Which ending do you want to be canon?*spoilers*

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Spudtrooper

Which ending do you want to be canon?*spoilers*

Post by Spudtrooper »

I'm personally leaning towards the Help Lym rebuild ending, it just seems to make more sense for the Prince to help rebuild his war scarred nation instead of leaving with Georg and abandoning his little sister.
Komataguri

Re: Which ending do you want to be canon?*spoilers*

Post by Komataguri »

Spudtrooper wrote:I'm personally leaning towards the Help Lym rebuild ending, it just seems to make more sense for the Prince to help rebuild his war scarred nation instead of leaving with Georg and abandoning his little sister.
Helping Lym rebuilt and becoming commander of the queens knights is obviously the one that will become cannon.

Just like the ending of suiko1 with gremio surviving has become canon, or the ending of suiko2 with jowy, nanami and riou wandering off together became canon, or the survival of Lazlo and his mastery of the RoP is cannon.
Darian

Post by Darian »

Komataguri wrote:
Spudtrooper wrote:I'm personally leaning towards the Help Lym rebuild ending, it just seems to make more sense for the Prince to help rebuild his war scarred nation instead of leaving with Georg and abandoning his little sister.
Helping Lym rebuilt and becoming commander of the queens knights is obviously the one that will become cannon.

Just like the ending of suiko1 with gremio surviving has become canon, or the ending of suiko2 with jowy, nanami and riou wandering off together became canon, or the survival of Lazlo and his mastery of the RoP is cannon.
I fail to see how that makes it "obvious." Nobody dies in either of the two happy SV endings.

Personally, I hope the wandering off with Georg ending is canon. I think it makes more sense that the Prince would want to settle down with Lyon, which is what he eventually does in the Georg ending.
Komataguri

Post by Komataguri »

Darian wrote:
Komataguri wrote:

I fail to see how that makes it "obvious." Nobody dies in either of the two happy SV endings.

Personally, I hope the wandering off with Georg ending is canon. I think it makes more sense that the Prince would want to settle down with Lyon, which is what he eventually does in the Georg ending.

Him wandering off with George and Lyon makes more sense than him helping his little sister, whom he loves, rule the nation, which he loves and fought for.

Yeah, ok. :roll:
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Him wandering off with George and Lyon makes more sense than him helping his little sister, whom he loves, rule the nation, which he loves and fought for.
Well it does make more sense. All tenkai's(exept Thomas, but thats obvious) run away. Why would this one be any different?
Darian

Post by Darian »

Komataguri wrote:

Yeah, ok. :roll:
Nice deflection. :roll:

Maybe next time you can actually make an attempt to justify your "obvious" and therefore correct statement. I'll ask again: How is his ruling the nation with Lym "just like" any of the endings you listed in which the only correlating element is that a character who would otherwise die does not?

Those endings do not justify your claim.
Lurker1

Post by Lurker1 »

Wraith wrote:

Well it does make more sense. All tenkai's(exept Thomas, but thats obvious) run away. Why would this one be any different?

Ok sorry Im new and you have been her longer but I fail to see why that would make a difference.

Tir ran off because of his rune Soul Eater

Rio and Jowy ran off because of hardship they had gone through and because their home was part of highland they had not reason to stay there. Rio and his sisters adopted father had passed away, and Jowy didn't have a good relationship with his parents anyway they basiclly disowned him.

The prince doesn't have to worry about his rune he doesn't bear in anymore and he has no reason to run off.He loves his sister and his country there is no logical reason for him to leave and all kinds of reasons for him to stay. He has a responsiblity to his country he is a prince and his personality throughout the game shows that he understand this. Also why would he abandon his sister (who he is close to and loves )at a time when she needs him the most?

Sorry but it makes no logical sense to have him go off on some journey like the other heros did
Last edited by Lurker1 on Tue May 23, 2006 1:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Darian

Post by Darian »

Lurker1 wrote:
The prince doesn't have to worry about his rune he doesn't bear in anymore and he has no reason to run off.He loves his sister and his country there is no logical reason for him to leave and all kinds of reasons for him to stay. He has a responsiblity to his country he is a prince and his personality throughout the game shows that he understand this. Also why would he abandon his sister (who he is close to and loves )at a time when she needs him the most?

Sorry but it makes no logical sense to have him go off on some journey like the other heros did.
I already discussed this ad-nauseum in another topic but I'll restate my reasons here:

Falena remains a Queendom and a Queendom in peace at that. This is hardly a time when Lym "needs him most" I think the whole being kidnapped and used to incite a civil war thing was when she needed him most (call me crazy - I know). The Prince has absolutely no role to play in its government other than as a symbol.

Lym and her many aides are more than capable of running Falena on their own. Commander of the Queen's Knights isn't exactly an administrative position.

