Curses and True runes

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Rezard

Curses and True runes

Post by Rezard »

Do you guys thing that all True runes have a curse?

For the past Suikodens we’ve been seeing lots True Runes and the ones better explained showed curses of some kind(Soul Eater - Steal the lives of your friends, True beginning - makes 2 best friends fight each other, RoP - steals the life of it’s bearer, etc.)

If we make a little effort, we can see curses in the other runes too. What do you think?
Wraith

Re: Curses and True runes

Post by Wraith »

Rezard wrote:Do you guys thing that all True runes have a curse?

For the past Suikodens we’ve been seeing lots True Runes and the ones better explained showed curses of some kind(Soul Eater - Steal the lives of your friends, True beginning - makes 2 best friends fight each other, RoP - steals the life of it’s bearer, etc.)

If we make a little effort, we can see curses in the other runes too. What do you think?
This is going to turn into a list topic( eventhough it is that already) so its very likely going to get locked. Though I'l contribute because the mods might think otherwise.

ALL True Runes have a curse. Though not all directly affect the bearer's mentally or physicly but sometimes just psychologically. To give an example

NOTE: I'l keep out Suikoden 5 spoilers until it gets moved, wich it should considering that S5 has a cool curse.

The True Lightning Rune did not have a readily apparent curse. But the agelessness given by the True Rune did affect Geddoe psychologically.

The Moon Rune affects the bearer mentally. The bearer goes into a killing frenzy until the bearer gains mastery over the Moon Rune.

The Rune of Punishment affects the bearer physicly. It drains the bearers live until it gets 'mastered'.

The other elemental runes do not seem to have a direct curse. But you can see that the Runes itself did affect Luc and Geddoe immensly so its just a matter of time until Hugo and Chris feel the effects.

The Rune of the Begining has another curse than you stated. But it isn't known. The curse you described was that of the DBR and the BSR, wich are considered different runes.

Dragon Rune also dousn't seem to affect the bearer directly.

The Gate Rune's curse is also unknown.

The Soul Eater eats souls... /sigh i'm tired.
Philweasel

Re: Curses and True runes

Post by Philweasel »

Wraith wrote: Dragon Rune also dousn't seem to affect the bearer directly.
I think having the lives of all dragons dependent on your life is curse enough. I mean, the bearer would be wrapped in plastic his whole life.

The Elemental runes don't seem to have curses, but they do have will. It's noticeable that the people who had them for a period of time seemed to reflect the rune in their personalities, if only a little. They also, like other True Runes, seem to curse the bearer into a rather wandering existance (With the exception of Sarasai)
Rezard

Post by Rezard »

I agree with you Wraith about every true rune having a curse, yet this isn’t discussed very often in the forums and I started to wonder if everybody agrees with this.

For instance, the felling Luc has in Suikoden III, that he is imprisoned by fate and the only way to escape from it is by causing great destruction...
Is this not also a true rune’s curse?
Sasarai825

Post by Sasarai825 »

If the elemental runes had a curse, it hasn't been revealed yet. Luc's agony over his fate is understandable. He was created to hold a rune for eternity, not something it'd want to be created for. Geddoe suffers more from an unfortunate side effect of the rune. It might be fun at first to be ageless, but when you see everyone else changing and dying around you, it kinda gets to you after a while. It's like what the first Flame Champion did. He removed the rune so he could live a natural life with Sana.
Sickpup

Post by Sickpup »

I think living forever is far worse then any other 'curse'. You have to watch all your friends age and eventually die when you really can't. Sounds rough.
"Master Flik, you are immature. But that immaturity, that honesty was something I coveted.

And I'm sure that is why Lady Odessa loved you..."
Ushiku

Post by Ushiku »

Sickpup wrote:I think living forever is far worse then any other 'curse'. You have to watch all your friends age and eventually die when you really can't. Sounds rough.
If you put that into perspective, I suppose being a True Rune bearer is a curse in itself, and that other True Rune specific curses are an added burden. Lino En Kuldes was great in Suikoden 4 when he spoke of the power of True Runes and how they are dangerous in the wrong hands, but due to their power people are attracted to them.

