Is the rune of punishment as powerful as the sun rune?

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Futch

Post by Futch »

I think they focused on the curse of the Souleater and didn't bother to make the other True Runes complex.
SIV POSSIBLE SPOILER

In IV, the Rune of Punishment has a HUGE curse; the baerer dies unless he can get it to enter its forgiveness phase (where it stops draining energy when used), which does not happen often.

Also, in SV, the Sun rune DOES have a curse, but it affects more than just the bearer. It drives the bearer power mad and convinces them that they are a god and that all shall bow to their power Mwahahahaha, etc., causing them to unleash the runes power unjustly on any who piss 'em off.

The True Rune of Fire also has a curse, though it is not as obvious. The runes ambitions are so powerful that often it will completley take over the bearer and force him/her to do the Runes will. The other True Runes of the Elements had curses to, but I'm not altogether sure what.

I haven't played II, so I don't know what the curse is.
Everyone loves Dragons. Cause If they don't.... >;(
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Futch wrote:The True Rune of Fire also has a curse, though it is not as obvious. The runes ambitions are so powerful that often it will completley take over the bearer and force him/her to do the Runes will. The other True Runes of the Elements had curses to, but I'm not altogether sure what.

I haven't played II, so I don't know what the curse is.
Do you mean the True Wind Rune? It's the one that drove Luc to go all villian and try to destroy everything. The True Fire Rune just got out of control and scorched the countryside couple times.

The (true) Beast Rune needed to be fed people. The Rune of Beginning created antagonists out of the bearers its two halves.

Yeah, true runes aren't pretty.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

The Rune of Beginning created antagonists out of the bearers its two halves.

I'm pretty sure that that is not the curse of the Begining Rune but merely of the Bright Shield and Dark Sword Rune. Its very likely that the Begining rune has another (but unknown) curse.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Wraith wrote: I'm pretty sure that that is not the curse of the Begining Rune but merely of the Bright Shield and Dark Sword Rune. Its very likely that the Begining rune has another (but unknown) curse.
Really? I thought sword VS shield was pretty obvious. That is how the original story started right? I thought it carried the antagonism down through its bearers too and it wasn't until one killed the other that it could be united again.

Edit: Anyway, we're getting off topic.
Futch

Post by Futch »

Do you mean the True Wind Rune? It's the one that drove Luc to go all villian and try to destroy everything. The True Fire Rune just got out of control and scorched the countryside couple times.
If you read the Manga by Aki Shimizu, Geddoe gives Hugo a big warning speech about the ambitions of the True Fire rune after it attatches itself to Hugo in the Flame Champ hideawy. (in the manga, Hugo gets the rune simply because it is easiest storywise; Geddoe already has the True Lightning rune and Chris's father the Water)
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Futch wrote:SIV POSSIBLE SPOILER

In IV, the Rune of Punishment has a HUGE curse; the baerer dies unless he can get it to enter its forgiveness phase (where it stops draining energy when used), which does not happen often.
There's another easier way to avoid losing your life to the rune: do not use it.
Futch

Post by Futch »

Yes, well, *Ahem* there's that...
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

patapi wrote:
Futch wrote:SIV POSSIBLE SPOILER

There's another easier way to avoid losing your life to the rune: do not use it.
Which would have been a nice option in Suikoden IV. Well it *was* an option, but it wasn't one you were allowed to stick to.
Kirin

Post by Kirin »

(MORE SIV SPOILERS)

Unless you count the ending where you decide to simply stay on the desert island... presumably then the hero doesn't need to use it anymore.

(Well, until Kooluk takes over the entire region because the Island Nations were never founded, and presumably one day finds and annexes the island... I suppose that's why it's a "bad" ending. :wink: )
Red XIV

Post by Red XIV »

Basel wrote:It is mentioned in the game that no other True Rune can come closer to Falena due to the power of the Sun Rune. This is a clear indicatoin that the Sun Rune is more powerful than other True Runes.
And yet, Leknaat can show up in Falena. If the Sun Rune can force away other True Runes, surely it would have no difficulty doing so with half of a True Rune.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Red XIV wrote:
Basel wrote:It is mentioned in the game that no other True Rune can come closer to Falena due to the power of the Sun Rune. This is a clear indicatoin that the Sun Rune is more powerful than other True Runes.
And yet, Leknaat can show up in Falena. If the Sun Rune can force away other True Runes, surely it would have no difficulty doing so with half of a True Rune.
EDIT:I'm confused by Basel's statement now. Did you mean in terms of proximitry? That True Runes cannot come close to the Sun Rune itself?
Basel

Post by Basel »

Yes, in terms of proximity. I believe it was either Leknaat or Zweig that mentioned that point.
Last edited by Basel on Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The real issue is not TALENT as an independent element, but talent in relationship to WILL, DESIRE, AND PERSISTENCE. Talent without these things VANISHES and even modest talent with those characteristics GROWS..." -Milton Glaser
anokosa

Post by anokosa »

I think Leknaats half of a true rune, even though it's only a half, can penetrate defences of any rune, as Leknaat seems to try to stop the true runes curses.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Sun Rune and Night Rune supposedly maintained a symbiotic relationship once. That wouldn't work if the former's power was supposed to so strong that no other True Rune could get near it.

In fact, I'd appreciate a direct quote.
YouKnowYouGeddoe

Post by YouKnowYouGeddoe »

Do you mean the True Wind Rune? It's the one that drove Luc to go all villian and try to destroy everything.
I could be wrong, and please don't hesitate to call me out if so, but I don't think it was the TWR itself that drove Luc to destruction. I always got the impression that it was some sort of existential angst induced by the revelation that he was created in the Harmonian equivalent of a test tube to hold the rune.

My suspicion is that if the TWR had such a curse, the other true elemental runes would be similarly imbued.
We conjugate verbs and constipate nerds like you.