The character epilogue clearly states that the Prince ended his wanderings. It's entirely possible and I think likely that he would return to Falena.

I think it makes more sense that the Prince would want to settle down with Lyon than remain in Falenan politics. The Prince was thrown into leading an army and half a nation when he otherwise wouldn't have been more than a royal liason like Sialeeds.

I don't find it unreasonable that the Prince would want to travel and explore other lands. He has never in his life been outside of Falena (this is completely baseless, though, and merely derived from my thoughts on basic human nature).

If the Prince stays in Falena he's "that guy who won the Civil war." He's a symbol who is useless and benign in the actual government of the country and he simply isn't needed there any longer. I just think it would make more sense that the Prince would take some time to himself, maybe find a place that does need him, and ultimately spend the rest of his days living in much-deserved peace with Lyon.

There is never any mention of him abandoning Falena or Lym (I don't know where people get this just because the guy takes a damn vacation).

EDIT Alot of this I based just on how I projected myself onto the character, too, which is kinda the point of having a silent protagonist anyway.

And finally, sense or no sense, the topic of this thread is which do you want to be canon, not which will be canon.
Lurker1

Post by Lurker1 »

Falena remains a Queendom and a Queendom in peace at that. This is hardly a time when Lym "needs him most" I think the whole being kidnapped and used to incite a civil war thing was when she needed him most (call me crazy - I know). The Prince has absolutely no role to play in its government other than as a symbol.
Your right that was when she needed him the most but whats to say that she doesn't need him to be there now even if it is for more emotional support. Also I don't think being a commander of the Queens Knights is just a symbolic postion like it was in the past. Ferid had some impact on the decisions that were made even if it was just by suggesting them to Arstat.
Lym and her many aides are more than capable of running Falena on their own. Commander of the Queen's Knights isn't exactly an administrative position.
Again you are right but about them being able to run the country without him but I still think he would want to be there to help her and it would make her more comfortable if he was. I not sure I would trust anyone after what happened. Also again I don't thing the Commander of the Queens Knights is just a symbolic postion like it was in the past. Ferid was very much involved in the political side of it , I don't see the prince being any different.
The character epilogue clearly states that the Prince ended his wanderings. It's entirely possible and I think likely that he would return to Falena.
I have only played it once so if this is part of the other ending it makes sense and I have nothing to say about it.

I think it makes more sense that the Prince would want to settle down with Lyon than remain in Falenan politics. The Prince was thrown into leading an army and half a nation when he otherwise wouldn't have been more than a royal liason like Sialeeds.
I see this as all the more reason he would want to stay and help rebuild the nation so something like this wouldn't happen again. I think I makes more sense that he would do everything that he could to prevent it and the only way he could do that is by staying and being involved reguardless of his personal feelings
I don't find it unreasonable that the Prince would want to travel and explore other lands. He has never in his life been outside of Falena (this is completely baseless, though, and merely derived from my thoughts on basic human nature).
I have not auguement on this other then the fact that it just seems self serving and he didn't strike me as the type but each is in titled to their views :D
If the Prince stays in Falena he's "that guy who won the Civil war." He's a symbol who is useless and benign in the actual government of the country and he simply isn't needed there any longer. I just think it would make more sense that the Prince would take some time to himself, maybe find a place that does need him, and ultimately spend the rest of his days living in much-deserved peace with Lyon.
They do need him again like i said I don't think he would be viewed as a symbolic figure anymore people would listen to what he had to say about things that involve the welfare of the country and Lym more then anyone.
There is never any mention of him abandoning Falena or Lym (I don't know where people get this just because the guy takes a damn vacation).
It just would not be the right time that all I am saying if he did it later on then I see no problem with it but civil war can hurt a nation more then anything( the USA civil war is a perfect example). This is time when Lym would need someone like him to be around.
EDIT Alot of this I based just on how I projected myself onto the character, too, which is kinda the point of having a silent protagonist anyway.
Ya Its the same with me and the points I am trying to make but actions in the game can tell you alot about the character of the hero especially in this one.
And finally, sense or no sense, the topic of this thread is which do you want to be canon, not which will be canon.
True but a good descussion about things is alway interesting. Hope you don't take this as trying to prove anyone wrong just my point of view on the subject :D
xXSqualleoNXx

Post by xXSqualleoNXx »

The prince never seemed like one who liked to wander that much. in the Bad ending, he wander because he is still feeling remorse over Lyon's death. So he decided to explore the world.

But let's look at it this way. You won a war in which you were an active and willing leader, contrary to prior heroes who were dragged into leadership position. Your enemies fear you, everyone trusts you and looks at you as an incredible Commander. Even Cathari mentions that many countries had their eyes set on the Prince's actions. He was feared and respected by people OUTSIDE of Falena. I say the fact he is monitored for his leadership skills would kind of put a damp on exploring the world carefree. What if one of the enemies of Falena decided to take the plunge and kill him off?