Perhaps True Runes are magnets for those destined to influence fate, whether it be in a negative or positive light. I wonder if Hikusaak's Circle Rune's curse is for a repetitive circle of a life. Because although he defeated the Kingdom of Aronia, it is unknown whether the title Hero's War is accurate or whether since he was the victor, he could rewrite history. This has been shown in dictatorships in real life history, even as far back as ancient China and their first unified emporer Qin, more recently with Nazi Germany and Communist Russia.
Maybe the order and stagnation means that although there is supreme order from that True Rune, powerful people and those with powerful country can stagnate. For instance Harmonia itself seems to be to use the cliche' "going round in circles" because they just conquer a place, have a civil war, lose land, gain land by conquest. Its like a never ending circle of order and stagnation. The conquering creates order, and civil wars and loss of land are caused by stagnation.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
maha_gnosis

Post by maha_gnosis »

Sasarai825 wrote:If the elemental runes had a curse, it hasn't been revealed yet. Luc's agony over his fate is understandable. He was created to hold a rune for eternity, not something it'd want to be created for. Geddoe suffers more from an unfortunate side effect of the rune. It might be fun at first to be ageless, but when you see everyone else changing and dying around you, it kinda gets to you after a while. It's like what the first Flame Champion did. He removed the rune so he could live a natural life with Sana.
Elemental Rune have their curse, but... may be weakness not curse?...
See this?
Fire -> wind -> earth -> lightning -> water -> fire
I may have been wrong... but hasn't Luc been able to take Geddoe's True Rune, in which he used True Earth Rune?

Then again, Sasarai has been beaten twice by Luc (or more?)
Luc has been defeated by 2nd Flame Champion.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

maha_gnosis wrote:
Elemental Rune have their curse, but... may be weakness not curse?...
See this?
Fire -> wind -> earth -> lightning -> water -> fire
I may have been wrong... but hasn't Luc been able to take Geddoe's True Rune, in which he used True Earth Rune?

Then again, Sasarai has been beaten twice by Luc (or more?)
Luc has been defeated by 2nd Flame Champion.
Not really. That applies to the target's element. If the enemy is made out of ice you KNOW he's gonna be weak to fire. But in theory, all True Runes are equally powerfull including the Elemental Runes.

And Luc was able to take Geddoe's rune by magic in general(Sarah's sindaring speach and the True Runes and the crystals.).
maha_gnosis

Post by maha_gnosis »

I believe the crystal was used only as a holder of a true rune?

Well, How come each target has element if they aren't effected by the true elemental runes?
afterall true runes affect all.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

maha_gnosis wrote:I believe the crystal was used only as a holder of a true rune?

Well, How come each target has element if they aren't effected by the true elemental runes?
afterall true runes affect all.
If the True Fire Rune can overpower the True Water Rune it would completely undermine the theory that all True Runes are equal in power.
Ushiku

Post by Ushiku »

I think it means equal in the quantity of power, however each True Rune has a different quality, a unique aspect which it governs.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
Sickpup

Post by Sickpup »

But I think the reason Luc beats Sasarai and Geddoe is not because Wind trumps Earth and Lightning. But Luc is just a stronger mage then they are. And has nothing to do with affinity.

And saying the Flame Champion beats Luc is sort of wrong because he does it with the help of his 103 allies.
"Master Flik, you are immature. But that immaturity, that honesty was something I coveted.

And I'm sure that is why Lady Odessa loved you..."
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Sickpup wrote:But I think the reason Luc beats Sasarai and Geddoe is not because Wind trumps Earth and Lightning. But Luc is just a stronger mage then they are. And has nothing to do with affinity.

And saying the Flame Champion beats Luc is sort of wrong because he does it with the help of his 103 allies.
Actually, it had alot more to do with Sarah than with Luc. Without Sarah, Luc wouldn't have been able to do anything. Sarah could use runes without bearing them. Like shown with the True Runes in those crystals.
maha_gnosis

Post by maha_gnosis »

http://www.karthurville.com/scans/sasaraiscans/

I hope I could read it -_-

Well, in the last battle the FC didn't come with other 103...

Sarah can use magic that are undocumented... so her magic is really another thing. It might not come from true runes...