the strongest true rune so far?

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

Rune of Illusion wrote:Correction: the hydra should be a three headed golden dragon.
Is'nt a Hydra a name for a three headed dragon. Was'nt it described in Greek mythology as a dragon that had three heads and Hydra was its actual "name" like John or Pete.
PSX Emulator Questions are here, if you have problems. Ask and hopefully I can help. Formerly known as Seifer by the way.
Dura Sinai

Post by Dura Sinai »

Well but consider if the Soverign rune is indeed able to block all levels of rune magic, that can have other consequences. It is then pure defensive and thus anybody with an inkling of how to fight is likely to have few problems taking the person down> Bring in an army and it is over.

Or how about rune magic that might not directly affect the bearer but can have consequences on the surrounding. Summon a monster that can then beat to a pulp, or burn everything around so that inevitably it reaches the target. Or even cause an earthquake that could change the layout of the land via crevices and basically burying alive.

So there is actually a significant amount of balance even in something like that. Being safe from runes is only one part of battle.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

Dura Sinai wrote:Well but consider if the Soverign rune is indeed able to block all levels of rune magic, that can have other consequences. It is then pure defensive and thus anybody with an inkling of how to fight is likely to have few problems taking the person down> Bring in an army and it is over.
If this was a dispute between Rune Bearers then I would agree with you. But if the True Runes and thie bearers ONLY were fighting then the soveriegn rune would protect against any power. That is the strength of the sovereighn rune. Absolute immunity to all magic. Whether it be destructive or otherwise. Windy tried to use the black rune (which we can count as a type of affect rune) was useless. Then Windy tried to use the destructive power of the Gate Rune to kill barbarossa only to find it was useless against him which makes me think. I dont think the sovereign runes "protects" its bearer but simply stops the true rune from working when it's bearer is threatened, so area affect magic like the flame champion true fire incident would'nt have killed barbarossa.

Do you know what I mean? Even I'm a little confused now.
PSX Emulator Questions are here, if you have problems. Ask and hopefully I can help. Formerly known as Seifer by the way.
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

Well for one thing, all the 27 true runes have yet to be discovered, so there is really no way of telling yet. As for the ones that have been listed, each rune has it's strenghs and weaknesses, but a few stand out to me. Such as

The Rune of Beginning - The power to judge and/or end wars

Gate Rune - Able to channle different worlds and dimensions to transport various beings

Circle Rune - The power of order and stagnation

Sun Rune - able obliterate nations than renew them

Beast Rune - This rune...just because it's a personal favorite and it reminds me of Luca Blight for his animalistic rage and passion for it. I also like the fact that it doesn't need a host, that it can reside where it wants to be.

Sovereing - You're pretty much immune to runic magic. And you turn into a golden hydra

The other two are Rune of Punishment and SoulEater, but..another one listed which as to my prior knownledge has never been mention in a game(not the hachifusa/eightfold) and only been confirmed by the creators would be the Rune of Change, appararently held by the Sindar leader or was held by him. According to suikosource info the runes power is a mystery, but it has something to do with change and the universe. Just a thought, but that sounds pretty powerful, beyond just destroying capabilities..
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Bleahdom

Post by Bleahdom »

In terms of pure destructive power, I don't think anyone can deny that the Sun rune would be the most powerful. It's probably the only reason why you don't ever get the chance to use the rune in Suikoden V.
In all the games so far true runes have been immensely powerful in battle, but none of them can compare with the Sun rune that can seemingly end any war almost immediately.
But when it comes to actual power, I would surmise that all the true runes are more or less equal. Since we do not know if the Sun rune can overpower another true rune in combat.

