A more..modern Suikoden?

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
DeadStreetApostle

A more..modern Suikoden?

Post by DeadStreetApostle »

Yo, this is my first thread...and I think this section would be the most appropriate for it.

I wanted to point out the various easter eggs that linked a couple of Konami's more popular franchises and if they were just that or if they could possibly imply something else.

I'll start with the espionage action title Metal Gear Solid for the PS1 released in 1998. It wouldn't be so far-fetched to reference an rpg about countries at war in this title because Metal Gear's plot revolves around war aswell. The easter egg that stands out the most would be a character you meet about half way into the game by the name of Meryl Silverburgh. After Suikoden 1(released in 1996 I believe) the name Silverburg was forever etched in my memory and despite the one letter difference, it triggered a reaction right away. Thinking deeper into the matter It came to my attention that Meryl was the niece of the a military figure, Colonel Campbell. The relationship with Mathiu (or better yet Leon) and Odessa came to mind and the similarities were too much to ignore. While this could of been a simple homage by the designers of MGS, I'd almost like to think the legacy of the Silverburg's lives on in this fashion...Though MGS is set in current time and current..world and Suikoden gives no sign of taking place on Earth that I know of. :x
ALSO I know there was a part of MGS where Psycho Mantis reads your memory card and comments on your choice of games be it Castlevania ( that's the one he read for me) Or Gradius or anything Konami related.. but I'm not sure if he commented on a Suikoden 1 file save or not.

As for the next one I have no hunches for but I found very funny and a bit creepy considering the reference in general BUT it did help me win a bet. :D

In Suikoden 2 (1999) while in Greenhill if you walk to the set of yellow(?) flowers on the first right side path and check on them some dialogue will come up and say "Dahlias" as in the kind of flower you're looking at. checking 2 or 3 sets of flowers more to the right will give you the dialogue " Dahlia Gillespie" referencing the old woman from the Silent Hill series! I thought that was purdy damn cool ;D~ Silent Hill rocks.

MY QUESTION FINALLY 'CAUSE I TOOK FOREVER: Since Konami took the risk in taking Suikoden way back when to the past, would it make any sense to see a more modern Suikoden set in today's time? True Rune users/Solid Snake/Alucard Stars of Destiny anyone? >_>;; Wishful thinking.
riou83

easter eggs

Post by riou83 »

spoiler

I know in metal gear solid, Psychomantis talks about suikoden 1 if you have a saved game from it on your memmory card, he says about you killing your father
jeane is the coolest char

Post by jeane is the coolest char »

then the characters will run around and shoot eachother :lol:
i don't think magic + modern time really mix well :(
i have bad grammer >.<
Jeane is my hero
Justice

Post by Justice »

I highly doubt Suikoden will ever be set in a more modern world. The series has a world that has been extensively worked on and it fits the games quite well. The only link to a gun-happy-world we know today is The Howling Voice Guild with their weapons, which may appear more often in future games.

There's a rather large easter egg in Suikoden IV to the Konami game Shadow of Memories/Destiny (also by Junko Kawano), but I will not discuss that here.
Engulf the True Words
Chaos_Zero

Post by Chaos_Zero »

If you want Suikoden in the modern world, watch Suikoden: Demon Century, the anime. Not based off the games, but it's a Suikoden set in the real world.

I think it sucked at best, meh.
The Miraculous Epidemic, Cruel Salvation, and Merciful Genocide.
DeadStreetApostle

Re: easter eggs

riou83 wrote:spoiler

I know in metal gear solid, Psychomantis talks about suikoden 1 if you have a saved game from it on your memmory card, he says about you killing your father

Ah! That sounds hauntingly familiar..heh, thanks!
See the power of the science.
DeadStreetApostle

Justice wrote:I highly doubt Suikoden will ever be set in a more modern world. The series has a world that has been extensively worked on and it fits the games quite well. The only link to a gun-happy-world we know today is The Howling Voice Guild with their weapons, which may appear more often in future games.
I guess it was implied that when I said a more modern world I was refering to Metal Gear like antics with weaponry and the such and but what I meant was like..suburbs, parks, schools and like..ruins. Okay I haven't thought it out that much but I think it would be possible. It would be like River City Ransom meets Persona meets..Rockman.exe. >_>;;
The Black Knight

Post by The Black Knight »

I thought it was really cool when Psycho Mantis said: "You like to play Suikoden." I thought that was pretty cool.
What the Futch!!!!

Vagueness is my specialty.
Arcana

Post by Arcana »

Anyone have skins for the Sims? Putting your Suikoden characters into a Sims game is a pretty huge riot.

I might have to break out my copy of Simcity 4 and map out the Jowston states or something now.

As for the topic at hand... outside of a few actual easter eggs, I don't envision a current-day Suikoden. If there was one, I think it would be pretty similar to Vampire: The Masquerade in theme.
-- Arcana

http://suikoden.mine.nu
Suikoden: Pro Patria Mori
- Suikoden Fiction Writing Game.
A land in turmoil... a Rune rediscovered.
Who will be the next Tenkai Star... could it be you?
LGM

Post by LGM »

I would suspect that Konami is just trying to get people to buy more than one of their games. If you you know game X unlocks such and such on your favorite game, you may be persuaded to buy it. And you may like that game as well.

Seems like a pretty good business move to me.
Doo-Doo-D-Doo, Doody-Doody-Doody-D-Do....
deathmf

Post by deathmf »

LGM wrote:I would suspect that Konami is just trying to get people to buy more than one of their games. If you you know game X unlocks such and such on your favorite game, you may be persuaded to buy it. And you may like that game as well.

Seems like a pretty good business move to me.
Ya. Something like Monster Rancher's thing where u put in certain discs and you get new monsters. maybe Konami will make it where u can unlock secrets like new rune or hidden character if u put in one of their other games
fake_flame

Post by fake_flame »

and i heard about this somewhere ... cant remember it
Castlevania is very similar to Sierra-Neclord-Rean-Khan is it ?
-- [fAkE_fLaMe] --
Hxc Flavor

Post by Hxc Flavor »

I think it is very possible that future Suikoden games will take place in more modern settings. Just look at the Final Fantasy games. While all the storylines are different, the earlier ones take place in medieval times and then got more advanced as the games progressed. Since all Suikoden games are connected by the same calendar and world, and Final Fantasy games aren't, it may be make it harder to make more modern settings for future Genso games.... but who knows.
"I'd be happy to demonstrate its sharpness on your neck."
KoboldsRule

Post by KoboldsRule »

Personally, I'd be happy if Suikoden stayed just where it is; roughly medieval with some odd bits of technology here and there. I simply prefer swords and spells to guns and gadgets. :P

Besides, Suikoden doesn't need high tech - it would ruin the flavor of the setting; besides, we already have a Final Fantasy.
<tba>
RageRune

Post by RageRune »

Besides, Suikoden doesn't need high tech - it would ruin the flavor of the setting; besides, we already have a Final Fantasy.
True. But i would'nt mind having somewhat some advanced technology in future suikoden games. Just not the level of FF or Xenosaga.