I noticed a few inconsistencys in Suikoden 2, opinions?

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Xirix

I noticed a few inconsistencys in Suikoden 2, opinions?

Post by Xirix »

I've recently played 1 through 4 after loving Suikoden V so much, and 2 is now my second favourite, even despite it's quite numerous spelling and grammar mistakes, as well as forgetting how to spell characters names.

But two things stuck out for me, I'm not sure if they're simply mistakes, but they compelled me enough to mention them.

First of all, Leon and Kiba both suffered mortal wounds, at least according to the messenger, but later in the game Leon is perfectly fine, I was actually kinda happy that Kiba managed to take down the strategist with him, and then he just happens to still be alive. :?

Also, there's a scene where Jowy quite clearly, and in front of a crowd, stabs Jillia Blight in the stomach with a knife, but she appears later on, again, quite alive. Also after the scene where he tells her to run off with Pilika and start a new life, I believe I ran away from my army to go and duel him at the end, he says that he 'did her in'.

Brilliant game don't get me wrong, but it seems to have a hard time deciding if someone's died or not. :lol:
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Re: I noticed a few inconsistencys in Suikoden 2, opinions?

Post by gilgamesh31 »

Firstly i see that this is your first post, so Welcome to Suikosource! Suikoden II suffers the worst translation of the games or so im told, suikoden III gets alot of names and spelling wrong: Howling voice guild=Roaring Brotherhood...what the shoot?

But when Jowy stabs Jillia its just a doll, infact he actually says something like. "get this doll cleaned up" to Leon strait afterwards. He fakes her death to encourage the Highland army by "sacrificing" her to the beast rune. In truth he sets up a new life for Jillia and Pilika in Harmonia as seen in the best ending.
If it's not found out, a lie becomes the truth.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Mortally wounded doesn't mean the person die, just saying.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Really? I thought the point of "mortally" was that it would kill you. Otherwise, it's just a regular old wounded.
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Can do. But also can just mean serious. I guess in Leon's case they meant 'nearly causing death'.
Mortally:
adverb
1 in such a manner as to cause death:
the gunner was mortally wounded
2 very intensely or seriously:
I expected him to be mortally offended

EDIT: That's the Oxford English Dictionary definition.
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
ttfii

Post by ttfii »

gilgamesh31 wrote:Firstly i see that this is your first post, so Welcome to Suikosource! Suikoden II suffers the worst translation of the games or so im told
I always thought it was the first game. Some of the dialogue is hilariously mistranslated.

"I said retreat! Are your deaf!?"
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

It's just a bad translation, there's no mention of Leon in the Japanese text.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
DoReMi_Vampire

Post by DoReMi_Vampire »

Yeah, most of the inconsistencys are a product of mistranslations, my favorite being from SI where they translate Vincent as Vansan at one point due to the french pronunciation.

At least now I have an image in my head of Leon and Jowy reenacting that scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Jowy: Brave brave Leon! You shall not have died in vain!
Leon: Er, I'm not quite dead sir.
Jowy: ...well you shall not have been mortally wounded in vain!
Leon: I-I think I could pull through sir.
Jowy: Oh I see.
Leon: Actually I think I'm alright to come with you-
Jowy: No no no sweet Leon stay here.
- I've got a warrior's sword with your name on it.

- Of Course I Know Chinchirorin!