Power is a hard thing to gauge unless you can compare everything together at the same time to be honest.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

Yes but if this was a battle between all the true runes then the dawn and twilight rune which would simply negate the power of the sun rune. Runes like the gate rune have weaknesses windy was stopped by Leknaat and Joshua. And I made this point earlier but when Tir wanted to use the Soul Eater Leknaat strictly forbid it despite the desperate situation they were in, makes you wonder?
TOAMN

Post by TOAMN »

But since the Rune of Beggining can end/judge war, no matter what happened in abattle, wouldn't the bearer of it always win? They'd just choose themselves as the victor, right?
Iris

Post by Iris »

I assume the Rune could judge the bearer defeated, considering it's sentient and has a will of its own.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

I think the True Runes can never be "controlled" but I beleive the right host can weild its power freely. Best example I can think of is Barbarossa. He was a shining example of absolute rule that the sovereing rune represented and her clearly weilded its power freely. As for the Rune of Punishment Lazlo had little control and I think if someone tried to use it to save themselves I think the rune would'nt go along. With Lazlo at least there will no doubt be a rune that will negate the rune of punishments power.
anokosa

Post by anokosa »

if i can just make a point, there isnt a 'strongest true rune'. they're all strong in one way or another.
Rune of Illusion

Post by Rune of Illusion »

That what Durai Sinai has been trying to get me to see. :)

Each rune has its own pluses and drawbacks. The Punishment rune grants increadible offensive powers, but it drains the bearers life and takes their soul looks like. The Soul Eater rune's power is based on the number of souls that has been absorbed into it. Those souls are generally the people closest to the bearer, Sun Rune is too unstable without the Dawn and Twilight Runes nearby, The Blue Moon Rune, correct me if I am wrong but, is supposed to grant immunity to both physical and magical attacks( according to Viktor), but it appearently needs a sacrifice to use its powers, also when first chosen by this rune it turns the bearer into a bloodthirsty murder until the bearer gains mastery over it. In short, each True Rune is able to cause great destruction but they all have balancing factors to them so no one rune is better than another.
you can learn more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
EternalOnslaught

Rune of Illusion wrote:That what Durai Sinai has been trying to get me to see. :)

Each rune has its own pluses and drawbacks. The Punishment rune grants increadible offensive powers, but it drains the bearers life and takes their soul looks like. The Soul Eater rune's power is based on the number of souls that has been absorbed into it. Those souls are generally the people closest to the bearer, Sun Rune is too unstable without the Dawn and Twilight Runes nearby, The Blue Moon Rune, correct me if I am wrong but, is supposed to grant immunity to both physical and magical attacks( according to Viktor), but it appearently needs a sacrifice to use its powers, also when first chosen by this rune it turns the bearer into a bloodthirsty murder until the bearer gains mastery over it. In short, each True Rune is able to cause great destruction but they all have balancing factors to them so no one rune is better than another.
I will agree with that, we haven't even discovered all of them yet! And even if we did, they would probably cancel each other out. So, to say that all 27 true runes would fight each other, they would either fight for all of eternity or all of them would obliterate themselves, more likely causing armageddon. Really...the true runes are like Gods of the suikoden world, they are different but equal.
Rune of Illusion

Post by Rune of Illusion »

If they all were to fight each other it would be another Sword and Shield fight with no real victor.
you can learn more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
Rezard

Post by Rezard »

I'm confused about the sun rune's power.

When used to destroy Old Armes, did it cause a grand explosion (same as true fire) or did it change the climate to create an habitat where no life can exist (like Lordlake)?

It´s simple: People were killed imediataly by great explosion or died slowly by sun burn and hunger in a desert with no water and food?
EternalOnslaught

Rezard wrote:I'm confused about the sun rune's power.

When used to destroy Old Armes, did it cause a grand explosion (same as true fire) or did it change the climate to create an habitat where no life can exist (like Lordlake)?

It´s simple: People were killed imediataly by great explosion or died slowly by sun burn and hunger in a desert with no water and food?
I'm going to say, both. But probably more destructive than the true fire rune, but I am pretty sure it scorched the entire kingdom and made it desolate and uninhabitable for a period of time before the sun rune nourished it back to life.