So, you put the fact the heroes led carefree lives afterward as prove that the Prince left. But, in Suiko III all the heroes remained as pillars of leadership in their respective places. In Suiko IV, Lazlo remained in Obel as an underling of Lino. Even if we don't know of his fate, as far as we know, he remained in the Island Nations.

Now, Falena has just gone through this massive Civil War which drained resources and put the country on edge. Queen Lymsleia is too young, and not that respected, since she is a newbie Queen who was originally manipulated by the Godwins. So, in order to actually hold leadership, respect and stability, a figure of power and respect must be placed. What better person for this than the Prince himself, the victor of the Civil War, benevolent warrior who saved Falena. And the Prince never showed any kind of wanderlust during the game. He only fervently desired to protect his land and right wrongs. So, why would he leave after fighting so hard to save his sister and take Falena back? It just doesn't seem like his nature to do such a thing. It would be more in his nature to help his beloved sister and homeland.

Plus, last nail in the coffin. The over the top ending when the Prince, Lyon and Georg leave Falena. Why, or how, the hell would all the Stars of Destiny reuinite to give them a goodbye? It was so fake and over the top that I just can't picture that as a Canon ending.
Hmm...
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

I just can't see the Prince stay in Falena. The prince is a blank character, and you are supposed to give him a personality. In my case, he would wander. Thats the problem with Tenkai's(exept Thomas...), you have to give them a personality, so you can't really predict any canon decisions that he will make since most people's view on the prince's personality differs.
Darian

Post by Darian »

Wraith wrote:I just can't see the Prince stay in Falena. The prince is a blank character, and you are supposed to give him a personality. In my case, he would wander. Thats the problem with Tenkai's(exept Thomas...), you have to give them a personality, so you can't really predict any canon decisions that he will make since most people's view on the prince's personality differs.
That's exactly how I feel. My Prince would never have remained in Falena after everything he went through. The country is in more than capable hands and doesn't really need that much rebuilding (just Lelcar and Lordlake) and damnit, if anybody deserves a break, it's me; I can do more good in other lands anyway, like Georg. I want to discover my roots in the Island Nations, learn about the world outside Falena, and live happily ever after with Lyon. The only threat to Falena now is Nagrea who wouldn't dare to try anything anyway now that Falena and New Armes are allies. I don't want to spend the rest of my days holding down a desk job.
DeathQuaker

Post by DeathQuaker »

Wraith wrote:I just can't see the Prince stay in Falena. The prince is a blank character, and you are supposed to give him a personality. In my case, he would wander. Thats the problem with Tenkai's(exept Thomas...), you have to give them a personality, so you can't really predict any canon decisions that he will make since most people's view on the prince's personality differs.
BUT, OTOH, the question was what is Konami going to decide what the "official" (ish) ending is going to be? It's ironic when you say "all the Tenkai wander" when that's ONLY true according to the various novelizations and references to the previous Suikoden stories ("Riou" for example, does not "wander" in all the endings the game has but does for the "canon" one)--but then argue that it should be left up in the air according to how you envision your hero. (For the record, I agree that by deciding on an "official" ending they do take away some of the autonomy of the player. They may as well give the freakin' heroes a voice.) You have to accept that maybe all the multiple endings are "true" in some way, or accept that there will be a "canon" ending and it may not be the one you liked best.

And at the same time, I don't think the "official" ending should necessarily be that "Prince wanders" JUST because a lot of the other Suikoden heroes do. Frankly, I'd like to give the Suikoden writers better credit than just defaulting to the same old thing all the time. That doesn't mean I don't think that should be the ending--I just don't think that should be the REASON they might choose that ending. If they choose for him to wander, they need to make sure it makes sense, not just do it out of some pointless sense of "tradition."

The characters that wander have reason to. McDohl has a NASTY True Rune; it behaves best under his control, but I don't blame him from wanting to try to stay away from as many people as possible. As a leader, he exposes a lot of important people to Souleater and simultaneously sets himself up as a target for someone who wants to get Souleater; after he saw what happened to Barbarossa I doubt he wants to deal with that. As for "Riou," he was always clearly set up as a figurehead, and it was clear from the get-go what was most important to him was his friendship--and moreover, if he didn't work to focus on mending his relationship with Jowy, who knows whether Bright Shield and Black Sword would come to clash again? So leaving behind responsibilities thrust upon him that he never asked for to focus on Jowy (and his sister) makes sense for the character and the story.

