems to do fine with hers. The rune of punishment is fine if you don't use it. The elemental runes seem to be fine. The dragon rune seems okay.
"You got whacked because you're weak." - Magus
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

Icegryphon wrote:They're not cursed. None of them are cursed. They're just extremely powerful and not really meant to be attached to a weak human.

Leknaat seems to do fine with hers. The rune of punishment is fine if you don't use it. The elemental runes seem to be fine. The dragon rune seems okay.
How can you say that none of them are cursed when every character in the game (including Leknaat) calls them cursed? And as I pointed out earlier in the thread, the dragon rune does indeed curse Joshua.
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

Depends on your definition of "curse". As I said, humans are frail beings and to them living forever is a curse. But do you really consider that a curse? I sure don't. I don't say they carry a curse, I say they carry major responsibility. With great power comes great responsibility right?

I think the pros of having a true rune far outweigh the cons. You get near unlimited power, eternal life, more than likely you're a Tenkai star so you have 107 friends (I don't have nearly that many friends), etc, etc...
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

Icegryphon wrote:Depends on your definition of "curse". As I said, humans are frail beings and to them living forever is a curse. But do you really consider that a curse? I sure don't. I don't say they carry a curse, I say they carry major responsibility. With great power comes great responsibility right?

I think the pros of having a true rune far outweigh the cons. You get near unlimited power, eternal life, more than likely you're a Tenkai star so you have 107 friends (I don't have nearly that many friends), etc, etc...

every single true rune has a curse....

the dragon rune curse is the responsibility of living and protecting that rune so that the dragon race doesn't go extinct

the rune of beginning seperates and makes each half fight each other

the Blue Moon rune turns you into the undead and makes you blood thirsty until you learn how to control it

Rune of punishment kills bearers like a plague until someone masters it

Soul eater steals souls and the bearer is forced to live alone

Sun rune drives its bearer insane

even if there are runes{such as the true elemental runes} that haven't been shown any specific curse other than aging...believe me they have a curse,all true runes have a curse.
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

You don't have to live alone with soul eater. Ted meets Tir and they're buddies.

Rune of punishment has a curse...until mastered, which lazlo did, so no longer cursed.

Dragon rune bears responsibility? If you die with it on all dragons die? Well...wouldn't you want to stay alive anyway? I think that's more of a privilege than a curse.

Rune of the Beginning does not make you fight. Because if you get the "good" ending from suiko2...you go off together as friends.
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

We could argue about what it means to be cursed, but that would get us nowhere, because people have different definitions, backgrounds and expectations. Honestly, it really makes absolutely no difference what you or I think a curse should be. Who cares if I think the definition of a curse is being turned into a pink rhinocerous because I hate the color pink, I hate dry skin, and I hate big noses. And who cares if you think a curse would mean being turned into an umbrella because you hate the rain.

The point is: EVERYONE in the game says that they're cursed.
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

Everyone in the game whines. ^_^

Oh and the bit about rhinoceros....that was hilarious.
WaterMoon

Post by WaterMoon »

Icegryphon wrote:You don't have to live alone with soul eater. Ted meets Tir and they're buddies.

Rune of punishment has a curse...until mastered, which lazlo did, so no longer cursed.

Dragon rune bears responsibility? If you die with it on all dragons die? Well...wouldn't you want to stay alive anyway? I think that's more of a privilege than a curse.

Rune of the Beginning does not make you fight. Because if you get the "good" ending from suiko2...you go off together as friends.
Yes, Ted meets Tir, and they know each other for a few years. But it still ate the souls of those around Ted. As for Tir having it, look at all the souls it ate: Ted's, Gremoio's, Teo's, and that's just over the course of the Scarlet Rune War. The only reason Tir was able to keep Gremio close by after Gremio was resurrected was because of the 108 stars helping cleanse it somewhat, or rather, cleanse Gremio so he would no longer be a target of it.

And the Rune of Beginning did make them fight. And yes, in that one ending they do conquer it, for a time. But what about 100 or 1000 years down the line? If even that long. Unlike Riou and Jowy, Nanami did not have even a portion of a true rune. When she dies of old age, will they be able to keep it together?

Which points out the single shared curse of all the true runes: immortality. You say it's great to live forever, and sure, it has its benefits, but you also have to watch those you love grow old, wither, and die, while you, the bearer, still remain eternally youthful. Which means you either avoid getting close to anyone to avoid that, and thus feel lonely, like the bearer of the Soul Eater often is, or you force yourself to keep having to feel that pain again and again.

As for your comment about a true rune bearer being a Tenkai, hardly the case. I can give 7 very good examples that we know for a fact aren't: Joshua with the Dragon Rune, as well as Hugo, Chris, Geddoe, Luc, and Sasarai with the True Elemental Runes (Thomas was the Tenkai there), and Yuber with the Eight Fold Rune. Likewise, we know that Jowy wasn't a Tenkai, and likely Arshtat, Windy, Leknaat, and many others were not.
"C'mon, Jeane! The ugly stick had its way with you! Admiiiiiiiiiit it!"
---------------------------------------------------------------
"What do you think,Your Highness? Does kidnapping your little sister sound like fun?"
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

Did I not point that out? I thought i did. IMO the only true curse that exists with all the runes is immortality, and possibly responsibility. I don't know how much I'd call that all cursed. To call a rune "a cursed rune" such as they call soul eater, it implies it's cursed whereas other runes are not.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Actually, I thought Konami said the two halves of the Rune of Beginning didn't grant agelessness? Riou, Jowy and Nanami would all age and die, thus leaving their two runes to find new bearers and start the fight anew until someone finally unites the two halves.

As for curses, one could view agelessness as a curse or a blessing. After at most a hundred years, you would definitely see most of your friends die of old age. After a few thousand years, you'll have completely lost your original culture.... and once the world ends with the final bearers roaming the world, you can be sure of that being a true curse.
Formerly known as: Gothann
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

People always say that being ageless is a curse cause all your friends would die. Well, chances are even if you age you'll still see all your friends die. You'll just die shortly after or before them or roughly the same time. So not much different to be ageless and find new friends and new experiences.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

But that's the point. You keep making friends, but they keep dying.

Some bearers seclude themselves, others band together with other bearers and some even relinquish their rune. It's no coincidence that very few stick around and blend in with the people, since them not aging would raise suspicion amongst people who would want to use the True Runes for evil or horrendous acts (Windy and Luc come to mind).
Formerly known as: Gothann
Belcoot4

Post by Belcoot4 »

I think Geddoe said it best "I'm stuck in pergatory." Which in a sense is a curse. Living forever, having knowledge of past holders, or knowledge that rune has collected over time with all that and dealing with the problems of every day life is a giant burden for anyone to carry, so calling it a curse sure fits. I can see the point where your friends die and you just keep making new ones but I think eventually as a rune bearer you have to face it as a curse. Hypotheticaly, if Jimba never lost his rune and died that would have meant Chris (Hugo is really the unaminous flamchampion) would have lived a mortal life, and her kids, and their kids, and their kids. So then you have Jimba here a great great great grandpa who has just seen his family over the years just die off. I mean nobody wants to die, but isnt nice to think that you will be where they have gone eventually. So its definitly a curse yet a gift at the sametime because if it werent for them the whole Suiko World would be one communist like place where countries would just take eachother over one after another.
"Even the dead reveal their secrets to me." Yuber

"I have not lived long enough to become a myth." Chris Lightfellow

"They betrayed us and fled. Cowards." Zegai