Thomas stays, likewise, because that's what he'd do. He has no reason to leave. Likewise, though they are not Tenkai, ALL of the main heroes of Suiko III stay or prepare to enter the leadership positions and responsibilities they are given--Chris continues to lead the Zexen Knights and accepts the captainship (something she was originally reluctant to do), Geddoe continues to command the SFDF, and Hugo eventually becomes Chief. So there's four examples in one game of leaders and/or important True Rune bearers who DON'T wander off.

"Lazlo" has good reason to avoid people where he can, much like McDohl--he has his rune under control, but if he is killed, it would probably revert to its cursed state, and he understands how awful that could be. So he's not going to stick around in large groups and make himself a target; he's going to remain aloof for the good of everyone. That said, clearly he doesn't just "run away" either--obviously he stays somewhat nearby to help out during times of need, such as during Kyril's quest to destroy the Rune Cannons. He probably doesn't _really_ wander off until after his friends are growing older and he is not (I get the vague sense that by the time Suiko V takes place, he is definitely gone from the Island Nations, as Bernadette speaks of the Rune of Punishment mostly as legend... unless he has stuck around but is just good at masking who he is).

Really, particularly for Lazlo and McDohl, both of them are ageless and may be drawn to wandering so they do not have to watch their loved ones grow old and die while they remain young. And they don't really have the option of giving up their True Runes (the way the first Flame Champion did) to stay with their loved ones because that would simply invite potentially disastrous consequences. SoulEater and the ROP are not runes that should just be floating around out there, and the heroes know that.

So keeping all that in mind, we look at the Prince of Falena. He _doesn't_ have a True Rune--so no worries about him not growing old or keeping a horrible curse at bay by keeping a rune imbued upon him. In fact, the way to keep the Curse of the Sun Rune at bay is to ensure that Dawn and Twilight stay damn well where they're supposed to be in Falena, right next to the Sun Rune. So if he feels obligated to protect the Sun Rune and stop its curse (just as other Tenkai stars felt obligated to guard powerful cursed true runes), then it's more logical for him to STAY in Falena to protect the Runes. Like Thomas, Chris, Geddoe, and Hugo, he is born to and/or given a great responsibility to stay and lead something; he is a member of the Falenan Royal Family which lives on--considering exactly what he fought for was its preservation, why would he abandon it now? He is not the son of a now defunct military structure or orphan from a land destroyed by war only temporarily put in command of an army and largely as a figurehead put in place by a Silverberg or Silverberg-esque tactician (which actually qualifies for both Riou and Lazlo)... there is lots there for him to stay behind.

If he were to wander, why would he wander? Seeing the world? Fine, for a little while--particularly if it involves improving diplomatic relations. Lyon? It's clear to me from both good endings that he "gets the girl" so that doesn't matter--either way she remains by his side. So that point is moot. If he DOES wander because he needs to get away from it all--understandable--I imagine he will be like Lazlo--ready to resurface when he is needed. And as others have pointed out, his wanderings DO come to an end. AFAIK, that's stated as true in any of the endings where he leaves. So no matter what, the wandering is only temporary--even if it is the "true" end.

Edited quite a bit for actually trying to make what I said make some semblance of sense.
Illigitimi non carborundum
Darian

Post by Darian »

DeathQuaker wrote:
BUT, OTOH, the question was what is Konami going to decide what the "official" (ish) ending is going to be?
Er... no it isn't. It's what do you want the canon ending to be.

Or am I missing something? O_o
Kirin

Post by Kirin »

Ok, since people want to hear what "we want" here's my take on the epilogue:

I think the Prince (or "my Prince" if you like) would stick around for a while. Lym has shown great courage and intelligence, but she *is* still ten; she'll need the help of lots of trustworthy people for a while. Furthermore, since the Prince was just the leader in the civil war, having him stick around in a highly visible position should re-assure the populace (or at least the vast majority who had come around to supporting the Prince by the end of the war) that things will be stable and peaceful.

But actually I think the *most* compelling reason is re-building the Queen's Knights as an institution. With Galleon retired, George and Kyle gone travelling, and Ferid, Zahhak and Alenia all dead, Miakis is the only one left other the the Prince and Lyon with any Queen's Knight experience at all, and she'll be spending full time as Lym's assistant. I think it makes tons of sense for the Prince to stick around as the Knight Captain until such time as he can train up a good set of new Knights. (We already know we've got Toma and some other capable newcomers applying for the job, but it'll take some time for them to mature.)

Once a good crop is in place, in maybe 5 to 10 years, I'd expect him to pick the best of them to succeed him as Captain and retire. *Then* he and Lym would be free to travel a while (they'd still be in their 20's, so they'd have plenty of time), visit the Island Nations and other interesting places, and probably (hopefully) eventually settle down to a peaceful life somewhere back in Falena. That's my ideal ending.